Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 604 times

Advertisements

I am a native of Asheville my roots here go back 4 generations. due to all the transients living here now, no it is not a great place to live anymore. We call it mini San Francisco. Cost of living here far exceeds the minimum pay scale unless of course you have very deep pockets or are a doctor or lawyer. Small Town, with a population explosion especially in the past 20 years, and it's only getting worse.. Homeless people all over and the shelters stay full. If you plan on opening up your own business as unique as it may be?, chances are dozens have already beat you to it. yes there are some Beautiful Mountains...whats left of them. It used to be just a tourist spot. Now many of those tourists are packing up and staying. The Southern ways are long gone along with the hospitality. Hard to find anyone actually From here anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 06:09 AM

212 posts, read 426,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
As another gay man, native to NC, let me warn you that NC, previously a Purple, moderate state, has taken a hard, I mean HARD lurch to the political Right in the past two years. Asheville, one of the liberal spots of the state (and there are many), was deliberately gerrymandered by Republicans into the most conservative Congressional district, effective neutralizing its power. Of course NC Republicans forced a ballot measure against same-sex marriage and civil unions/domestic partnerships onto the ballots last May, in an underhanded way to ensure turnout would be low and it would pass (since no November states passed similar measures, we may go down on record as being the last state to pass such a Constitutional Amendment--even though when the NC Legislature was Democratic, the bill was defeated for seven years in a row).

If you want to live where you can marry your partner, NC is not that place, I'm sorry to say (I'm partnered for 30 years and California-married for 4). Asheville is a neat, cool town and I love the state I grew up in, but I don't think it meets the needs you state. Maybe in a decade or so...
Yesterday I heard (on NPR) that there are less Democrats in office, in the aggregate, in municipal through statewide offices, than any time since the 1960s (or something like that). I think it has to do with gerrymandering successes by the Republicans every time they get in the majority of any legislative body and can influence that. That's part of their marching orders through all tiers of government.

I think it also has to do with fomenting fears. The fear of change is a powerful motivator, and unfortunately, change is a-coming.

I love Purple; both sides certainly have many good qualities to bring to the table. Just now, though, the extremes (and the extreme Right is more organized and agitated) are bringing crap.

Here's to hoping that this is a last-gasp pendulum swing to the hard right, and that policies begin to moderate at all levels. Over time, demographics will see to it, when reasoned minds won't. Asheville is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina