Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,428 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are relocating to Waynesville. We spent years waiting to move and finally sold our house last June. I grew up in Ohio and we both lived for many years in SW Florida. We are ready to get out of this state.

I have some questions. We want to rent a house at first. Any idea who is best to contact and what area is good and what area is one to stay away from?

Also, how is the job market? I'm an insurance agent and my husband is a specialty contractor. No kids, only two dogs.

Our plan is to be there by May. Any suggestions and just information about Waynesville in general? We had a house in Franklin but sold it in 2008. Too small of a town in my opinion.

Thanks for your feedback!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 01:51 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,898,630 times
You're moving to Waynesville without jobs lined up? I hope you have some money saved.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 PM

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we have money saved up for the move. We aren't moving until May so we have time to line up jobs.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 PM

306 posts, read 758,624 times
Include Asheville in your job search for a 30 minute commute. Waynesville is a beautiful city located at Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway. However, the money is in Asheville. Both areas are relatively expensive but sounds like you'll be fine with that. You'll have to visit the area to find the best neighborhood considering the fact you are renting. Maybe someone will chime in here. Good Luck!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:57 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,620,372 times
Try a home rental search, eg:
Waynesville NC house rentals - Yahoo! Search Results

Or, hit one of the better known real estate operations that concentrate on Waynesville and area:
waynesville nc realtors - Yahoo! Search Results

I am not in the RE biz, though I do have a few friends in RE.

There are really no areas one must 'stay away from'. The older, less scenic areas of town will be apparent to anyone doing even a cursory search, but there is not 'ghetto' or 'high crime' area of Waynesville, imo.

There are several insurance agencies in town/area; most seem to be small biz agents. The one we have dealt with for 11 years is a family owned operation which is similar to most in town, imo. No idea of the job mkt in that industry, or the pay, in Waynesville.

There are several home building contractors, though all have suffered through the housing debacle of the past few years. Some are well known as quality operations, some not so much. A good specialty contractor may be able to hook up with the GCs in the area, but pay is not comparable to major metro mkts, here in Waynesville or in larger Asheville, imo.

Waynesville is wonderful town and area in our experience of the last 11+ years. It has a thriving downtown, some big box joints on the outskirts, artsy stuff, local businesses, scenry and a very good 'feel', imo. But, someone seeking a relo with the hope of good paying jobs is a stretch, and requires some serious investigation, trips to area, etc.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 01-27-2013 at 06:44 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM

73 posts, read 277,277 times
We have a home in Waynesville and are "snowbirding" there as of this April. No more work for us, so I can't tell you about work. But it is a wonderful place and a great area. We just got back from a week there and were sad to leave. When we go back, we aren't leaving until the fall leaves are gone.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 PM

Thank you for all of your replies. I am eager to learn as much as I can about living in Waynesville. Jobs here where I am are scarce and we have had the highest unemployment by far in the country. There are a lot of foreclosures as well. People who do well here are the "snowbirds" who are retired and live here in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina