Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 PM

36 posts, read 81,983 times

Advertisements

As a new teacher with a family of 3 kids( 4,7,13) we are having a goal of moving to western N.C in the next 2 years. I am a special Ed teacher and will look for work as well as my husband looking for work as an electrician. I have been told by several people to look at Cullowhee area. It is important for us that the school system is GOOD for our kids. Do we need to look at private high schools in Asheville or?

Housing: We want to live in the country but have the convenience of closeby grocery store and not a 2 hour drive to get to home depot. Housing range is $250000 max ( including manufactured home with land, mini farm)
Are we asking too much of the public ed. system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenalogan View Post
As a new teacher with a family of 3 kids( 4,7,13) we are having a goal of moving to western N.C in the next 2 years. I am a special Ed teacher and will look for work as well as my husband looking for work as an electrician. I have been told by several people to look at Cullowhee area. It is important for us that the school system is GOOD for our kids. Do we need to look at private high schools in Asheville or?

Housing: We want to live in the country but have the convenience of closeby grocery store and not a 2 hour drive to get to home depot. Housing range is $250000 max ( including manufactured home with land, mini farm)
Are we asking too much of the public ed. system?
Waynesville would suit you better (imho). Cullowhee and Franklin could be "too" country, less job oppportunities, and isolating for the kids. It helps to know where posters want to relocate from in order to give a better response.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 PM

Thanks
Well,Relocating from North Florida, Husband form GA. lived in CA.NM and originally from Sweden. I like the country but at the same time "need some" good restaurants and stores within reach. Rather deal with the hillbilly than the snooty superior personality. Oldest son wants to and is capable of getting in to a decent college,( not Yale, Harvard or Duke though) and therefore would like to have GOOD schools and is able to pay for private high school, Yes I do know that I have to deal with those superior moms, well, what do we not do for our kids,LOL

Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 AM

221 posts, read 461,742 times
Another high school option that may or may not appeal to you is the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics. It's a public 2-year residential high school in Durham - students apply their sophomore year, and live on NCSSM's campus their junior and senior years. It's competitive to get in, and open only to NC residents. You may not want him living that far away from you, but it's an excellent school (and much easier on the budget than, say, the Asheville School), so if you end up unhappy with the high schools in your area it may be worth a try for a promising young man.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the info, I will check into it!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,568 times
I personally love the Sylva area, but agree that Waynesville is also a very nice area. I would think that with Western Carolina University in the area the schools would be decent.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM

Thank you for the info, Yes, I thought Cogwheel would have decent school, will check on it! I cannot wait to leave this hot sticky state of FL.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,761 times
what lenalogan ? you want to leave fl.? but you will miss the cockroaches ,mosquitoes , meth dens ,high unemployment , retired elderly people who drive 5 mpr and leave a $1 tip on a $40 meal. mounds of trash a the beach ( not to mention the litter as well ).......well at least the wages are low.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:58 PM

17 posts, read 38,970 times
There are two excellent private schools close to Franklin to the South. One being Rabun Gap Nacoochee just across the Ga border. Students there can commute or board. The other is Tallulah Falls High School. Don't know about the commuteing, but the drive from Franklin would be around 30 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina