Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:32 AM

19 posts, read 33,962 times

Advertisements

My wife & I are going to be visiting WNC soon, and I'd like to know what neighborhoods within those towns are worth looking into. We're looking for something outside of the town limits, rural is fine, but not in the sticks. We dont need a nite life scene, or anything to do with the Arts..just some peace and quiet, and a good fishing hole! Shopping within town isn't necessary (but would be nice), traveling maybe 10-15 minutes is very do-able. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 06:48 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,564,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jistetz View Post
My wife & I are going to be visiting WNC soon, and I'd like to know what neighborhoods within those towns are worth looking into. We're looking for something outside of the town limits, rural is fine, but not in the sticks. We dont need a nite life scene, or anything to do with the Arts..just some peace and quiet, and a good fishing hole! Shopping within town isn't necessary (but would be nice), traveling maybe 10-15 minutes is very do-able. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, J

Those three towns cover a very wide area, and they are all different. Swannanoa, closer to AVL. Waynesville, lovely, about 25 miles west of AVL. Brevard, cute very small town, kind of isolated out via Rt. 280, mountain backdrop, only highway to I-26 interstate is 280 or go around 64 into HVL. Or, go up and over the mountain by Ceaser's Head.

You need to check either Google maps, Mapquest, etc. and measure mileage. As for neighborhoods, your question frankly is much too broad. Cannot possibly cover your request without detailed information, and even though I am a retired western NC Realtor, I'd love to give you more info, but you need to do more research first. It takes at least two or three 4 or 5 day visits to each area to get a 'feel" for it. Then there is, house? condo? villa? mountain view? price range? yada yada.

Feel free to c'mon back and ask more when you decide on a "radius" around Asheville. 15 miles should cover a multitude of places.

Best to you.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Those three towns cover a very wide area, and they are all different. Swannanoa, closer to AVL. Waynesville, lovely, about 25 miles west of AVL. Brevard, cute very small town, kind of isolated out via Rt. 280, mountain backdrop, only highway to I-26 interstate is 280 or go around 64 into HVL. Or, go up and over the mountain by Ceaser's Head.

You need to check either Google maps, Mapquest, etc. and measure mileage. As for neighborhoods, your question frankly is much too broad. Cannot possibly cover your request without detailed information, and even though I am a retired western NC Realtor, I'd love to give you more info, but you need to do more research first. It takes at least two or three 4 or 5 day visits to each area to get a 'feel" for it. Then there is, house? condo? villa? mountain view? price range? yada yada.

Feel free to c'mon back and ask more when you decide on a "radius" around Asheville. 15 miles should cover a multitude of places.

Best to you.
Well, for starters 25 miles outside of AVL would be ideal (even tho I know Brevard is farther than that) We'd love a mountain view, but dont need to be IN the mountains..and we would most likely, rent a place to see if its where we want to permanently reside.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,324,534 times
if you want peace and quiet and a fishing hole, try the foothills. That way you can look AT the beautiful blue ridge without having to be IN a mountain area or ON a mountain. Big difference. McDowell Rutherford Burke Wilkes parts of Henderson counties.

note this is not where your OP was asking, locations which are a little more bustling at least during the tourist season although you can find peace and quiet for a price.

Bottom line, visit and see what suits. Honestly until you visit you can't really give quilter enough info to steer you where you want to go.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
if you want peace and quiet and a fishing hole, try the foothills. That way you can look AT the beautiful blue ridge without having to be IN a mountain area or ON a mountain. Big difference. McDowell Rutherford Burke Wilkes parts of Henderson counties.

note this is not where your OP was asking, locations which are a little more bustling at least during the tourist season although you can find peace and quiet for a price.

Bottom line, visit and see what suits. Honestly until you visit you can't really give quilter enough info to steer you where you want to go.
that's understandable, but my biggest concern right now is finding a pain management center that takes NY state workers comp . I've made several calls and found one each in Hendersonville & Asheville..thats why I put a 25 mile radius around AVL.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,197,419 times
Sounds like H'ville or nearby is the spot. I think you answered your own question.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Sounds like H'ville or nearby is the spot. I think you answered your own question.
what is nearby?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,324,534 times
Did you check around Winston Salem? They have a great hospital system and medical school there and you might like it. if they take your insurance. it is within decent driving areas of peace and quiet.

Just offering options since it is hard to make decisions when you don't know the area well.

Just saying because my sister has fibromyalgia and my heart aches for her and what she goes through. So I understand the need for medical care can be preeminent in your choice. She had to leave home and go to Knoxville, but she has gotten excellent care there and is now stable on her meds and pain control.

But good luck. Hope you find that you need.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:03 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,624,289 times
The Net can be helpful, esp from long distance...

-Here is a quick Yahoo page listing 'pain mgmt centers' in western NC:
Pain Management center Western NC - Yahoo! Search Results

No idea if they will accept NY workers comp. Give some a call...

Any/all of the towns the OP mentioned either have or are close to the items on the wish list: RE options, mtns, fishing, big box stores, nice down towns, semi-rural to rural areas, decent roads, big buck mtn communities to apts with every kind of housing in between.

GOOG Map of 'area', can be zoomed in using map or sat settings:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ashev...+Carolina&z=10

Agree the wish list needs to be better defined, though I suspect the OP really needs a trip or three, in person, spending some time driving around looking.
GL, mD

Old 09-11-2012, 02:26 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,564,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jistetz View Post
Well, for starters 25 miles outside of AVL would be ideal (even tho I know Brevard is farther than that) We'd love a mountain view, but dont need to be IN the mountains..and we would most likely, rent a place to see if its where we want to permanently reside.
Another helpful feature of the Google or MapQuest searches as you may know, is to click on "satellite view", and zoom in to see the mountain range(s), the valleys, and elevations etc. That will give you the best topographical information prior to your visit. As MotorDavid said, all of the items on your wish list can be found in western NC, it's just a matter of actually being there to get the feel of it and learn how long it takes to get from one place to another for your daily needs and outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina