Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 PM

5 posts, read 8,583 times

Advertisements

I was sent up from Charlotte for a contract job in Asheville. I was given recommendations to check out Waynesville for cheaper-priced rent in nice areas since it's only 30 mins away, and AVL is a bit more costly. I think my biggest worry is the snow, and finding a place that may have me stuck during a workday. I plan on visiting the town this weekend just to gauge the commute, but can anyone recommend any rental companies, apartments, or sections of town to consider? I'm used to small town and rural life, so the overall experiencein would be nothing new. Mountain life, however, is.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 04:41 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,592,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecadia View Post
I was sent up from Charlotte for a contract job in Asheville. I was given recommendations to check out Waynesville for cheaper-priced rent in nice areas since it's only 30 mins away, and AVL is a bit more costly. I think my biggest worry is the snow, and finding a place that may have me stuck during a workday. I plan on visiting the town this weekend just to gauge the commute, but can anyone recommend any rental companies, apartments, or sections of town to consider? I'm used to small town and rural life, so the overall experiencein would be nothing new. Mountain life, however, is.

Thanks in advance!

Check the Bell Forest apartment complexes on Long Shoals Road, Asheville. They also have several other apartment complexes in the Asheville area within 5 miles.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,252,210 times
I think you would like Waynesville a lot, but I used to commute from there to Asheville once a week, and it's a 45-minute drive, actually. I did travel it in snow, but obviously if there's a whole lot of snow, can't go anywhere even if you live IN Asheville. There are closer "small towns" that would be much quicker for you, but as for rent cost, I'm not sure, but you can check.

South of Asheville, Hendersonville, is a town a lot of people commute from, to Asheville. North of Asheville is Weaverville, an even smaller town, and is closer. Actually, if you get into a neighborhood in Asheville that is affordable and that you like a lot, diff areas of town are so unique that it can become its own sort of "town." West Asheville is a good example, it has its own two-block "downtown," but you have to deal with lots of traffic to get into town from there along Patton Avenue. But it depends on the location of your work, because if it's south or west, it's not hard becuz other routes aren't as busy as Patton.

I prefer North Asheville, there are rental homes and apartments all up in there that you might get a good deal on, you just have to look, we can't give links to rental management groups. Just do a general search of "Homes for Rent Asheville," and you should get plenty of websites that will give you an idea of the price range, could be it won't be as expensive as you think, especially given the mileage and gas to do a daily commute from, say, Waynesville. Asheville is really not all that unwieldy, either, to get around. Of course, if you're looking to rent an apartment, there are plenty of places with diff prices and diff feels to them. One place that is fairly inexpensive is the Manor Inn apartments on North Charlotte Street, they are inside a historic building, and that's a pretty area to live in, and its neighborhood is Albemarle Park and is a close-knit community.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,886,258 times
you might save 200-300 dollars on rent, but will have to spend lots of money for gas and quite some spare time. I don't think it's worth it.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,642,319 times
We have lived here in W'ville for 11 years. Built a house on the mtn, retired bums, we love it. Decent downtown, no empty storefronts, artsy fartsy, and has big box stores on either end of town.

As gigimac noted, it is 30-45 mins to A'ville depending on where one is going in Asheville area. Traffic is cake compared to our previous NYC metro area, but the natives here may think it's crowded.

Waynesville doesn't really have any 'bad' or undesirable areas, imo. Crime is occasional break in, domestic fight, the usual in any small town.

I have no idea of the rental mkt or rental pricing here, other than some pricey mtn homes/condos that are meant to be pricey for summer, fall rentals. There are some apartment buildings, (most fairly new), and several condo buildings in area.

Getting around in winter is variable, and very dependent on elevation and type/width of road: we live at ~5,000 ft and there will be days when nothing is going to get down the mtn. In town, at ~2600-2800 ft elevation, not really a problem unless there is major snow storm and no one is moving in most/any of the area towns. North facing roads, in the higher elevations are a potential prob in winter. Ice storms are very infrequent; snow is more common. Winter tires or good AWD/four wheel drive can help, but some roads are very windy and shaded.

GOOG Waynesville, NC home rentals, Waynesville,NC Apartment rentals, and same for condos...there are pages of sites and info.

Not pumping W'ville, as if I had to show up at an office/work every day in A'ville, the commute may present a problem.
GL, mD

Old 08-22-2012, 02:22 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 773,459 times
What area of Asheville would you be working in?

Old 08-22-2012, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 8,583 times
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll take a look at North Asheville area first. Given the cost of rent/commute ratio, it seems much better for me.
I work close to downtown, so I have no problem getting to the interstate in under 5 minutes.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,481,323 times
Maybe they meant the canton/candler area(which you could check into)? Because I can't see how Waynesville would be cheaper as there aren't many rentals to begin with and as others noted, the gas and wear and tear on your car will make it a mute point. Another area to look into is south asheville/fletcher. There are plenty of cheaper apartments/shared housing/etc in that area.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,886,258 times
I would suggest weaverville. you can be in downtown Asheville in 10-15 minutes and I found it to be much cheaper than asheville (when looking for a home).

Old 08-23-2012, 08:40 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 773,459 times
I may be screwing myself with this advice (as I think me and you may have a meeting scheduled for looking at a rental property in Waynesville later today ) but if you are working in downtown I would not suggest driving back and forth from Waynesville each day. I did it for 20 years back when gas was $1 to $2 a gallon. No way I'd do it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina