Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 01:33 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,061,249 times

Advertisements

This is being displayed on the Virtual Blue Ridge Parkway FB site.

Dammit. We were up there just a few days ago and noted that some sections of the road are in kinda bad shape. There are a number of signs displaying 'ROUGH ROAD' warnings. Do PEOPLE have to add to the damage?

Too bad this person's face wasn't in profile. I'd like to see her identified and shamed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 01:51 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,661,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
This is being displayed on the Virtual Blue Ridge Parkway FB site.

Dammit. We were up there just a few days ago and noted that some sections of the road are in kinda bad shape. There are a number of signs displaying 'ROUGH ROAD' warnings. Do PEOPLE have to add to the damage?

Too bad this person's face wasn't in profile. I'd like to see her identified and shamed.

Looks like she is leaving her autograph.

You can't fix stupid.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:49 PM

23,043 posts, read 34,522,639 times
Some people have no respect for nature or themselves. Wish she was forced to pay a BIG fine!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:22 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,495,272 times
Have you sent this to the BRP pisgah district rangers? Contact email here: Contact Us - Blue Ridge Parkway If you don't I will. I've called in people doing stuff before. It makes me so angry. I've talked to rangers and they really really appreciate anyone reporting anything like this, even in the middle of the night. They have such a small budget that they have few rangers and a lot of miles to cover so its hard to enforce this stuff. These signs costs a lot of money to replace. saklfjdksljfdslk ANGRY EYES!

Also, if anyone ever sees stuff like this, get their license place number and call it in. Even though they can't charge them unless an officer sees they can at least pay them a visit at home and scare them: works best when its teens drinking alcohol at night .

Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,061,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Have you sent this to the BRP pisgah district rangers? Contact email here: Contact Us - Blue Ridge Parkway If you don't I will. I've called in people doing stuff before..
That information was posted to the FB page; I bet the ranger has received an abundance of notification.

I've noticed a number of cutback measures taken on the Parkway. You no longer see trash cans at nearly every overlook; Cumberland Knob doesn't appear to be staffed (maybe on the weekends? the older gentleman that used to be there was good for a lot of stories); at some of the places where restrooms are provided, you're asked to take any trash to an outside dumpster.

If there is one US feature that I believe should be immune to budget cuts, it's our national and state treasures. The BRP is an awesome road to just toodle along. Low speed regulated, minimal commercial presence, clean; I enjoy getting up there by car or motorcycle and being able to forget the lower elevation life for a day. And then someone like that comes along and takes a crap on it. I'm hoping that the photographer who bothered to take a picture of the person also got one of the car they came in.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:25 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,661,183 times
Default Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
That information was posted to the FB page; I bet the ranger has received an abundance of notification.

I've noticed a number of cutback measures taken on the Parkway. You no longer see trash cans at nearly every overlook; Cumberland Knob doesn't appear to be staffed (maybe on the weekends? the older gentleman that used to be there was good for a lot of stories); at some of the places where restrooms are provided, you're asked to take any trash to an outside dumpster.

If there is one US feature that I believe should be immune to budget cuts, it's our national and state treasures. The BRP is an awesome road to just toodle along. Low speed regulated, minimal commercial presence, clean; I enjoy getting up there by car or motorcycle and being able to forget the lower elevation life for a day. And then someone like that comes along and takes a crap on it. I'm hoping that the photographer who bothered to take a picture of the person also got one of the car they came in.

Yes, I understand that times are difficult financially for the Blue Ridge Parkway resulting in cutbacks for staffing, etc.

I have been a member of the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation for several years. Let's keep the BRP solvent, every little bit helps in donations. If the folks out there would like to learn about the BRP Foundation, here is the link to this very worthy cause for those of us who love everything western NC has to offer and take pride in helping keep the BRP special.

Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation

Old 07-26-2012, 07:22 PM

4,804 posts, read 10,683,730 times
Agree with Silverwing and Quilter Chick...
no excuse for that behavior.

I rode a long segment of the BRPkway twice this week; didn't see a cop or worker.
Sad that the politicos, most of whom couldn't balance their own checkbooks, cut funding for all the various levels of 'parks', so they can get in line and chest pound about their new found fiscal responsibility.

Like QC, we have been a BRPF member/donor since we got here in Sept 2001...
GL, mD

Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 PM

27,340 posts, read 44,473,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I rode a long segment of the BRPkway twice this week; didn't see a cop or worker.
Sad that the politicos, most of whom couldn't balance their own checkbooks, cut funding for all the various levels of 'parks', so they can get in line and chest pound about their new found fiscal responsibility.
My sentiments exactly and my latest number one on the list of things that tick me off. Billions of dollars thrown down the toilet without a second thought on meaningless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan because the warbirds in power can't back down out of a pissing match, so let's make it up on the backs of taxpayers in the form of education and public service cutbacks. Seems fair...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina