Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 AM

42 posts, read 151,663 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Florida . I'm originally from NY. Looking to move my family of 4 to the mountains of Western North Carolina. Have to save a bit. I'm discussed of the skorching heat, people, & crime. I'm looking forward to a bit of cooler weather, season changes which I've truly missed, & hoping to have a breathtaking view of the moutains instead of noisy neighbors. What I'm looking for is an area that the homes are affordable 3 bedroom 2 bath, private with lots of trees surrounding property yet family friendly neighbors, near excellent middle & high schools, low in crime, close to town for shopping etc... I'm working with a realtor but I want to hear for the residence to get true sense of the areas. I'll be taking trips up in the summer to sightsee the areas of interest. I want to make the right discussion for my family because lets face it...it gets pretty darn expensive to keep moving from place to place....I've given Florida 10 years of my life hoping that it could work for us...I've desided this is the time to do it...I'm hoping that you guys out there could help me out for honest information...I would truly appreciate it...we are so excited on the move...we can't wait. See you guys real soon....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 11:13 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypurrs13 View Post
I'm currently living in Florida . I'm originally from NY. Looking to move my family of 4 to the mountains of Western North Carolina. Have to save a bit. I'm discussed of the skorching heat, people, & crime. I'm looking forward to a bit of cooler weather, season changes which I've truly missed, & hoping to have a breathtaking view of the moutains instead of noisy neighbors. What I'm looking for is an area that the homes are affordable 3 bedroom 2 bath, private with lots of trees surrounding property yet family friendly neighbors, near excellent middle & high schools, low in crime, close to town for shopping etc... I'm working with a realtor but I want to hear for the residence to get true sense of the areas. I'll be taking trips up in the summer to sightsee the areas of interest. I want to make the right discussion for my family because lets face it...it gets pretty darn expensive to keep moving from place to place....I've given Florida 10 years of my life hoping that it could work for us...I've desided this is the time to do it...I'm hoping that you guys out there could help me out for honest information...I would truly appreciate it...we are so excited on the move...we can't wait. See you guys real soon....

Kitty, while I certainly appreciate what you are hoping to accomplish, you should know this, exquisite views of the mountains in NC can be very pricey. Even if you find a home and area like you describe it is very unlikely to have everything on your wish list. For instance, to be close to a town for shopping you are looking at homes in the $500's and up. If you need something more affordable than that you will be further away from towns and sometimes good schools too. And what about jobs? Will you need to look for one? If so, our mountain communities are not the best places to find good jobs. Can you tell us what kind you would be looking for?

Old 09-23-2007, 11:28 AM

So as not to discourage you too much, I do have once suggestion of a place you could at least start your search - Marion, which is in McDowell county. I always enjoy getting off I40 at their exit and stopping at the Welcome Center - it has a very nice view of the mountains. Not sure about schools, maybe someone else can chime in on that. Here is one listing I just found searching quickly on the internet - it says it has a view, but it is not shown in the picture:

McDowell County Real Estate, Marion Real Estate, McDowell County Real Estate, Joanne Howle Realty

Old 09-23-2007, 11:31 AM

oops, just noticed that link will only take you to the realtors page - scroll down that page to the bottom where houses are listed and click on the one on Plantation Dr. - that's the one I was talking about with a view.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:34 AM

42 posts, read 151,663 times
My husband is medically disablied with his back from NYC EMS.....I was working up until he took a bad fall & his increase doc visit started to interfere with my job...I'm a stay at home mom now which I enjoy...we make ends meet like most folks....we're on a fixed income....thanks for asking....I understand that mountain views come with a price...it doesn't have to be right on the mountain....as long as I have on from my porch in the distance so I could stare, take a healthy deep breathe, & see an incredible sunset...my younger son at the time we move will be starting middle school....my oldest will be starting college...he hasn't desided on one yet...he is interested in auto mechanic & basketball...I'm praying there is a place out there for us.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina