Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 68,678 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am considering a move to Asheville and want to find out more about the best areas of the city to live. I am currently searching for a job there, so don't have that to go on yet, but I will be renting. I'm looking for an energetic and pretty area of town that isn't suburban. I'm a 30-year-old single woman who wants to be near coffee shops, art, yoga, shopping, farmers' markets and access to hiking trails. I basically want to live in the part of Asheville that makes me say, "THIS is why I moved to Asheville."

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 08:59 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,405 times
Hi Katie,

What is it you do, and any idea of what you can bear in the way of rent? Often the latter helps people here narrow the available neighborhoods down some.

I realize the answer to the "how much" will be dictated by the job you land, which is why I asked what you do.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 68,678 times
Thanks for the help. I work in public relations and advertising management.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,405 times
Before I get sidetracked yet again, I'll offer three to keep this thread alive until somebody else chimes in. I'd probably start by looking at:

North Asheville, somewhere near Merrimon and probably not far from UNC Asheville.
West Asheville
Biltmore Park - May be too "suburban" for you since it is a planned development of retail, housing and offices that is only a few years old.

"Pretty" is subjective, but the one thing you will notice here is you can stand in a Wal-Mart parking lot, take a deep breath, and if you expand your field of view beyond the parking lot you'll see mountains.

The job thing is going to be the tough task. Mrs. Mule works in the PR field, but works independently. None of her clients is in Asheville or the surrounding region, and she's told me if her livelihood depended on finding work in this area, we'd probably be moving. That said, do not rule out someplace you know that does not have a problem with telecommuting.

I'm sure (at least I hope I'm sure) others will chime in with more suggestions about where to look.

Good luck, in both the job search and the search for an area to live.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Rents in the "city" will be high; if the OP has transportation, living within a 10 mile radius of the city should be more affordable. I'd suggest possibly Weaverville, for its character and proximity to the city. Or possibly Leicester (pronounced "lester"). Areas near Bent Creek give good highway access and accessibility to Arden, Fletcher, the airport etc. The Sweeten Creek Road area in So. Asheville has many nice apartment complexes and easy access to I40 and downtown Asheville, Biltmore Av. etc. There are also nice apartment complexes along Rt.25 heading into Asheville, and a fairly new place off Rt. 280 near 25. Living downtown might be a "romantic" idea, but in reality, something quite different.

I am wondering if the OP has spent any time in and near Asheville and its surrounding areas. The cardinal rule is to never relocate anywhere without having employment lined up, and without spending some time visiting suggested areas for a minimum of a few weeks, visiting shopping locations, observing local habits and cost of living, and "frame of reference" can be a deciding factor for comfort level vs. where you are relocating from.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 AM

37 posts, read 132,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieinMemphis View Post
Hi! I am considering a move to Asheville and want to find out more about the best areas of the city to live. I am currently searching for a job there, so don't have that to go on yet, but I will be renting. I'm looking for an energetic and pretty area of town that isn't suburban. I'm a 30-year-old single woman who wants to be near coffee shops, art, yoga, shopping, farmers' markets and access to hiking trails. I basically want to live in the part of Asheville that makes me say, "THIS is why I moved to Asheville."

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Hi KatieinMemphis,

Unfortunately the job is the hard part... so good luck! The good news is that city is small enough that even if you live outside of the city limits, all of the things you mentioned are going to be just a short drive away. However, if you want to be among the things you mentioned, here are my humble suggestions:

Downtown: To truly experience Asheville, downtown is the place to be - no question. You would have your pick of local shops/boutiques, yoga & holistic health, markets & farmers co-ops, etc. But the COL there is prohibitive for most, so...

West Asheville: This is the most "up & coming" area of the city and has attracted a lot of trendy businesses, primarily along Haywood St. And its cheaper than downtown. Plus, a short bus or bike ride across the river will get you downtown.

Woodfin: I've heard this area just north of town is becoming like West Asheville. It's also a great location with close access to the university & Merrimon Ave. which has a lot of traffic but also a much more "local" feel than south Asheville.

Black Mountain: This town is a bit of a drive from downtown Asheville (about 15-20 minutes) but I mention it because it has its own distinctive vibe IMO. It has a quaint downtown and has all of the things you mentioned I think. However, it may be too far removed to feel truly part of Asheville.

Hope this helps! Come visit, spend some time because no matter how much advice you get, only you can decide what fits.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 25,632 times
Hi. My name is Mary. I am planning on relocating to the Black Mountain and area in about 1 1/2 years time. I will be retiring and turning 65 years this coming January. My little doggie, who just turned 15 years and I are both seniors, but we are both very active. I am planning on starting my own business, again. I am looking for a place for about $600, nor more than $700. I would like to be able to have a little garden to grow my veggies. Any suggestions? Mary Lotus Butterfly

Old 05-20-2016, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 8,483 times
Hi! 64 year old female retiring teacher looking to relocate from Boston!! Where is the best area to look?? Looking for approx 1200/ month or less!! Thank you!

Old 05-20-2016, 02:36 PM

411 posts, read 614,372 times
Wongmary- That rent limit is going to be tough. Are you willing to live with other people?

Old 05-20-2016, 07:47 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,528,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susieisanartist View Post
Wongmary- That rent limit is going to be tough. Are you willing to live with other people?
You are replying to a one-time poster from 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina