Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:26 PM

16 posts, read 24,404 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am deciding between Greenville, SC and Asheville to live.

I'm moving from SF Cal and am in the natural products industry and studying holistic nutrition...I live a green life and wonder which town would suit me better...Asheville or Greenville?

I appreciate the environmental consciousness of Asheville, which is one of the reasons I am considering this move. However, please do not take this personally, but the feeling I get upon simply visting is it seems to be very crunchie/grungy/dingy....as I said, I love the environmental and holistic health consciousness, but I also love being clean and taking showers!! In the Bay area, there are pockets of this grunginess in Berkeley and in the city/SF, but overall it's not the signature of the town like it seems to be in Asheville. Environmental and holistic consciousness doesn't have to hand and hand with this! Maybe this is simply the surface of what one sees upon visiting, but is there more refinement and culture than just dead heads with greasy hair and dread locks walking about the city?

I eat very healthy and organically and am also somewhat of a foodie, but am picky about ingredients etc. Wondering also are there good organic (free range meats, grass fed cows) etc. (the slow food model) local food restaurants that serve quality as well?

I know I can find what I'm looking for anywhere (there are pockets of like minded people) and it is what I make it, but just curious if anyone can comment on a comparison if anyone has had to make the same decision as me or have lived in both places.

Any input between the two towns....for 1. holistic living 2. good food, but healthy food and 3. worldly/culture (I have lived all over the world and need a diverse mix around me). 4. access to nature 5. green, tree lined neighborhoods. 6 open mindedness/tolerance for diversity (goes with #3 above).

Thanks!
Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 10:32 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,420,390 times
Susanem, Asheville is a serious organic and farm-to-table restaurant city.

Foodtopian Society | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

Asheville Independent Restaurants | Welcome

Asheville Independent Restaurants Strive to Create a Gluten-Free Destination | CarolinaEpicurean

Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project:

http://www.asapconnections.org/

Organic Groceries:

http://www.buyappalachian.org/search/grocers

Green Products Business Help:

http://www.advantagegreen.org/cluste...ural-products/

http://www.advantagewest.com/content...4/section/food

http://abtech.edu/sbc/naturalproductslab.asp

http://ncalternativecropsandorganics...-training.html

I'm not sure what sort of cultural events you like, but here's a start.

Arts & Entertainment | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

The Laurel Of Asheville Magazine : Asheville Lifestyle, Communities, Arts & Culture

Asheville NC Vacation Travel Guide

Asheville, North Carolina

Rapid River Magazine

Here's a cool magazine for women in business.

Western North Carolina's Smartest Magazine for Women - The New VERVE

There is not a ton of ethnic diversity compared to California, but California is considered one of the most diverse places in the U.S., so there's no competing with it for a small city in the mountains. However, Asheville is very liberal and tolerant.

No, Asheville is not all dreadlocks. Different parts of town have different types of residents.

Greenville has a lot of restaurants, but very few are organic/local produce. There is no comparison to Asheville in that respect. Asheville has made a real commitment to local organic produce.

Greenville is larger and has more jobs, and skews very conservative.

Access to nature? Asheville hands down. It's surrounded by national forests and you can be in them in no time. You can hike, mountain bike, rock climb, fly fish, zip-line tour, and visit waterfalls and slide down a natural water slide in Brevard.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 12-27-2011 at 11:10 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,617,297 times
Shooting Stars is right in most regards.

If your into the natural foods industry/holistic nutrition/"green life", you will much more at home in Asheville - however, competition for this type of business could be brutal.

Coming from SF, CA to even Asheville will be shocking. (Fortunately) there is still a bit of the "old South" ingrained in Western NC. I do not mean racism (although it still exists) but more of mannerly people, slower pace of life, etc. Additionally, Asheville and a diverse populace are not mentioned in the same breath. The Upstate of SC is much more diverse (with BMW [German] and Michelin [French]).

Yes, the Upstate of SC is more conservative than the city of Asheville. However, rural Western NC is just as conservative as parts of the Upstate. Really the only "progressive" areas of the Upstate are the city of Greenville (by far) and perhaps the city of Spartanburg.

Yes, there are few "farm-to-table" restaurants in the Upstate but I would say demand here would be great. Operating costs here could be much lower as well.

Please understand that the cost-of-living in the Upstate of SC (even the city of Greenville) is much lower than Western NC. As an example, just crossing the state line into NC, gas prices are easily 20 cents more per gallon.

It's really about you want: to live in the mountains or have easy access to the mountains. Each has their pros/cons.

So to address your concerns...
1. holistic living: Asheville
2. good food/healthy food: Asheville (however, Greenville does have some wonderful downtown restaurants)
3. worldly/culture: tie (the Upstate of SC is much more diverse; each has some great cultural events but Greenville does have the Peace Center [undergoing significant renovation] and the Bi-Lo Center)
4. access to nature: Asheville (realize that Greenville is a little more than one hour south of Asheville; additionally, elevations greater than 3,000 feet are about 45 minutes north of Greenville, still in SC; lastly, some of the greatest concentrations of waterfalls in the country lie at the NC/SC border)
5. green, tree lined neighborhoods: tie (why do you think they call this city "Greenville" - fantastic neighborhoods here)
6. opened mindedness/tolerance for diversity: Asheville

I've been offered a few positions in western NC and I actually chose Greenville, SC - my reasons: lower cost of living, fantastic downtown area (Greenville) - no comparison to anything in Western NC, family friendly area, better shopping (Whole Foods, Total Wine, Costco, Apple Store, Trader Joe's, etc etc), gentler winters but still four seasons (I despise driving on snow/ice and long periods of frigid cold)

I encourage you to visit both areas - however, IMO, you may feel more "at home" with Asheville

Other resources:
Greenville Convention and Visitors Bureau
Explore Asheville

Last edited by drfranklin; 12-28-2011 at 07:51 AM..

Old 12-28-2011, 10:28 AM

Thank you both for your input and reply. I just tried to post a long reply and hit send and it deleted!

I agree w/ both of you which is why I'm trying to figure it out and am torn.. I am currently living in East tn with family as a stopover until I find my home. I have already dealt with culture shock and have assimilated somewhat...so NC would be a nice change for me! I do have a job - sales territory from Knoxville/Charlotte/Greenville/Asheville and am considering all the cities in NC. I start the job in 3 weeks and will just travel the territory to get a good feel.

I have been house hunting in Asheville, but have been really disappointed which is why I'm expanding my scope. (my budget is $150-170K). I missed wooded, tree lined greenery in Cal due to the dry climate and really want a nice wooded and private backyard. I'm single (41 female...young 41!) with two cats. But would want an inlaw suite or something for rental income but also for someone to look after my cats when I travel. For my price above, that is just under what is possible in Asheville with a complete basement apt.

thanks again for your reply!

Old 12-28-2011, 10:57 AM

You could also consider one of the smaller towns outside of Asheville. I'm partial to Brevard. They have a serious music school that gives concerts, and there is a new path that takes you from downtown right into the forest.

Land of Waterfalls | Brevard & Transylvania County, NC, Tourism: outdoor recreation, arts & culture, accommodations, dining and more!

Agree with Franklin that the smaller towns around Asheville are more conservative than Asheville, but I think Greenville is even more conservative than they are! This is going by presidential voting records which you can look up on City Data by town.

You will pay less for housing in one of the smaller towns outside Asheville, and even less in Greenville.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 12-28-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-28-2011, 11:08 AM

Shooting Stars et al:
The other thing I forgot to say is I want to be no more than ideally 10 minutes from downtown 20 min max. I'm done with having to drive long distances to grocery shop or do yoga etc. as I am doing now and as I did in the bay area...

I am looking at Weaverville to Black Mtn. and can find a home in price range, but just not all the boxes checked of what I want. Do you live in Asheville? What do you do?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:10 AM

p.s. love the gluten free link. I am gluten free and have always managed to find something on the typical menus, but it's so nice when restaurants simply replace wheat flour with garbanzo bean or brown rice flour!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:11 AM

p.s. I know Posano's is totally gluten free and is very delicious! it's right at Pack Sq.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:33 PM

I work at home and I can live anywhere. Right now, I'm in the North Georgia mountains, but I'm thinking about eventually moving to Brevard.

Brevard is the only small town near Asheville that had a full-service grocery store that specialized in locally-grown and organic food.

They were called Poppies Market. I am using past tense because they were forced to vacate their building this past fall when a new landlord wanted to raise their rent. They have vowed to regroup and find a new location in Brevard, and their loyal customers can't wait.

Here is their web site. Brevard NC Gourmet Grocery & Deli - Poppies Gourmet Farmers Market - Fruits/Vegetables - - Poultry/Meat/Seafood - Deli/Bakery

Old 12-28-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanem View Post
p.s. love the gluten free link. I am gluten free and have always managed to find something on the typical menus, but it's so nice when restaurants simply replace wheat flour with garbanzo bean or brown rice flour!
I just recently began to minimize gluten. My business partner just discovered that his digestive issues were because of gluten! He can't tolerate it at all. I have more leeway, but am better off without it.

I made Potatoes Gratin for Christmas and used King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour in the sauce. It worked fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina