Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:37 PM

532 posts, read 1,097,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanem View Post
Shooting Stars et al:
The other thing I forgot to say is I want to be no more than ideally 10 minutes from downtown 20 min max. I'm done with having to drive long distances to grocery shop or do yoga etc. as I am doing now and as I did in the bay area...

I am looking at Weaverville to Black Mtn. and can find a home in price range, but just not all the boxes checked of what I want. Do you live in Asheville? What do you do?
Brevardyoga.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 PM

16 posts, read 28,701 times
Lots of good information here. I'm in the same situation as you Susan, so I'm glad you asked the questions. I'm going to take the liberty of PMing you a site that I've found easy to navigate when looking at real estate.

Good luck,

Old 12-30-2011, 11:09 AM

16 posts, read 24,507 times
Thanks LAMusic guy...I'll check out the link. Went house hunting yesterday in Asheville and am sooooo disappointed. I am looking for green, lush, private and wooded FLAT backyard....everything is either too exposed to neighbors with no real backyard or too isolated in nature (I'm a single female).

I may consider Charlotte as well....I love the look of all the greenery in the neighborhoods there. For some reason Asheville has a lonely and desolate feel to it perhaps b/c it's winter and everything is dead. Perhaps my price range is only getting me run down unimpressive housing options...not sure if it's worth it to live there if my housing situation is not what I need it to be. HOme is important to me..a sanctuary/retreat. my price range is $150-170 and that is not buying much in Asheville.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:08 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,471,865 times
That is a tough budget in Asheville. The smaller towns would be better.

As far as the area looking bleak, well, that's winter in the mountains. Every year I'm amazed by the dramatic transformation of spring.

By the time February rolls around, I think I live in the ugliest place on earth. By late April, I think I live in the most beautiful place on earth.

But everything will be dead in Charlotte right now too. Probably more fun to house hunt in the spring.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:16 PM

Yes, I'm sure it's just the season. I don't want to live far away from a town center with healthy shopping (health food store/WF/Earthfare), yoga studios or restaurants hence why I do not want to look more than 15 min outside of Asheville. I'm done/over it! getting in a car and driving 30+ min for anything....so unless I find that in AVL, I'm going elsewhere.
thanks for your help!

Old 12-30-2011, 12:22 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,471,865 times
That's why I am partial to Brevard. It has all that stuff right in town. No need to drive to Asheville.

Unfortunately, the other small towns don't have organic/local produce grocery stores ... yet. Although, most of them have tailgate markets with organic. But I do understand about needing a full-service grocery.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:29 PM

oh, ok, maybe I'll need to check out Brevard then. But a full service grocery store is a must...however...all my accts are Whole Foods, EarthFares and the like, so I can easily just do the shopping while/after I work. But it's those times when you just want to zip to the store without making it a huge day event and pack in all the errands to make it worthwhile like i've had to do for the past year here in East TN. I work from home a lot of days too.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:59 PM

16 posts, read 28,701 times
How many square feet are you looking for? If you go to that site and use advanced search to guide you to, say, Weaverville there's a seemingly nice property on Confrey Lane, with a basement and flat backyard for around $167k. Of course searching on the web is not like being there in person, but my point is, if I have one, is that some of the towns just outside of Asheville seem to have nicer properties for the money, while still being close to a town center and Asheville itself. Weaverville supposedly is about 15 min to Asheville, but I'm sure one of the locals will correct me if I'm wrong.
Just my .02.

There's even a Weaverville Yoga.

Anyway, I'll be watching what conclusion you finally come to.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:06 PM

I have seen Comfrey Lane and NO! it's nothing like the picture...really odd layout, run down and only two bedrooms. Believe me, I've searched high and low already more than an agent would as well. thanks for your help though.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:56 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,384,901 times
Charlotte is a good choice and it sounds like it meets your criteria. Give it a look see.

My son just bought a house in Monroe, suburb SE of Charlotte, and got a good deal with a nice house and flat yard. Close to everything and not far to go for entertainment. nice trails, hiking, kayaking ,etc

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina