Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 12:33 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,380,656 times

Advertisements

We are staying overnight at Lake Lure tomorrow and I wanted to do something neat, like a scenic drive, or hang out at a creek, a waterfall, something outdoorsy within an hour of Lake Lure.

There was some hiking mentioned in Canton Creek. But I'd love some recommendations. Keep in mind, its thanksgiving day. Chimney Rock is closed.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,668,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
We are staying overnight at Lake Lure tomorrow and I wanted to do something neat, like a scenic drive, or hang out at a creek, a waterfall, something outdoorsy within an hour of Lake Lure.

There was some hiking mentioned in Canton Creek. But I'd love some recommendations. Keep in mind, its thanksgiving day. Chimney Rock is closed.

Thanks in advance.

How about a scenic drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway? it doesn't get more scenic than that. Or take a drive down Kanuga Rd. to Crab Creek Rd. from Hendersonville and about 14 mi. on your left go on up to the DuPont State Forest and visit some waterfalls. There are websites for both areas with maps. You can always take Rt. 74 out of Bat Cave (near Lake Lure) into the Asheville area and head to Boone or Blowing Rock. Everything is scenic in the mountains y'all.

Have a beautiful day !

Old 11-23-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
How about a scenic drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway? it doesn't get more scenic than that. Or take a drive down Kanuga Rd. to Crab Creek Rd. from Hendersonville and about 14 mi. on your left go on up to the DuPont State Forest and visit some waterfalls. There are websites for both areas with maps. You can always take Rt. 74 out of Bat Cave (near Lake Lure) into the Asheville area and head to Boone or Blowing Rock. Everything is scenic in the mountains y'all.

Have a beautiful day !
I wanted to go to DuPont State Forest. Do you know how long it would tkae to get to from Lake Lure?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,193,554 times
Chimney Rock closed? Bummer. Brevard is almost exactly an hour away, according to Google Maps. Known as an area with lots of beautiful scenery, including waterfalls. BRP sounds like an excellent idea.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 PM

Chimney Rock is closed according to their website. DuPont is looking awfully nice. Does anyone know if the Biltmore is open? I couldnt tell from their website. What is in BRP? Is that hiking and scenery? Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I wanted to go to DuPont State Forest. Do you know how long it would tkae to get to from Lake Lure?
Figure about 18 or 20 miles to get back into Hendersonville on Rt. 64 west, will take you downtown. From there get to Kanuga Rd., which turns into Crab Creek Rd. and another 14 easy pretty miles. The roads are windy and two-lane, so I'd say about 1/2 hr. at most. Nice drive.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Chimney Rock is closed according to their website. DuPont is looking awfully nice. Does anyone know if the Biltmore is open? I couldnt tell from their website. What is in BRP? Is that hiking and scenery? Thanks for everyone's help.
"BRP", is Blue Ridge Parkway. Biltmore will be open, but call first to make sure everything is open and not just the dining establishments in there. (As a heads up, save that for another trip. It will take up your whole day to go through there, and very pricey to get in.) Here is a good website for what is going on in the area (not necessarily romantic, though the title). www.romanticasheville.com a comprehensive link.

Adding a thought: please check with the National Park Service or Blue Ridge Parkway organization... parts of it might be closed, and you don't want to get stuck up there not knowing your way around.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:40 AM

33 posts, read 132,524 times
There are hiking/rock climbing trails off of Boy's Camp Road and Garden Lane. A shorter, less strenuous, series of hiking trails is across Hwy 9 from the Ingles Supermarket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina