Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:41 AM

648 posts, read 2,992,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Sorry Cooperwx: I did not start this thread. Ashebound started the thread. My advice to you stands, there is nothing in Asheville around $200,000 and I gave you good advice on the area which is oversaturated. Try to keep up.
Try to keep up? Very nice. I'm starting to agree with gypsychic. A little more courtesy would go a long way. And I already live here, so it's not just felt by those who think you are scaring them away...

My 3BR/2.5BA 2 miles from Biltmore Village might be for sale soon, and my realtor suggests listing for $209k. There are homes to be had in this price range, and with Asheville zips, too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 09:43 AM

474 posts, read 2,202,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
I'm comfortable living on about that, and I'm supporting a family of five. The key is not to overspend on your house. You shouldn't buy a $200k+ house on that income, or you'll be scraping every month...

If the suggested listing price of your home Cooperwx is $209K as you mention, then aren't you contradicting yourself with the above message. You have just confirmed what I've been trying to get across in this thread -- that the average person cannot afford to live in Asheville as there is not much available in that price range. Many want rural, or more land than is available with a home in the $200K range.

I am very in tune to the real estate market in this area and believe in not giving false impressions to out of towners to have their hopes raised, and then be disappointed when they see what is available for their criteria. It is no secret that Asheville and the surrounding areas have attracted retirees for several years, and the prices have been driven up to quite unaffordable levels for what people are looking for. Views, acreage, safe areas, outside of the city.

Your own Realtor will tell you the same, so don't go away mad.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:01 AM

648 posts, read 2,992,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
... the average person cannot afford to live in Asheville as there is not much available in that price range.
Agreed. Anything decent for <$200k is almost impossible to find in Asheville proper.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:32 PM

474 posts, read 2,202,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
Agreed. Anything decent for <$200k is almost impossible to find in Asheville proper.
Merci beaucoup Cooperwx, we are on the same page. I love Asheville, have said it many times ... just wish things would simmer down a bit so folks could enjoy the scenery that unfortunately is getting all cut up by developers who "cut and run".

Old 09-07-2009, 09:39 AM

45 posts, read 160,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Did you not read my post? I said IF they could find affordable housing. I said Asheville was not expensive, as in other day-to-day costs, not the housing. A couple of you on this forum could use an attitude adjustment - sheesh!
I just returned to this forum after a leave of absence...

All of us, including you, gypsychic, could use attitude adjustments.

The economy is putting a lot of pressure on the areas. Believe it or not
there is affordable housing if you drive around the communities. My neighbor is in the real estate market he stated that houses will be on the market over a year. So if a person is looking for a home, has enough cash, can and should bargain the price down on any home.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:14 AM

45 posts, read 160,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewytch View Post
Just for the record too, not everyone moving there from Fl is looking to bulldoze over mountain land and build a subdivision. We are moving from Fl to get away from that among other things that are not friendly to our children. All I want is a small piece of rural land in NC, completely undeveloped, that we can build a modest structure (probably a yurt or dome) on. I don't like gated communities or subdivisions or rampant development anymore than you folks do and I'm from Florida. Right now though opportunities to live our lifestyle exist more in your neck of the woods than they do mine. Transplants have completely ruined Florida ( and I'm a native Floridian so believe me, I know) so I can totally relate to the plight of native NC'ers. I just wanted to reiterate that not everyone moving from Fl wants to replicate Fl or rape and pillage that beautiful mountain land.
Finding some rural area in WNC may be difficult. I like the idea of a yurt.
I thought of having a home built into a mountain or underground. But banks
rarely help inventors.

The most undeveloped land is in Madison County. The only problem with
that county compared to Buncombe County or Henderson County or maybe
Haywood County, it takes over 1 hour to get to civilization to grocery shop and visit any stores.

The developers are in the North Asheville are clearing Reynolds Mtn.
And then there is the Asheville/Fairview area where the Cliffs are being developed courtesy of Tiger Woods.

But there are areas outside of all these places where there is land to buy
and build your yurt.

asheville nc - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina