Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 04:28 PM

474 posts, read 2,194,912 times

Advertisements

Can't say we didn't warn ya'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 06:23 PM

17,561 posts, read 39,217,632 times
I love Asheville. Period.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Well you know we all love Asheville. Great places to dine out, culture, music, street festivals and all. It's just that many people here on CD are asking about housing and needing to find jobs; maintain a family life. Asheville is a tourist area primarily; simply not for the average Joe. Unless you are retired with a brokerage account to draw from, have another home in Florida, and can afford to pay $300K for a fixer upper, are a professional in the medical field -- they can't support a family on $10 an hour ... it ain't for most folks. Anymore.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:42 AM

116 posts, read 446,520 times
If it is helpful at all, we have a friend who worked with Young Life in the Asheville area for 10 years. He thinks Reynolds is one of the better publics in the area. I completely agree with the posts on this thread that say it is about more than the test scores, get in the trenches with your kids, and be involved.
As my sister says who does not even have kids "I am sure glad I am not a kid today!".
~Duke101

Old 04-02-2007, 12:49 PM

22 posts, read 91,112 times
Question How is it for a massage therapist in Asheville?

I am a licensed massage therapist in Florida, and I`m planning relocating to Asheville the next year. I`m wondering if an annually income of 36k to 40k would be ok to have a comfortable life in Asheville. I would love to work on my own rather than working for someone else, like spas, chiropractors, etc. But if there`s no other choice, it`s ok too. Love my profession!

Any advice would be highly appreciate it. THANKYOU!

Old 04-03-2007, 06:35 AM

17,561 posts, read 39,217,632 times
I am also originally from Fla. and I don't find Asheville expensive at all IF you can find housing you can afford. Will you be buying or renting? If you don't have an extravagant taste I still see affordable housing, especially on the outskirts like in the small towns of Weaverville or Black Mountain. There are a lot of holistic and new age healers here, so massage therapy is a good business.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:27 AM

648 posts, read 2,983,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyelina View Post
I`m wondering if an annually income of 36k to 40k would be ok to have a comfortable life in Asheville.
I'm comfortable living on about that, and I'm supporting a family of five. The key is not to overspend on your house. You shouldn't buy a $200k+ house on that income, or you'll be scraping every month...

Old 04-03-2007, 05:36 PM

Cooper, you'll be hard pressed to find a house IN Asheville for that amount of money depending on what your mortgage is. Buncombe County taxes are on the high side and Henderson County taxes are set for another increase. To get anything decent for $200,000 or under, or a little over, you'll have to look about 15 miles out of Asheville, and even then it may be a hard fit for a family of 5, you will need 3 BR's etc. Check some of the local Realtors' websites for average prices. The banks are going to figure your housing budget at approx. 32% of your income, and that is with no debt and excellent credit.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:40 PM

45 posts, read 159,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashebound View Post
I'm not sure what is causing you so much confusion with my question but it seems like you are struggling a bit. I am simply asking what schools are highly thought of in the area and what to stay away from. For instance, is the A.C Reynolds district good or would it be best advised to steer clear of it? Same for Asheville city schools. What about Enka or Erwin? It's ok if the question is a bit much for you. Don't feel the need to search for answers that you don't seem to have.

However, attempting to imply that my question is inane with a juvenile and sarcastic geography lesson is not helpful or accurate.

Why not spread your interests into Buncombe County.

South Asheville is being overdeveloped and for retirees.

Enka Candler is under development and hazardous if you have to drive
a lot on I-40.

I think you would like AC Reynolds. It is in the Fairvew area east of Asheville.
It has a nice reputation for families. It is spread out and growing. But it has
easy access to the interstate system.

And I have heard excellent comments about AC Reynolds. I do not have
children, but I listen to information.

I would stay away from Asheville High School in the city limits for my own
personal reason. (one they have a nursery for the students that have not
graduated from school but have managed to get pregnant. The local hospital does not even have that.

Good luck.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:51 PM

45 posts, read 159,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am also originally from Fla. and I don't find Asheville expensive at all IF you can find housing you can afford. Will you be buying or renting? If you don't have an extravagant taste I still see affordable housing, especially on the outskirts like in the small towns of Weaverville or Black Mountain. There are a lot of holistic and new age healers here, so massage therapy is a good business.

Good luck!
You are comparing Florida to North Carolina. That is comparing apples
to oranges.

Housing is not affordable to any person that is a local here or has lived here full time for more than 30 years.

The first people to jack up the rates were the folks from Florida and retirees.
All they did was double the price of land every 10 years.

The average income in this area is just around $35,000. That is for one
person. The average home with 3 bedrooms required if a wife/husband or couple with a boy and girl costs in the area of $200,000.

Also, there is no such thing as affordable housing unless you call public housing affordable. With all the influx of people they holler, NIMBY.

The small communities, Weaverville, Woodfin, Black Mountain and Swanannoa
are being developed faster than the land can tolerate.

Also, do not forget about all the homes that are foreclosing. Even in this
pretty area.

The locals hope all the developments "crash and burn!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina