Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 PM

17 posts, read 68,915 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are relocating to Western NC this spring and have been searching real estate just outside Asheville, Preferable 25 minutes or so, but up to 40 minutes outside.

We are looking for a private home, in a rural area, but not super far from Asheville. We have come across quite a few homes that interest us in Fairview, and are planning to view the properties this month. We do not want to be in a suburban area of development, but a more private, secluded area. We do have 3 small children and are expecting one more this fall. We homeschool and would be considered a liberal family, but very open minded and accepting. We have lived in many rural areas in the past both in VT and MT and are really looking forward to getting back to that after a 1 year stay in Charleston SC, to be near family, while we house hunt in NC...which I can say is definatly is not for us! ugh the heat/humidity, traffic and crowds we are ready to be done with and get back to the mountains!

Anyway....what can you tell us about Fairview? Other homes we have found of interest are in Weaverville, Mars Hill and Marshall. How about those towns? Curious about community life, general feelings about the area, apperance, upkeep (taxes are so low! esp. compared to VT!) , townsfolk, parks and outdoor spaces available, schools (even though we homeschool I think it says alot about the town!) How about the main streets? What are they like? A cute coffee shop, little bookstore, a nice cafe? Would love to hear all about it fromt he locals.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 24,891 times
All of these 4 towns are very small and do not have much to offer in terms of downtowns. In fact Mars Hill may not even have a grocery store. The closer you get to Asheville, the more amenities the towns tend to have. Marshall has some cool stuff as it is the county seat of Madison. it has a coffee shop, antique shop, and sits on the river. Mars Hill has the college and little else. Weaverville is almost a B&B community for Asheville and has a little more to offer as far as community life, shops, and stores.Fairview does not have a downtown as far as I know, but is closest to Asheville. It has a lot of land for houses as it is close to Black Mountain where I once had a house.

This is only from what I have experienced in my travels and stays in these towns. If it were me, I would look into Black Mountain as it is almost like Mayberry or possibly go in the other direction and look at Cullowee (where WCU is) & Sylva. These are also small towns away from Asheville but have cuter downtowns and more parks and community activities.

Moderator cut: links to competing sites are not allowed per Terms of Service

Last edited by RaleighLass; 07-12-2010 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Against TOS

Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 PM

358 posts, read 983,064 times
I've lived in Fairview my entire life. It's definitely a rural community, so we don't have a downtown. But I can literally be downtown (in Asheville) within 15 to 20 minutes.

I love it here and glad my parents chose this area to raise me. I think you'd definitely like it, here. Where exactly are you looking at property?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,563 times
I think you'd like Marshall very much. Check out some of their websites to get a feel for the town.
Carolina Home + Garden - Neighborhood Watch: Down by the River (http://www.carolinahg.com/pages/issue-archives/summer-09/neighborhood-watch-down-by-the-river.php - broken link)
Marshall, North Carolina
Vicki Lane Mysteries
Madison County, NC: Mars Hill - Marshall - Hot Springs

Old 07-16-2010, 07:36 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmtnpony View Post
All of these 4 towns are very small and do not have much to offer in terms of downtowns. In fact Mars Hill may not even have a grocery store.
Umm....they have always had an Ingles grocery store and last year a new one was built. They have a few small restaurants, a Builders Express for hardware, a library and everything a basic little small town has to offer.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:20 PM

Default Marshall, Weaverville, Leicaster, Alexander or Fairview? Need advice!

Moderator cut: This post moved from duplicate thread:
We are coming up this weekend to view homes just outside Asheville to move in September. We are a pretty liberal family with three small kids and one on the way. Looking for a rural place to call home in the mountains. We want privacy and are used to living in the country. But would like to be able to access Asheville for fun, and probably work. Not looking for a subdivision at all. No close neighbors, a decent size yard/lot, some wooded areas. Access to hiking and outdoor pursuits close by. Don't mind traveling 35 minutes or so to Asheville. We homeschool, but would still like to hear the schools are decent in the area we end up living. And of course low crime rates are important.

My two favorite houses are in Marshall, but I am concerned about distance to Asheville in terms of work. What's the drive like? Anything you can tell me about the Marshall area? Where do people go for groceries and such from Marshall?

How about Weaverville? I hear it's pretty cute and close to Asheville.

The Fairview houses have alot of potential. What's this area like?

I know little about Leicaster and Alexander...so any advice or info about the towns would help out.

In winter, how much snow do these areas get? And in summer...how hot/humid does it get? Is central a/c important in this area or can you do without it?

Thanks!

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-06-2010 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: merged threads

Old 08-04-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
I've lived in Fairview my entire life. It's definitely a rural community, so we don't have a downtown. But I can literally be downtown (in Asheville) within 15 to 20 minutes.

I love it here and glad my parents chose this area to raise me. I think you'd definitely like it, here. Where exactly are you looking at property?
that's good to hear! the property is on whitaker rd. do you know anything about that area specifically? are there parks and outdoor public areas for our kids and i to hike and explore in fairview? closest bookstore? a coffee shop?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
I think you'd like Marshall very much. Check out some of their websites to get a feel for the town.
Carolina Home + Garden - Neighborhood Watch: Down by the River (http://www.carolinahg.com/pages/issue-archives/summer-09/neighborhood-watch-down-by-the-river.php - broken link)
Marshall, North Carolina
Vicki Lane Mysteries
Madison County, NC: Mars Hill - Marshall - Hot Springs

thanks! i think'd liek marshall too. my favorite to homes are there we are considering. but i wonder abotu the drive to asheville. marshall seems to be pretty big and some areas nt he northern part (one of the houses) seem alot further on a map then the other.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,563 times
The drive to Asheville is a piece of cake - all highway - never much traffic until you get south of Weaverville. Marshall is not very big - 840 people. But, yes there are areas that are too far north IMO that would make regular commuting to Asheville a pain. But if you stay within 15 minutes of Marshall (the downtown) you will not be more than that from Ingles and other stores. If you want to PM me I can give you the name of a good local realtor. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
The drive to Asheville is a piece of cake - all highway - never much traffic until you get south of Weaverville. Marshall is not very big - 840 people. But, yes there are areas that are too far north IMO that would make regular commuting to Asheville a pain. But if you stay within 15 minutes of Marshall (the downtown) you will not be more than that from Ingles and other stores. If you want to PM me I can give you the name of a good local realtor. Good luck.
thanks for this great info. we have a realitor we are working with. actually coming up this weekend to hopefully decide on a home to put an offer in on! very exciting. my favorite one on our list is in marshall, not too far out. i believe near the intersection of bear creek and meadow towns rd. do you know the area? the second property i relaly like is way north in marshall. wondering if it will be too far of a drive.

can you tell me anything about outdoor recreation in the area? state parks to explore? anmy swimming holes or lakes for the kids in summer? i heard zuma coffee downtown is cool...gonna try to stop in to see the downtown too.

i like the small town feel. is there a library? are there community events?

thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina