Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 12:24 PM

13 posts, read 27,365 times

Advertisements

Im considering opening a coffee shop in Mars Hill near the college. would love some input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:52 AM

187 posts, read 1,023,234 times
I've always commented that a good coffee shop would be nice in downtown Mars Hill. There certainly isn't any competetion, and with a college in your backyard, I would think it would do really well. There was one on the corner at the main intersection up until a few years ago, but it was an odd little place. No money had been spent on the atmosphere of the place, and the staff was a little put-offish. The books on alternative religions laying around probably didn't go over well with the faculty, staff, and students of Mars Hill College, either. It's been empty ever since.

That being said, I also thought that a nice little restaurant / diner would do well there, and there has been a rotating list of restaurants in the space just a few doors down from the old coffee shop. So, my opinion might not be that valuable. I would definitely buy coffee if a place showed up in Mars Hill, though.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:29 AM

122 posts, read 457,063 times
There was one there until a year or two ago.. Purple Mountain. I loved it and was there often. And I thought the guys were great. They are still in town and doing other projects.
But a new coffee spot would be fantastic! Having to drive to Marshall for a cuppa is too much.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 AM

442 posts, read 1,510,244 times
We were thinking the same thing - Mars Hill needs a coffee shop! But will the local residents pay $3 for a cup of coffee? can college kids afford it? How do you make it a comfortable and inviting place for college kids and adults? I know technically college kids ARE adults - but you know what I mean. Also - we were thinking that The Well Bred Bakery could supply it's wonderful pastries each morning... as you can see we've been dreaming. Along the same line - does anyone think Marshall could use a small outfitters store? Like Bluff Mountain Outfitters up in Hot Springs? Just wondering

Old 04-27-2009, 03:17 PM

122 posts, read 457,063 times
I would make sure that you had both expensive and cheap varieties to choose from.. that way it could be an available spot for all. Same for the goodies.. make it comfy for a leisurely break and efficient for folks in a hurry... both sides of every coin.
As far as the outfitter store... I doubt it. Most of the folks that live in Madison that can afford and outfitter go to Asheville. The one in Hot Springs gets by because of heavy tourist traffic.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:25 PM

442 posts, read 1,510,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenista View Post
I would make sure that you had both expensive and cheap varieties to choose from.. that way it could be an available spot for all. Same for the goodies.. make it comfy for a leisurely break and efficient for folks in a hurry... both sides of every coin.
As far as the outfitter store... I doubt it. Most of the folks that live in Madison that can afford and outfitter go to Asheville. The one in Hot Springs gets by because of heavy tourist traffic.
You are so right about the tourists - but people are doing a lot of things to draw people to Marshall - French Broad Fridays - Zuma's on Thurs. night - The Farmer's Market on Blannahasset - Firewalker Gallery - I really think Marshall can grow - a little and very slowly please to support some more well run, thoughtful businesses. Plus they have some really good tax incentives and building loan programs.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:23 PM

13 posts, read 27,365 times
Oh thank you for all your wonderfull suport and answers. Well you all just may get your wish and yes I would want this to be affordable for all to enjoy and some great bake goods as well. Once again thank you for all your suggestions.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,082 times
I've had all the same thoughts about how fabulous that would be. So, josh1966, are you going forward with this and would it be in that corner location? Would you include local entertainment like Zumas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina