Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,596 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Eastchester, NY and am renting after selling my condo in Bronxville and looking to move into a house with my growing family. After looking all around, we had somewhat settled on Westfield, NJ with Katonah a close second. Due to my inlaws living in Belmar NJ, Westfield had tentatively won out. However, my wife recently came accross a house in Lewisboro that we really love and we drove there today to check out the area. It really seems nice and we are warming to the idea of living there except for the commute.

I work in midtown Manhattan and based on my calculations it would probably be about an hour thirty to an hour forty minutes door to door. Does anyone here live in the area and make this commute? First I'm wondering if I'm calculating this correctly and second I'm wondering if this is just too long of a commute. The only reason I'm considering this, is that although much closer as the crow flies, I think the commute from Westfield wouldn't be too much faster and I would be willing to trade another ~30 minutes to be in a place I think would suit my family better. I think the town would be a great fit for the family (especially wife and kids), but the trade-off would definitely be the commute and not as much time with the family. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who makes this commute.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 05:36 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,565 times
Make sure you factor in parking

https://www.city-data.com/forum/westc...a-katonah.html

Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
If you like the area, it's not that bad of a commute, overall. You could easily be an hour and a half to your office from parts of Queens, so the benefits of living in Lewisboro would outweigh the inconvenience for the most part. From Katonah, the train is about an hour, and a few minutes longer if you use Goldens Bridge. From Lewisboro, depending upon area, Katonah is about 15-20 minutes, and Goldens Bridge is 20-25 minutes. I would think that your door-to-door times are about accurate.

Golden's Bridge has parking that's managed by a contractor, not by a town. Katonah is the Town of Bedford and permits are guaranteed for town residents, though Lot 3 in Katonah (furthest from the station) does have metered spaces. It's best to be on an early train, however, with the metered spaces. Goldens Bridge also has meters, though, per LAZ's website, there is a waiting list for a permit.

You can also park in Lewisboro, near the police station, and catch the HART bus to Katonah that stops at the parking lot. It has a limited-service schedule, but it can be easier than running the risk of not getting a metered space if you're not on a very early train at Katonah or Golden's Bridge.

Since the commute is basically an hour on the train and then the rest walking/in your vehicle, it shouldn't be too arduous, especially if you prefer the area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-28-2010, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,596 times
Thanks for the info. Just put an offer on a place and will see what happens.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Congratulations! I hope it works out for you, since Lewisboro is a great spot.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-11-2015, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 13,193 times
Hey there, curious if you moved and how the commute is going...we are considering moving to South Salem, Lewisboro and my husband would need to commute daily to NYC. Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County