Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 07:25 AM

116 posts, read 373,386 times

Advertisements

We have been actively following the discussions surrounding the possibility of closing one of Katonah/Lewisboro's elementary schools. We've been looking to move to that area for some time, but this gives us pause. Not excited about the prospect of larger class sizes, or the impact on property values.

Wondering if any KL parents can weigh in with thoughts or information on this process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 06:54 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,911 times
Maybe they're closing it due to declining enrollment.
Might not mean increased class sizes.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
It was the projection of declining enrollment, to under 3,000 within five years, and under 2,500 within ten years that prompted the board to investigate the measure to more efficiently run the district. Refocusing resources on education, rather than building maintenance and utility costs would also allow for full-day kindergarten, and enhanced educational opportunities. Redistricting for transportation and elementary school assignments would be part of the plan, but long-term that should not have any negative effect on property values as I don't think that this would negatively impact educational achievement in the district. Then intention is to be fiscally responsible, as the areas served are not home to a large housing boom, as most of the available land has been developed, as the area is bound by limitations due to the reservoir water shed, etc. It's not a case of an area that is going to have expansive housing tracts developed to attract young families, where enrollment will spike during the study period.

Since the K-L district spans a large geographic area, the concern would be transportation, depending upon which school is closed. However, many of the people I know who used public schools in K-L were driven to school, or drive their children to school.

If the goal of redeployment of resources is met, this could also help to keep taxes in check, especially in Katonah. And, at current funding levels, more money would be available to enhance educational opportunities at the remaining schools. I don't see the proposal as anything that would be detrimental in the long-term, though there could be growing pains as the district adopts new policies and elementary school boundaries.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 PM

83 posts, read 168,102 times
Excellent summary BMW. I would add that the school that has been chosen if it happens is Lewisboro. The only complaints that I have seen have been from LES parents. Overall I think it will actually strengthen an already strong district because of many of the reasons that BMW mentioned. And from what I can see, Katonah Elementary will remain untouched as the students that get redistricted would go to the other 2 schools that are much closer.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:55 PM

116 posts, read 373,386 times
Thanks all. Definitely happy to hear that moving 5th grade to the junior high is off the table and that kindergarten is going full day. I wonder if more families will be attracted to the district once kindergarten goes full day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County