Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:46 AM

11 posts, read 34,825 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband, 2 boys (2.5 and almost 5) live in Dublin, Ireland. We both work in finance and have good jobs. We have lived in Dublin for almost 11 years and our eldest son started school this year. My husband who is American has been offered a very good role in NY whereby it would be feasible for me to consider staying at home with the boys. We have looked at the Westchester area and focused in on Katonah as it seems from what we have read that it is one of the more down to earth towns within reasonable commute to the city. My husband would love to do this but it is a HUGE decision for me as I would be giving up work and having to find a whole new social network. My biggest fear would be that I would be lonely and not have enough adult company. Can anybody who has knowledge of Katonah, let me know if it is a nice place to live where there are activities going on (particularly during the week days) which woul help me to meet people. It would be great to hear from some stay at home mums in that area also.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 05:37 AM

21,638 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Katonah is a very nice, small hamlet of Bedford in Westchester near the CT border. It only has approximately 10,000 residents. Have you looked into a town like Greenwich? You might have better luck networking with stay at home moms there, plus taxes are less, and the train into NYC is about 15 minutes quicker than in Katonah/Bedford.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:05 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,040,626 times
Context: My family made a very similar international transition with kids almost exactly the same ages as yours. My wife also made the transition to full-time stay at home mom (aka SAHM). Our househunting covered Katonah, Bedford, Pound Ridge (all very similar socioeconomically and culturally) as well as Briarcliff and a few other towns. We ended up in Pound Ridge, but that's immaterial as far as your question goes.

To answer your question: All international moves are challenging, but it will be what you make it. First of all, these communities are active, well educated and sophisticated. Secondly, your eldest is headed to school, which will immediately open a gateway into the community and contact with other parents. You'll find all kinds of people and have the freedom to decide who you're compatible with. With the younger school kids especially, many families are in the same boat - the family is just entering the school system and still looking to connect with others. Social networks more fluid than, say, middle school age, by which time everybody already knows everybody else.

Katonah is a great town, but quite small. If you're used to city life the biggest adjustment may be from the city bustle to what may feel like a small country village. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,441,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Katonah is a very nice, small hamlet of Bedford in Westchester near the CT border. It only has approximately 10,000 residents. Have you looked into a town like Greenwich? You might have better luck networking with stay at home moms there, plus taxes are less, and the train into NYC is about 15 minutes quicker than in Katonah/Bedford.
Just keep in mind if you look in Greenwich you will likely need close to 1 million dollars for a home.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback, I will look at Greenwich as well although sounds like it may be above our price range. I like the fact that Katonah seems like a walking town - if you can get the right property, you can walk to coffee shop, school etc. I also read that it is quite down to earth and less pretentious than other areas. I wouldn't want to be somewhere where we felt any pressure to 'keep up with the Jones's' or where the schools were too pressurised and competitive, I would like my kids to get a good education (as my husband and I did) but I also want them to have happy memories of their childhoods where it wasn't all about pressures to succeed. I think from what I have read to date, Katonah is a nice place to live, its mainly the social networking that scares me.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:31 AM

Thanks a million for coming back to me. I'm glad it has worked out for your family. No doubt, if we move, it will be hard at the beginning and will take some effort on my part to integrate. I'm hoping that the small town feel works in my favor for making friends rather than leaving me missing the city life, to be honest, since we have had kids, our weekends are more about doing activities with them rather than having a big nightlife and it sounds like there are good shopping and other facilities within 15-20 minute radius of Katonah.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Just keep in mind if you look in Greenwich you will likely need close to 1 million dollars for a home.
Bedford is not far behind: Average home price is over $900k. The current average list price is about $1.9 million, according to realtor.com.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 AM

506 posts, read 1,314,072 times
Katonah is a great place to live.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,177,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Bedford is not far behind: Average home price is over $900k. The current average list price is about $1.9 million, according to realtor.com.
?? Where do you get this stuff from? There are plenty of nice homes in the 500-600k range... . Again...this is not 2007...

Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
?? Where do you get this stuff from? There are plenty of nice homes in the 500-600k range... . Again...this is not 2007...
As stated, it's according to Realtor.com. I understand there are homes in the 500-600 range - but the numbers I gave were the average for June of 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County