Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 AM

12 posts, read 80,172 times

Advertisements

We are looking at homes in Somers and Katonah. With the low inventory in Katonah and lower taxes in Somers, Somers seems like a good fit. Has anyone made the decision of one over the other- and why? What are your impressions of each town- is one "better" than the other? The schools seems comparable, but Katonah has the train and town pool. Any other differences we should know about before choosing one over the other? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 12:02 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,634 times
Somers and Katonah are quite different in some respects, but other than the school and the pool (Katonah has a nice one; Somers doesn't have one) your day-to-day life won't be very different in either since they are next to each other and have a lot of overlap (there is a large area with a Katonah address and Somers schools). If you live in Somers you will still go to Katonah village for stores and to the Katonah Museum. If you live in Katonah you will still go to Somers for Muscoot Farm, Lasdon Park, and probably the playground at Reiss Park (one of the nicest in the area). If you live in Katonah or Somers you will still go to Mt Kisco for restaurants, movies, etc. No one town has everything and everyone in northern Westchester goes to a number of towns on a regular basis.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:04 PM

Thank you for the insight. Can you expand on how they are quite different? Are the people the same? Down to earth for the most part?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:28 PM

309 posts, read 765,843 times
we live in somers and i would absolutely say that somers is much more down-to-earth than katonah, which is part of the town of bedford. katonah residents tend to be more arts- and environment-oriented. Houses in the village, with its Victorian appeal, command a premium.

as far as train service, most somers residents use the goldens bridge train station in neighboring lewisboro rather than the katonah station b/c while sets aside some dedicated permits for somers residents, the cost of those permits is also higher (or it was a few years ago when dh was applying for a permit).

post any other specific questions.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks somersmom! I have a 4th grader and 1st grader- any commments on the schools? Will the kids be welcome additions to school as "new kids"? How is the parking at Golden's Bridge- is there availability in the morning? My DH would be taking a 6am-ish train.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
I don't know that I'd call Somers that much more laid-back than Katonah. Somers does have a bit more economic diversity than Katonah, and is spread out over a much larger area.

There are many more planned subdivisions in Somers such that the area doesn't have the same anchor of a primary downtown area. Katonah, though part of the Town of Bedford, and technically a hamlet, has its own identity that is well-established. Unlike other hamlets in Westchester, Katonah functions more along the lines of a village in terms of community, without a separate legislative authority over the town.

Katonah has more of an arts community, but it's home to the Katonah Museum of Art, Caramoor, and has a great library with many events as well. Another feature of Katonah that sets it apart from some other nearby villages and towns is that it has resisted all chains within the boundaries of Katonah. The closest thing that comes to a chain store is the ancient A&P or Mrs. Green's Market, but it's a local grocer.

KMP which has the pool, tennis courts, and also has a summer day camp that can be a great resource as well. Katonah offers the train, which is a plus if you're within a few minutes' walk/drive because you can be home faster than some parts of Somers can be from Goldens Bridge. It is feasible to be within walking distance of the downtown as well, which underscores more of a small town feel to the community.

Somers is not a bad area at all, and I know people who have lived there for years, and the schools are good. Katonah has a premium attached to it for the train, Town of Bedford amenities, and the community feel of the area, even when you get into properties on larger amounts of land that are also on the BRLA trails.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magggmom View Post
Thank you for the insight. Can you expand on how they are quite different? Are the people the same? Down to earth for the most part?
Both towns are big, and Somers especially has a number of distinct areas, so I wouldn't want to make generalizations. That said, I think of Katonah as being a bit more cultured and slightly more down-to earth and liberal. The library hosts a long-standing poetry group with semi-regular readings run by a former National Poet Laureate. The overall gestalt is more relaxed old money, which is not a vibe I get from Somers. Somers is also one of two towns in Westchester in which a majority of people voted Republican in the last election.

If you want to live in a walkable town center, Katonah village is definitely better than anything in Somers--but if you want to be outside of town I really don't think your overall experience will be that different in either town--or other nearby ones, for that matter.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:45 PM

94 posts, read 330,568 times
dma1250 - what is the other westchester town that voted republican last election? buchanan? whatever it is, please let me know so I can avoid it - thank you!

Old 07-25-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb212 View Post
dma1250 - what is the other westchester town that voted republican last election? buchanan? whatever it is, please let me know so I can avoid it - thank you!
I believe it was Eastchester, but I could be wrong. It was definitely southern Westchester.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:31 PM

309 posts, read 765,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magggmom View Post
Thanks somersmom! I have a 4th grader and 1st grader- any commments on the schools? Will the kids be welcome additions to school as "new kids"? How is the parking at Golden's Bridge- is there availability in the morning? My DH would be taking a 6am-ish train.
i'll try answer your questions and leave the politics out of it. however, your inquiries about the schools are more emotional so i don't know if i can give you any concrete info other than to tell you that we have lived in somers for the past 6 years and have always felt absolutely welcome in the community. my child isn't in the schools yet, but all my neighbors and friends who have kids in the schools are happy with the district, the schools, the teachers, etc. Of course, there are always going to be little quibbles here and there, but nothing major.

Train station parking is by permit (Goldens Bridge and Katonah) and i'm not sure if there is a waiting list at either site. here's the link to the Goldens Bridge station info:
MTA Home Page

and here's Katonah
MTA Home Page

as you can see, they refer you to the Town of Bedford for parking info:
The Town of Bedford New York / Departments / Parking Bureau

if your DH gets a permit at Goldens Bridge, it will likely be in the lot opposite 684 by the A&P so he'd have to factor that into his timing. when my DH commuted from there, he got a 6ish train & never had a problem getting a space.

hope that helps & feel free to post any more questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County