Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,374,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
You guys are great!! I know it would be best to come in October but I don't know if I can wait that long - I NEED A VACATION!! I was thinking mid-September? Is that still good? I'm coming from WI and driving right to Huntington. Want to see things there and then to Charleston and then up to Elkins (because that seems to be the area I must see - right?). I have seen pics of Harper's Ferry and boy I would love to see that town but there will not be time. I'm doing all this planning beforehand as time is limited (l week) and I don't want any down time. When I'm on a vacation I go 24/7. I will take a look at that New River Gorge Photo Gallery , Buzz. DK - what hotel do you sugggest!! Kookamus - how good of shape is 'good' - ha! I do like to hike!!
Just curious: If you are coming from Wisconsin, why are you driving to Huntington? Like vec101 said, there ain't nuthin much to see down in that area. The New River is in southern WV, and there is an exhibition coal mine at Beckley that's a good tour for an hour or so, but other than that, the best areas to see on a quick vacation are in the east and north east. Blennerhassett Island in the Ohio River at Parkersburg is an exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 03:11 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,321,319 times
Embassy Suites...has free breakfast with the room...Marriot is #2 in our book...nice pool.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:55 AM

4,968 posts, read 8,969,212 times
Based on her initial post, I think she wanted to see all of what WV had to offer since she had never been here before. WV is more than forests and natural wonders. Its cities have things to offer as well. Huntington has several top notch city parks, a great museum of art, a nice riverfront, several stores that showcase the talent of West Virginians and some great architecture just to name a few. Charleston has the state capitol building, nice architecture as well, some great views of the river and will be hosting the World's Strongest Man contest later this year. It would take a week in each city to to get an idea of what they offer and you would still miss a lot of things. The cities are worth visiting because they are part of this state and because they offer a unique experience themselves for someone who has never been here. Plus there is an opportunity to take a train out of Huntington in order to see many of the natural wonders of the state such as the New River Gorge. You guys are starting to sound like the tourism people for the state. All they promote are the parks and least populated areas and then people wonder why visitors think that there is nothing here. There is another side to WV as well and I think it's important that visitors see that side too. Plus, the cities are the best way to get a better idea of the state's greatest resource, its people.
Tim

Old 08-01-2008, 06:06 AM

246 posts, read 880,920 times
If you want fall foliage wait untill mid oct. Forget charleston unless paaing through. I have a place in fayette county and go in to the new river gorge all the time. there are trails everywhere but when you hike down you have to hike back up. kaymoor is a nice hike but coming back up will take the wind out of your sails.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:19 AM

620 posts, read 1,839,767 times
HI: I think Tim said it right for me. I can only get an "overview" of the state because of my limited time. I love to see new cities/towns because then when I hear about them on the news, read about them, etc. I can have a visual of them. I want to spend a day in Huntington to site-see and then make my way up to Elkins. There is just so much to see that is why I'm all confused; I'm trying to condense it and I know that's impossible. Thanks for all responses and if you think of any other way to do it I'd appreciate it. Remember - I can always come back next fall!!

Last edited by suecen; 08-02-2008 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 08-02-2008, 08:16 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,378,694 times
Sightseeing in Charleston:
The Clay Center and it's Visual Arts, Science Gallery, ElectricSky Theater The Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences of West Virginia and Exhibits, Programs and events (http://www.theclaycenter.org/events/default.aspx - broken link)

The Cultural Center has the WV State museum, arts, etc.
The Cultural Center

Midway between Huntington and Chas is the Milton Flea Market Milton Flea Market and Halfway Amish Market

Check out info/things to do on Charleston at Charleston CVB

Take a glance at Charleston's history at History of Charleston (http://www.charlestonwv.com/about/history.asp - broken link)

FYI - The World's Strongest Man Contest will be hosted in Charleston this year. Chas native Phil Fister won it in 2006. If you ever roam around ESPN you will see it, probably will have it on several times.
WOWK-TV – News for Charleston and Huntington, West Virginia (http://wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=41680 - broken link)The World's Strongest Man

Old 08-02-2008, 08:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,378,694 times
Trip suggestion: After Huntington, Charleston, Elkins, go back to I-79 heading to Charleston. At the exit a little past Flatwoods (outlet there), take Rt. 19 toward Beckley. then do one of two things (both drives provide a nice drive back to Charleston, both also end up on I-64):

1. Near Hico, get onto Rt. 60 and follow the Midland Trail Scenic Highway. This drive back to Charleston is very pretty and interesting. Stop at Hawk's Nest State park and be sure to see the Mystery Hole near it (cheesy place but one of my fav - only takes about 10-15 minutes. Trust me, you will be telling your friends about the Mystery Hole for years to come).
Look at this pix taken at the Mystery Hole http://www.mysteryhole.com/guidedtourinfo.html
http://www.midlandtrail.com/
Hawks Nest State Park, West Virginia State Park

Or 2. Go to Beckley, check out the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine -- you can actually go underground in a mancar. Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine & Youth Museum

Personally, I'd do #1.

Better trip: Maybe go to Huntington, Charleston, Elkins (you should really hit Canaan), then on way back go through Seneca Rocks, then hit Green Bank, make your way to Beckley, then back to Charleston and to home.

See http://www.wvtourism.com/maps/roadsLARGEstatemap.JPG
and Travel Planner

Old 08-02-2008, 09:08 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,240,460 times
#1a) Before heading west on US-60, continue south on 19 for about 5-10 miles to the High Bridge over the New River Gorge, just north of Fayetteville. Then backtrack north on 19, and pick up 60.

If you go through Summersville on 19, be sure to strictly adhere to the posted speed limits.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:15 AM

19,811 posts, read 22,710,079 times
Fall is not complete until you got to the Potomac Highlands. /discussion/

Old 08-02-2008, 09:39 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,240,460 times
I agree, but we haven't convinced suecen yet to extend the vacation time to a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia