Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:24 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,194,628 times

Advertisements

We are going to visit Helvetia in July, going to spend the night at the Bee Keepers Inn.

Thanks for your link and pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:27 PM

620 posts, read 1,849,611 times
Hellp again! I'm still in the process of planning my trip to your state this September. Could anybody recommend a motel in Charleston (mid-price)? I know I can look in the AAA book but I value all of your opinions - after all you are the WV experts. Thanks much!!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:29 PM

246 posts, read 884,706 times
Are you in good shape to do some serious hiking?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:06 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,378,901 times
Suecen: Stay at one of the nice downtown hotels and catch a show at the Civic Center...loosen up the purse strings...have a garage sale to cover the costs if you have too....and take a stroll along the river in the moonlight...its about 3 blocks away...

Old 07-31-2008, 04:18 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,606,142 times
It sounds like you are going to be in the southwest part of the state in the Charleston/Huntington area? Do you plan on seeing the whole state? I didn't see anyone mention Harper's Ferry, or Green Bank, and maybe they mentioned Blennerhassett Island but I don't recall seeing it.

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

A very interesting tour and museum here: NRAO Green Bank Home Page

Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park - A West Virginia State Park

There is no more beautiful state in the fall than West Virginia, but you have to time it rght. You might chack with the division of forestry and ask if they have a prediction yet about when the best times for color will be; and don't forget at different altitudes it won't be the same.

Also, you should be careful about calling West Virginia a southern state, as it offends, or at least irks, some people there. West Virginians consider themselves to be too far north to be southerners, and too far south to be Yankees. West Virginians like everybody.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:22 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,606,142 times
This is a "must see" in West Virginia.

New River Gorge Photo Gallery

Old 07-31-2008, 06:44 PM

620 posts, read 1,849,611 times
You guys are great!! I know it would be best to come in October but I don't know if I can wait that long - I NEED A VACATION!! I was thinking mid-September? Is that still good? I'm coming from WI and driving right to Huntington. Want to see things there and then to Charleston and then up to Elkins (because that seems to be the area I must see - right?). I have seen pics of Harper's Ferry and boy I would love to see that town but there will not be time. I'm doing all this planning beforehand as time is limited (l week) and I don't want any down time. When I'm on a vacation I go 24/7. I will take a look at that New River Gorge Photo Gallery , Buzz. DK - what hotel do you sugggest!! Kookamus - how good of shape is 'good' - ha! I do like to hike!!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,272,525 times
Mid September is probably a little early for the Huntington-Charleston area, but (depending on conditions, of course) should be about the beginning of the fall season in the Elkins area. Elkins has its Forest Festival the first week of October, which is their guess as to the peak color.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:20 PM

3,105 posts, read 7,414,394 times
Maybe it's because I live in the area but to me, you aren't going to see the best of WV around Huntington or Charleston. Stay overnight if you must but head to the mountains of Canaan Valley then swing down to the New River Gorge area. I wouldn't spend my time touring around Chas & Huntington - they are mostly business, etc areas.

If you are going to Elkins, also go on up the mountains another 45 minutes and spend time in Canaan Valley.

Visit Canaan Valley - Blackwater Falls - Tucker County, West Virginia doesn't have the calendar for Sept listed yet but the Leaf Peepers Festival is near the end of September. Last year it was September 28th - 30th, 2007. Alpine Leaf Peepers Festival I'd swear sometimes it is earlier in September.

The Forest Festival in Elkins is Sept 27-Oct 5. Mountain State Forest Festival - Elkins, West Virginia

Guess it's too early for any fall leaf changing forecasts but keep on eye on Fall Color in West Virginia and Division of Forestry and The Official West Virginia State Parks and Forests web site.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:55 PM

3,105 posts, read 7,414,394 times
Hotels around Charleston -
Figure you will be taking I-64 then I-79. Keeping close to the interstate:
In Teays Valley (about 20 miles before Charleston), see Teays Valley, WV Hotels, Motels : Lodging near/in Teays Valley, West Virginia I'd probably go for the Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn. I think the Red Roof Inn is pretty new.

For Charleston see Charleston, WV Hotels, Motels : Lodging near/in Charleston, West Virginia
Some of the hotels are getting a little older, so not sure how they are (and of course, I never stay in them since I live here). Did have family stay at the Holiday Inn CHARLESTON (CHARLESTON HOUSE) and it was nice.

The Hampton Inn Charleston, W.V.-Southridge is relatively new and probably nice. Also true for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites CHARLESTON-SOUTHRIDGE - but I'm having a mind blank and can't think of where that is exactly. Is it by TGI Friday's? Southridge is not right off of I-64. It's on Corridor G (Rt. 119 South). There are a lot of restaurants and shopping in that area.

There is a Sleep Inn at Exit 1 on I-79 (first exit past Charleston).
There is a Country Inn & Suites at Elkview along I-79 about 10 miles past Charleston (if you came from I-64 and are now on I-79 heading North). It's relatively new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia