Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 08:37 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Elkins is a great little small town/city. With a nice rail trail. Surprisingly, real estate isn't as cheap there as you'd think. But very nice. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the feedback.

How are the local area town/county schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 08:58 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
For the young people part - schools can also be tricky. Can't draw in younger families in drove (especially since we're talking about EPH here...those cheap housing while only adding 30 minutes or so to commute for a hybrid worker out of NoVA or Maryland can be quite enticing) when schools are kind of meh. Sure, EPH is still growing quite a bit (aka the only part of the state that's really growing) and yes, it's actually a very pleasant area (I'm MDer, been to EPH a few times).

The state otherwise do have a huge aging problem. All the younger people leave for greener pastures due to better oppotunities elsewhere.
It’s well-known in the EP that many families that move here are either homeschooling their kids, or find loopholes to take their kids to MD and VA schools even though they live here (they use a relatives’ address, old address, etc).

Our biggest issue is keeping the classrooms staffed, since many teachers can double their salary just 30 minutes down the road in three directions, while simultaneously keeping up with the growth. Berkeley County is looking into building a fifth high school, more middle schools and replacement facilities for aging elementary schools. Charter schools, while controversial, I think will benefit the EP by giving parents another choice and helping to accommodate the growth.

Last edited by mmccul; 02-06-2024 at 09:19 AM..

Old 02-06-2024, 01:29 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
It’s well-known in the EP that many families that move here are either homeschooling their kids, or find loopholes to take their kids to MD and VA schools even though they live here (they use a relatives’ address, old address, etc).

Our biggest issue is keeping the classrooms staffed, since many teachers can double their salary just 30 minutes down the road in three directions, while simultaneously keeping up with the growth. Berkeley County is looking into building a fifth high school, more middle schools and replacement facilities for aging elementary schools. Charter schools, while controversial, I think will benefit the EP by giving parents another choice and helping to accommodate the growth.
Yup, that's what my BIL does. His wife works as a teacher in VA, and their kid goes with her to school everyday. Come Middle school there will be choices to make, but for now it works out for them.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:48 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Thanks I genuinely appreciate the perspective and your thoughts.

What is your opinion on Elkins WV? Honestly what's the good, bad, ugly and awesome?
I lived in the EP for years, and then moved to the Clarksburg/Bridgeport area. We did frequent Elkins often and it certainly had its own vibe but that was 15 years ago and there was pretty cheap places to live, not sure about now.

It was a consideration for us IF I didn't work in Clarksburg, just too far of a drive. What I liked most about Elkins is the proximity to the places we loved to go- Forks of Gandy, Spruce Knob, Seneca rocks, Seneca creek.. Just a great jumping point for outdoor activity.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:05 PM

19,503 posts, read 9,528,287 times
There is or was a sign posted indicating funds utilized for fixing the roads nearby. It listed how much was contributed by federal and below that was:

WV 0

I don't recall if I've seen that same sign as of lately but it wouldn't surprise me if it was removed.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I lived in the EP for years, and then moved to the Clarksburg/Bridgeport area. We did frequent Elkins often and it certainly had its own vibe but that was 15 years ago and there was pretty cheap places to live, not sure about now.

It was a consideration for us IF I didn't work in Clarksburg, just too far of a drive. What I liked most about Elkins is the proximity to the places we loved to go- Forks of Gandy, Spruce Knob, Seneca rocks, Seneca creek.. Just a great jumping point for outdoor activity.

How did you like Clarksburg and Bridgeport? What was it like living there?

Old 02-06-2024, 10:15 PM

Quote:
How did you like Clarksburg and Bridgeport? What was it like living there?
Thru the lens of 15 years ago. It may have changed since.

Clarksburg was not a booming place. A lot of closed industries, buildings that were in disrepair. There was some minor investment in mostly government agency locations and some municipal projects. I'm not saying it was bad, but it certainly was a city in decline. BUT- there were some fantastic restaurants, some of the best I've ever eaten at. There were youth baseball teams, sports and everyone was pretty nice. It's not an unfriendly place, just a place where industry shuttered. In fact most people that I made friends with were from Clarksburg. Also you could get some nice places pretty cheap. I almost bought a really solid all brick 1960's rancher on something like 20 acres for $140K. I worked in Clarksburg.

The problem? The market is not in a great location for resale.

Bridgeport is right across the interstate. I bought a house in Bridgeport. They say the schools are better but I didn't see it. My son hated the school and my daughter loved it. They receive fairly good school reviews but some of the teachers my son had were not really all that good. Maybe it's changed. HUGE focus on sports. Real estate is more expensive than Clarksburg and not as abundant on the market. If you don't plan on staying forever Bridgeport is a good choice. There is an FBI Center in Bridgeport so government transfers tend to look at Bridgeport more than more rural areas or Clarksburg proper.

I'm going to keep mums on the neighbors I met and some of the people I knew in Bridgeport, other than to say the nicest person I met was my immediate late 70's neighbor named Okey. He grew up on a farm, was down to Earth- nicest guy I met. His wife too.

The last winter I spent in Bridgeport it snowed almost every other day and little to no sunshine. Cold, damp snow to your bones weather. The spring is delightful and usually lasted into July, summers not bad and fall is spectacular. 4 seasons for sure. Flooding is always a concern, the towns are on hills and valleys.

Bridgeport was not a place I wanted to remain. My wife was ambivalent, my son hated it but my daughter loved it (she was really little and had great friends). Compared to where I am now in Montana? I would never consider moving to that area again. If my job wanted to transfer me back to Clarksburg I would quit.

That's just my opinion as honest as I can tell it.

Here's a site that you can look at side-by-side comparisons of cities.

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2024 at 07:14 AM..

Old 02-07-2024, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Thru the lens of 15 years ago. It may have changed since.

Clarksburg was not a booming place. A lot of closed industries, buildings that were in disrepair. There was some minor investment in mostly government agency locations and some municipal projects. I'm not saying it was bad, but it certainly was a city in decline. BUT- there were some fantastic restaurants, some of the best I've ever eaten at. There were youth baseball teams, sports and everyone was pretty nice. It's not an unfriendly place, just a place where industry shuttered. In fact most people that I made friends with were from Clarksburg. Also you could get some nice places pretty cheap. I almost bought a really solid all brick 1960's rancher on something like 20 acres for $140K. I worked in Clarksburg.

The problem? The market is not in a great location for resale.

Bridgeport is right across the interstate. I bought a house in Bridgeport. They say the schools are better but I didn't see it. My son hated the school and my daughter loved it. They receive fairly good school reviews but some of the teachers my son had were not really all that good. Maybe it's changed. HUGE focus on sports. Real estate is more expensive than Clarksburg and not as abundant on the market. If you don't plan on staying forever Bridgeport is a good choice. There is an FBI Center in Bridgeport so government transfers tend to look at Bridgeport more than more rural areas or Clarksburg proper.

I'm going to keep mums on the neighbors I met and some of the people I knew in Bridgeport, other than to say the nicest person I met was my immediate late 70's neighbor named Okey. He grew up on a farm, was down to Earth- nicest guy I met. His wife too.

The last winter I spent in Bridgeport it snowed almost every other day and little to no sunshine. Cold, damp snow to your bones weather. The spring is delightful and usually lasted into July, summers not bad and fall is spectacular. 4 seasons for sure. Flooding is always a concern, the towns are on hills and valleys.

Bridgeport was not a place I wanted to remain. My wife was ambivalent, my son hated it but my daughter loved it (she was really little and had great friends). Compared to where I am now in Montana? I would never consider moving to that area again. If my job wanted to transfer me back to Clarksburg I would quit.

That's just my opinion as honest as I can tell it.

Thanks that's very thorough and loved your opinions. I'm really surprised there was such a difference from one.town to the next so close to each other.

We're the people in Clarksburg friendlier as well?

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2024 at 07:15 AM..

Old 02-07-2024, 06:36 AM

Is anyone familiar with any WV homestead tax exemptions or benefits? If so, can you share what they might include or how to qualify?

I'm looking into a 2+ acre property and trying to see if there are any homestead benefits that might be available to explore

Old 02-07-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks that's very thorough and loved your opinions. I'm really surprised there was such a difference from one.town to the next so close to each other.

We're the people in Clarksburg friendlier as well?
In my opinion- yes. Very genuine.

Did you look at that side by side comparison? It's pretty dramatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia