Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:20 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
Yesterday I made a work-trip into the big city... I had to go all the way to Clarksburg to pick up some artwork for the refuge. There were many wonders there... like pizza hut.

Sadly, I will be heading home in November. My term is up. And I got rejected for a job with WV DNR. Jerks. Not qualified, my ass.

I'm sad to be leaving. I feel like I've barely touched the tip of the iceberg on all of the cool things there are to do around here. But I'm happy to go home too. I miss my family, and my critters.
Sorry to hear you will be leaving. Please be sure to come back on vacations, etc. Geez, you didn't even get to experience Canaan winters. Ummm, you may be glad you missed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:48 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,817 times
If the intern has never been camping before....

Sounds like a good time to send her snipe hunting.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
I gave you points for that one....

Our kids go to Alaska and work the summer interns..the Michiganders come here and can't get hired...

do you think rich-rod had anything to do with this?

Little Newt...you stole our hearts...keep trying...how about the FEDS...they have a little work here and there?

Old 08-15-2008, 12:27 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,817 times
Lots of other departments besides DNR... Definitely look into the Feds, plus counties, etc.

Private sector too: Whoever is going to build Corridor H will need some field surveys done, the power companies are planning that Trans-Allegheny transmission line.

Bottom line, we don't want to lose you, newt.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:08 PM

AAH! Yes! the TRail...and now the PAth....and the computer house to direct all of that 500 million volts will be in Fairmont at the Moneyhand encampment...the games a-foot!
At least Wvian's will not be paying for much of it until 2011...our power bills went up $50 per month but should go down a little soon...

$1200 per year for 35 years...my share for the lines will be $42,000...hope someone from Virginia sends me a thank-you card.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 7,742 times
Thumbs up Finally in the Valley

Hi Everyone. Made it to Canaan Valley. Still looking for a place. Luckily I am staying at Canaan Valley Resort for a week. Gives me a little time. I love this place!!!!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:03 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
Newtgirl did indeed survive.

I could have sworn I responded to this a couple weeks ago... Oh well.

I'm alive n kickin'! I love it here!

Edit: there are no apartments available above Canaan Trading Co. I've got one, and Dean doesn't appear to be moving any time soon. Harman isn't bad, tho. There's a laundromat there (though I haven't been yet). From Harman to CVRSP is about 10 minutes, so it's not bad. The valley is fairly expensive, due to its resort nature.

Nicole, contact me through email (newtgirl@gmail.com) if you'd like to discuss being a newbie in the valley!
Sounds like Newt girls place may be coming up for rent. Very convenient location - right beside Canaan Valley stores.

OOps quoted wrong post - in later post she said "Sadly, I will be heading home in November. My term is up"

Last edited by vec101; 08-28-2008 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Corrected info

Old 08-29-2008, 12:00 PM

413 posts, read 937,862 times
Aww, you guys are sweet!

I'm still looking around. Sadly, there aren't many jobs in my field that aren't government (like, none in the private sector). And I currently work for the fed, and they don't really have any jobs here. Although they're talking about doing some restructuring at the refuge, which will create about 3 positions, including a biologist one (YAY!!). I've been looking, and will continue to do so, even after I've left. This place is awesome. I can see me staying in this area and being happy.

Nicole, I sent you an email about a place. But if you get a chance, stop into Canaan Trading Company (it's across from Big John's). The two ladies in there (Mary and Ginny, but especially Ginny) know just about everyone in the valley, and can definitely point you in the right direction. Tell 'em Kaysie sent ya.

My place is really small. But the other apartment is nice. I don't know if it's already rented for the winter or not, but Dean's leaving in the next week or two.

As far as Canaan winters, it was like 45 the other morning. That's close enough . We get lots of snow back home (lots!). And what else is there to do here in the winter other than ski? I don't know how to ski! lol.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:42 PM

413 posts, read 937,862 times
I almost forgot to mention, West Virginia will always have a place in my heart and my history: Richard asked me to marry him on Saturday. It was sweet. Sunset at Bear Rocks in Dolly Sods. aw.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 PM

Hate to rain on your parade, Newtgirl...because you did steal our hearts...but rumor has it that the MoJo is going to give all state employees Next Tuesday off with pay if Utah whips Michigan....many of us are crossing our fingers in anticipation...have a safe trip home and get out of that flat land...It ain't the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, but our hills don't give people nose bleeds either...hoping to see your blog in the future as I'm sure you have a Masters in focus...Now that you're family...you're certainly welcome to come and stay a spell...anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia