Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 02:35 PM

413 posts, read 939,131 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job at Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge, and am looking for a place to stay through September. It was recommended that I find a place in Elkins, as it may be more difficult to find a place in Davis.

Can anyone give me any ideas? I've looked on the newspaper website, and all the "apartments.com" type sites, to no avail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 03:15 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,327,050 times
You should go to Davis and Thomas (1 mile away) and ask in the stores and galleries...I'm sure someone has something...both Post Office message boards, for sure.
Elkins is 45 miles away...Aurora, Wv...Oakland, Md or even near Deep Creek would be better...

I have a New York style loft in Thomas that may be available...our potential renter is from out of state and its still up in the air...the loft is brand new (1700 sf) and in a building built in the 1890's...overlooks the river...
There's a real estate girl in the Shop & Save...but I only see her on the weekends...don't remember the agencys name...

Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM

413 posts, read 939,131 times
Most of my coworkers live in Elkins, which facilitates carpooling.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Edit: I should also add that I'm currently in Michigan, and won't have a chance to scope anything out before I get there. So I will either be crashing on my boss's couch or living in my tent until I find a place.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:26 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,327,050 times
The altitude is about 3500 ft...bring your woolies until July 4th...Elkins...all down hill from Caanan...

Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 AM

55 posts, read 236,076 times
I live at Snowshoe, and we generally see a large selection of condominiums and second homes come available for summer rental, since they are occupied during ski season. I would think the same would hold true for the Canaan Valley area. Locate a real estate agent in the area. I think you would really enjoy that area, especially if you can avoid a commute. Might check on www.dcski (broken link) since I know a lot of the realtors in that area advertise on their forum website. Good Luck, and enjoy.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,996,494 times
There are a lot of apartments and houses available for rent in Elkins. Did you check out the Intermountain The InterMountain | The InterMountain , also check out the apartments on Cole Ave. in Elkins. It's off 11th Street a few blocks from McDonalds. There are probably 7-8 apartment buildings that were all built within the last 5 years. You could also call a realtor too, they might be able to assist you

Old 04-15-2008, 01:04 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,243,365 times
Here's another possibility.

You're going to be right next door to WV's Canaan Valley Resort State Park, and about 10 miles away from Blackwater State Park. State parks often have on-site living quarters for seasonal employees.

You might try contacting each of those parks, and see if they might have a "spare" room for this summer, that they won't be using for their own seasonals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia