Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 08:35 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times

Advertisements

Congratulations West Virginia! I'm glad the most beautiful land east of the Mississippi River (and I say that as a Virginian who also loves Shenandoah) will soon be elevated to its rightful place as a National Park.

Quote:
The new federal stimulus relief package includes pandemic-related aid, as well as other end of year business, including a new national park designation for southern West Virginia.

The New River Gorge will be redesignated from a National River to a National Park and Preserve, making it the 63rd national park in the country and 20th preserve. It was announced in a press call Monday with West Virginia’s U.S. Sen. Shelley Capito.
https://www.wvpublic.org/government/...-national-park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 12:45 PM

13 posts, read 16,295 times
And a 21% increase in tourism will, may or could result. How did they come up with such precision?

Old 12-23-2020, 05:57 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Congrats, WV from a neighboring Buckeye.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:33 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,408 times
Haven't been to the New River Gorge yet, but looking forward to visiting. Glad to hear that our government is taking steps to preserve it.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:48 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Haven't been to the New River Gorge yet, but looking forward to visiting. Glad to hear that our government is taking steps to preserve it.
It's worth the visit. When you come for a visit, make sure you plan time to take the tour of the New River Gorge Bridge. The tour goes along the catwalk running underneath the bridge. Great views.

Also, while you're in the state, try to visit the Canaan Valley/Seneca Rocks/Spruce Knob area. Also known as the Potomac Highlands. Many West Virginians, including me, consider it to be the most beautiful area of the state.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:33 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
It's worth the visit. When you come for a visit, make sure you plan time to take the tour of the New River Gorge Bridge. The tour goes along the catwalk running underneath the bridge. Great views.

Also, while you're in the state, try to visit the Canaan Valley/Seneca Rocks/Spruce Knob area. Also known as the Potomac Highlands. Many West Virginians, including me, consider it to be the most beautiful area of the state.
I'm ashamed that I've been to New River Gorge three times (and the Eastern Panhandle countless times) but still haven't been to Canaan Valley, Seneca Rocks, or Spruce Knob. Ironically, those last 3 are 2 hours, 45 minutes from my house in Alexandria, so I should be able to make it a weekend visit.

Will definitely try for this Spring. I hear the State Capitol dome is gold again, so I may make it a longer trip and pay a visit to Charleston for that as well + maybe one or two of the other bucket list items in WV I still haven't gotten to:
  • Cass Scenic Railroad and the Green Bank Observatory
  • Coopers Rock State Forest
  • Dolly Sods Wilderness
  • Greebriar Resort
  • Moundsville (West Virginia Penitentiary, Grave Creek Mound, Palace of Gold
  • Mount Pleasant (Mothman Statue and Museum)
  • Weston (Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum)
  • Wheeling (Historic District)

So much to see!

Old 12-25-2020, 01:22 PM

The Dolly Sods Wilderness is located within Canaan Valley. Also, Cass and Green Bank are only about an hour south of Seneca Rocks and Spruce Knob. If you come over on a 3-day weekend, you could visit all of them. At least in theory.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:50 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times
The news of the NRG becoming a National Park is tremendous. I love the fact that they found away to keep the "preserve" aspect as well so that a good chunk of the land can be used for hunting. I am optimistic about what this will do for the local economies in Fayetteville, Oakhill, Summersville, and Beckley. I believe that the economic impact will also help places like Montgomery, Richwood, and Rainelle also. The best part about the NRG is that it is in the middle of the state. To visit it, people will have to drive through other parts of the state, stopping and patronizing local businesses on they journey. I know Fayette County is going to prosper because of this, I just hope people see the potential and really do things right. I could see Beckley and Charleston marketing themselves as being in close proximity. I just hope that the state can keep up with infrastructure needs.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:04 PM

738 posts, read 416,185 times
I can't see changing it from a national river to national park designation making a big difference in tourism. Generally the river is what attracts people to the area for rafting and kayaking.

It already seemed like a national park to me and there are a lot of great state parks nearby.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry Knob View Post
I can't see changing it from a national river to national park designation making a big difference in tourism. Generally the river is what attracts people to the area for rafting and kayaking.

It already seemed like a national park to me and there are a lot of great state parks nearby.
The Indiana Sand Dunes National Park, it was designated the 61st National Park February 2019, saw a 21% increase in tourism in the first year after the designation. As stated in the link below, many people have a "bucket list" of visiting as many National Parks as possible. Even if they only visit for one day, or only a few hours. Any visit will potentially bring more money to the area, and the state.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...vje-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia