Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:34 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,432,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
They are gorgeous aren't they? They actually are just as thick up here out of towns, but we have a very similar climate to most of WV in the twin tiers, so it stands to reason.

We call them hollows up north, but down south they tend to call them hollers. Kind of like the pronunciation difference between Appalatchuh and Appalaysha.
We drove through the Twin Tiers area of New York when I took my family to see Niagra Falls in about 1990/92. We traveled to the Falls from eastern Maryland and got to see a lot of New York state that summer. I recall that we camped both in the town of Niagra Falls and later at a state park somewhere in rural Somerset County. It was all very beautiful.

My memory of all our camping trips around Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and New York are now fast fading these days but I know I've been in West Virginia several times. The Charleston trip was with a co-worker who had bought an old farm somewhere around Charleston, I think. It was later that I took my family down from our then home in eastern Maryland and we camped at Black Water Falls State Park, WV as we traveled back into Virginia and up into the Shenandoah National Park.

The history back there is quite astounding. Once while standing in front of an old French & Indian War monument (can't recall where it was now) with my co-worker who was from Pennsylvania, I noted to him that the monument to the event was put there before my state of Texas was even born. But I'll not get started or I can be quite boring and much off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 05:06 PM

7,123 posts, read 11,416,440 times
Not sure about lightening bugs (fireflies is a "book word" in my part of Appalachia ) but the 17 year cicada's can be eradicated if the trees are cleared and the ground is leveld in an area in between cycles.

I learned this when I lived in Frederick during the last Brood X emergence. None around the sub-division where I lived, none at all. I thought something was wrong until I drove west into the mountains.......then I was deafened. Of course, around the sub-division, all the trees were ripped out, the ground graded and flattened, etc. etc.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:39 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,576,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Not sure about lightening bugs (fireflies is a "book word" in my part of Appalachia ) .
Really? I grew up calling them lightning bugs too. haha I wonder where fireflies is used commonly.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:16 PM

7,123 posts, read 11,416,440 times
https://twitter.com/chasin_jason/sta...09864416362497

Looks like upstate NY is a transitional zone. The part about young people is true. I have two kids under 11 and both say "firefly" despite my attempts to encourage "lightening bug."

"Snow laying", not "snow sticking" is a battle I am losing as well. I think that one is a done deal. I don't know anyone under 30 that still says the snow is laying, and everyone said it that way in my area when I was growing up.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
https://twitter.com/chasin_jason/sta...09864416362497

Looks like upstate NY is a transitional zone. The part about young people is true. I have two kids under 11 and both say "firefly" despite my attempts to encourage "lightening bug."

"Snow laying", not "snow sticking" is a battle I am losing as well. I think that one is a done deal. I don't know anyone under 30 that still says the snow is laying, and everyone said it that way in my area when I was growing up.
Just like the Pop vs. Soda thing! Upstate NY sits on a crossroads of so many things, and wouldn't you know it, right on the map where the "Lightning bugs" yellow is dominant in west/central NY is where I grew up.

My grandma used to say the snow was laying, but my parents and myself all say sticking.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:18 PM

194 posts, read 185,067 times
Quote:
Just like the Pop vs. Soda thing! Upstate NY sits on a crossroads of so many things, and wouldn't you know it, right on the map where the "Lightning bugs" yellow is dominant in west/central NY is where I grew up.

My grandma used to say the snow was laying, but my parents and myself all say sticking.
As I have the sweet brown cola monkey on my back I was gonna ask if WV says Soda or Pop

And how much is a big gulp at 711 in WV

Old 04-21-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern-Quill View Post
As I have the sweet brown cola monkey on my back I was gonna ask if WV says Soda or Pop

I think WV is mostly Pop country. At least in my experience thus far.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:24 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,432,699 times
Quote:
Really? I grew up calling them lightning bugs too. haha I wonder where fireflies is used commonly.
I grew up in eastern Texas calling them lightning bugs too but at some point during my biological education they became fireflies which is the accepted common name for the very large group. I can't recall any of the genera or species names but, if you're interested, I can tell you their taxonomic family name from the top of my head, or at least what they were in during the age of the dinosaurs when I was in college.

As Paul Simon once sang about in a song, some school trivia just stays with you and "it's a wonder I can think at all".

Old 04-24-2019, 09:04 PM

537 posts, read 961,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern-Quill View Post

$1.05 (tax included) for a 50-oz refill.
Only 84 cents at Sheetz!

Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 AM

194 posts, read 185,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
$1.05 (tax included) for a 50-oz refill.
Only 84 cents at Sheetz!
Oh tell us about Sheetz!

And of course at either mini mart (what do they call a mini mart) the chili cheese dog comes with slaw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia