Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:47 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,528,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Bonefish Grill is pretty high-end compared to places like Red Lobster, so they probably only go into high-income areas.

Bahama Breeze is another neat Darden restaurant that I'll probably never see in the region in my lifetime.
Bonefish Grill and Bahama Breeze, huh? Hmm.. I don't think I had ever been to any in my travels. Altho Bonefish Grill does sound a little more familiar. Checked Google - looks more like we have a better chance to visit the Bonefish in Frederick, Md - maybe this coming weekend. Although the coconut pineapple dessert at Bahama's sounds like a winner to me. Thanks for the info. See, Martinsburg just lost out on at least 50 dollars.

Yes, I had heard this principle of 'this area is not considered "high income" applied when thinking of putting in the fancier version' of say, a Food Lion. Can't think of the exact name right now but I think it had the word "Bloom" in it? Better Google. Yes, Bloom was the upscaled version of Food Lion. I suppose they could have really done us in with a Bottom Dollar, as if there weren't enough of those dollar type stores in our area already. Anyways, that's what I was told some time ago.

Wish I could just tell them to take the chance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:08 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Bonefish Grill and Bahama Breeze, huh? Hmm.. I don't think I had ever been to any in my travels. Altho Bonefish Grill does sound a little more familiar. Checked Google - looks more like we have a better chance to visit the Bonefish in Frederick, Md - maybe this coming weekend. Although the coconut pineapple dessert at Bahama's sounds like a winner to me. Thanks for the info. See, Martinsburg just lost out on at least 50 dollars.

. . .Wish I could just tell them to take the chance
Maybe they'll read this forum, take the siggestion, and build them for us?

If there were a Bahama Breeze in Martinsburg right now I would drive there for dinner tonight.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:17 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,392 times
Not to be a downer, but I found this interesting. According to Bahama Breeze's (Darden) site criteria, they require 30,000 ADT (how many vehicles will pass the restaurant per day). I-81 through Martinsburg has an ADT of around 60,000 (according to a recent traffic study completed for the Weis shopping center project) not including how many would pass on Foxcroft/Mall Drive so I feel we would definitely meet their needs there! However, there are other criteria such as population and a few psychographics that make me slightly uncertain this could happen. But maybe they could stretch a little and negotiate if they know this how this area is and will hopefully continue to grow. Then again, numbers don't lie. Below is the link for Bahama Breeze's site criteria. You can find these for almost any restaurant. I find it really interesting how they formulate these. -mmccul

https://www.darden.com/pdf/about/Bah...chure_2010.pdf

Last edited by mmccul; 06-11-2014 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Wording

Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
This is a good idea for the mall. I have always like malls that have outdoor amenities along with indoor amenities. There is a mall near me in Albany that has accomplished something similar to this, and it has turned out nicely. It still has an indoor mall with some stores, a movie theater, and a hotel. The outside has lots more including some good restaurants. The mall is by no means upscale, but has provided a goo setting for typical mall stores to thrive.

Clifton Park Center
I really like this format and have seen several places like Clifton Park that are highly accessible and refreshing, therefore successful. It would be great if Martinsburg Mall could transform into something like this. I also think it would be a really good idea once all of the rebuilding and possible renovations are complete (assuming there is actually more renovation and growth planned) for the owners to rebrand the mall. They should drop the word "mall" and give it a new and refreshing name, perhaps The Shops at Foxcroft? Or The Center at Foxcroft? Yes, the saying is true "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig", but I feel it would actually benefit the owners and businesses. Again, this is all assuming the rest of the mall will eventually be renovated and businesses will actually start filling it. -mmccul

Old 06-11-2014, 12:51 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I really like this format and have seen several places like Clifton Park that are highly accessible and refreshing, therefore successful. It would be great if Martinsburg Mall could transform into something like this. I also think it would be a really good idea once all of the rebuilding and possible renovations are complete (assuming there is actually more renovation and growth planned) for the owners to rebrand the mall. They should drop the word "mall" and give it a new and refreshing name, perhaps The Shops at Foxcroft? Or The Center at Foxcroft? Yes, the saying is true "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig", but I feel it would actually benefit the owners and businesses. Again, this is all assuming the rest of the mall will eventually be renovated and businesses will actually start filling it. -mmccul
I agree with the rebrand idea! The organization I am with is currently re-branding a lot of what we offer in order to refreshing our appeal.

I also forgot about an example of mall redevelopment back at home in WV. The former Kanawha Mall (Now Shops at Kanawha) turned most of its indoor space into a strip mall and it has worked out tremendously. It took a few years for them to find some tenants, but now the place is filling up fast with talks of building more retail and out-parcel restaurants. The remaining indoor part is mostly office space for the DMV.

To comment on some of the other things mention, I think Panera Bread is a need for Martinsburg. That area could easily support one, with the one in Ranson also covering the general area. I don't know if a restaurant like Bonefish of Bahama Breeze would work because of the lack of population in the immediate area and too many larger dining and shopping districts relatively close. Something that should work out well might be a Cheddar's, Chili's, or maybe a Pie's and Pints!

I was in Martinsburg back in mid May and noticed some new stuff since my last visit (probably spring of last year). I really enjoy that part of the state and the success it has seen. I just hope it doesn't become too suburban and lose the WV charm.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:51 PM

33 posts, read 103,147 times
If I was allowed to choose new restaurants in the area, I would probably pick the following: BBQ joint (best I have found in the area is in Hagerstown or Frederick), a brewpub (Mountain State Brewing Co or Pies N Pints would be cool), Quaker Steak n Lube, or a Cheddars.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDT1211 View Post
If I was allowed to choose new restaurants in the area, I would probably pick the following: BBQ joint (best I have found in the area is in Hagerstown or Frederick), a brewpub (Mountain State Brewing Co or Pies N Pints would be cool), Quaker Steak n Lube, or a Cheddars.
I love Cheddars, and I have always thought one would be great in the Martinsburg area.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
There is a B Wings in the strip mall above the Mall on Foxcroft! Don't thing we need 2 that close LOL

Old 06-11-2014, 06:52 PM

33 posts, read 103,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
There is a B Wings in the strip mall above the Mall on Foxcroft! Don't thing we need 2 that close LOL
You're right. They should burn bdubs down to make room lol.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 AM

92 posts, read 233,213 times
What about a cheesecake factory! or Red Robin... Cheesecake factory would bring a more "upper end" feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia