Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 08:07 PM

12 posts, read 13,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Well that was...optimistic.

Frankly, I couldn’t care less that the brewery is going behind McDonalds. I’ll still go and have a wonderful time.

Nothing against you personally, but having lived elsewhere in WV I chuckle when someone says something in Jefferson County is “crap” or a “dump”. I’m not saying the area is perfect by any means (far from it), but trust me when I say the EP is a shining jewel in the mud.

To put it in perspective, people in the rest of WV speak of the EP like we speak of Loudoun, Fairfax, DC. They would give anything to have just half of what we have.
You're right. I also have family in other parts of the state and I know why those areas failed so badly. I just see WV dragging the EP down with the rest of the state while counties around us flourish. One mile into Clarke County and the litter stops, the amount of signs/debris/poles on the road stops (did state road have to put a sign for every 1/10th a mile and white/yellow poles on the road? I thought they had no money?) It just gets cleaner.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I really do feel like Jefferson is a dump now. It didn't used to be like this. Went down Charles Town today and the amount of homeless people just walking around was insane. The hotels are breeding grounds for drugs. Traffic today was insane and there is no comprehensive plan anymore. They are just building the cheapest houses and businesses they can find.

What do people think is going to happen when counties around us are becoming nicer and nicer and we become trashier and trashier? We're the next Berkeley County .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 07:55 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post
You're right. I also have family in other parts of the state and I know why those areas failed so badly. I just see WV dragging the EP down with the rest of the state while counties around us flourish. One mile into Clarke County and the litter stops, the amount of signs/debris/poles on the road stops (did state road have to put a sign for every 1/10th a mile and white/yellow poles on the road? I thought they had no money?) It just gets cleaner.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I really do feel like Jefferson is a dump now. It didn't used to be like this. Went down Charles Town today and the amount of homeless people just walking around was insane. The hotels are breeding grounds for drugs. Traffic today was insane and there is no comprehensive plan anymore. They are just building the cheapest houses and businesses they can find.

What do people think is going to happen when counties around us are becoming nicer and nicer and we become trashier and trashier? We're the next Berkeley County .
That’s a fair assessment. I also noticed more homelessness when I was in Charles Town a few weeks ago. Rereading this thread with fresh eyes, I understand what you’re saying more now. My apologies.

I think you nailed it with the sentence in bold. I’ve said for a long time that the only thing holding the EP back from reaching its full potential is WV itself. From the lack of funding for infrastructure, lack of planning, and overall reputation (some of it justified, some exaggerated), it’s definitely an uphill battle.

I was really shaking in my boots over the proposed tax plan last legislative session. Most people here shop in MD and VA anyway, the 10% (I think) sales tax would have pushed them there even more so. That would have been extremely tough on local business owners (who have already been through enough this year).

Old 02-16-2022, 09:35 AM

12 posts, read 13,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Well that was...optimistic.

Frankly, I couldn’t care less that the brewery is going behind McDonalds. I’ll still go and have a wonderful time.

Nothing against you personally, but having lived elsewhere in WV I chuckle when someone says something in Jefferson County is “crap” or a “dump”. I’m not saying the area is perfect by any means (far from it), but trust me when I say the EP is a shining jewel in the mud.

To put it in perspective, people in the rest of WV speak of the EP like we speak of Loudoun, Fairfax, DC. They would give anything to have just half of what we have.

Well even the Brewery Andy's Pizza was going to do behind McDonalds is canceled. I guess it wasn't a Dollar General, fast food establishment or have smoke stacks to get any business help. So there goes that.

I agree it's much better here than other parts of the state, I mean, there isn't a single nice city in this state. This state is last in everything and they act like they are proud of it.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:06 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,528,287 times
Quote:
Well even the Brewery Andy's Pizza was going to do behind McDonalds is canceled. I guess it wasn't a Dollar General, fast food establishment or have smoke stacks to get any business help. So there goes that.

I agree it's much better here than other parts of the state, I mean, there isn't a single nice city in this state. This state is last in everything and they act like they are proud of it.
Oh so no brewery now? Dang it!! I remember someone promising a movie theatre somewhere in that direction.

Old 02-18-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Have you been to every city in the state? If not, then these blanket statements aren’t helpful. There are plenty of nice areas of this state. Not everything has to be Tysons, Reston, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc. to be “nice” or “livable”.

Sorry to sound defensive, but I’m just so sick of degrading comments without any solutions to make a difference and acknowledge what we do have. Half of our problems could be fixed if we shook off the “well, it’s WV, so it’s hopeless” mindset.

I’m not oblivious to the issues of WV and the EP (because that’s typically the response I get, at this point). In my 20s, I chose to move back here because I saw the issues and wanted to make a difference. It’s a steep hill to climb, but there are a lot of great people here doing tremendous work. We need help, solutions, and people who want to make a positive impact here. Not more disparaging, degrading comments (even if they are rooted in some truth).

Old 02-19-2022, 05:00 AM

It doesn’t help when you’ve heard something decent like a brewery or a cineplex is coming and then months later of waiting, the plans fall through.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
It doesn’t help when you’ve heard something decent like a brewery or a cineplex is coming and then months later of waiting, the plans fall through.
Totally agree. It does seem to be a trend in that development.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:20 PM

I see where Washington, DC is getting a Wegmans. Wish they would build one out this way.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:27 PM

926 posts, read 827,510 times
Surprised by all the Charles Town hate, I was there not long ago and I was thoroughly impressed by how nice it is, MUCH better than Frederick, MD which is an absolutely dump. Charles Town seemed to have a nice downtown with at least one neat coffee shop, several nice shopping plazas, and a large variety of new housing. Not to mention access to Harpers Ferry is unmatched.

I can understand why someone would dislike Martinsburg, however, Martinsburg is essentially a smaller Frederick, MD that probably has less crime.

Old 07-12-2022, 04:08 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
Surprised by all the Charles Town hate, I was there not long ago and I was thoroughly impressed by how nice it is, MUCH better than Frederick, MD which is an absolutely dump. Charles Town seemed to have a nice downtown with at least one neat coffee shop, several nice shopping plazas, and a large variety of new housing. Not to mention access to Harpers Ferry is unmatched.

I can understand why someone would dislike Martinsburg, however, Martinsburg is essentially a smaller Frederick, MD that probably has less crime.
Charles Town has about 5k people- Frederick has about 20k more people than the largest city in WV (about 70k and growing) and a nice downtown with some cool bars and restaurants. Not sure how you're even comparing the two. Martinsburg isn't even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia