Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:43 AM

881 posts, read 2,093,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I see the reality-denying has gotten stronger in this thread....
With you leading the way:

WV Coal Association: Hard times are here for Appalachian coal - Business, Government Legal News from throughout WV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,970,557 times
Quote:
Does this actually surprise people? It's apparent to anyone who has spent much time in southern WV (and had the good fortune to get out) that the place still has an early-20th century attitude towards black people. The outright racism that poured out of people's mouths back in 2008/early 2009 (I got the hell out shortly thereafter) was truly disgusting. Over and over and over, Barack Obama didn't get people's votes, and the only reason given involved a certain non-PC word beginning with "n."

This is so much utter, steaming BS. If it was really all about coal, Obama would be hugely popular in WV. Mining employment has been booming since he took office, thanks to an EPA that actually gives a crap about the environment. This has been bad news for companies that would like to destroy the state with mountain top removal and few employees, but absolutely fantastic for miners who have now have jobs again.

I wish that when people characterize WV as backwards and racist, I could say that WV just dislikes Obama because he's been terrible for coal minters. That would at least be something substantive that could justify the disdain for him.
I'm kinda confused by your post - have miners gone back to work or not gone back to work? Are you saying that O has been god for miners, but because of racism people still don't like him?

Old 06-30-2012, 01:31 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
You really know how to keep things civil, huh?
Considering the guy's username, I'm not going worry myself with being civil towards people like him.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Back to the original point it seems that the list of Dems not going to attend the convention are growing everyday. Heck, the Dems are even completely cancelling some events.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 AM

503 posts, read 807,610 times
Quote:
Would you care to point out where I said they were equivalent?

Southern WV is plagued with many problems - unemployment, poor education (at one point the state actually intervened in McDowell county's awful schools), addiction, decay (so many abandoned buildings that have been left to rot since the exodus from some of those counties began half a century ago), litter, etc etc etc.
The same statement could be applied verbatim to the Prince George's County, MD schools and communities.

Is Prince George's County racist towards blacks as well?

Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times
Quote:
You might have a point if the African American vote wasn't pretty much always overwhelmingly Democratic. As for Powell, he was used by the Bush administration, then sent packing. He's much more aligned with the modern Democratic party than the GOP.
In NCWV, sure. In southern WV, it's still the 1920s south.
Interesting. So your point is that you have some sort of inside knowledge that says Colin Powell was "used" by Bush? Powell was a long time Bush family friend. He was made a General by Bush, Sr. and placed in charge of major military operations. He later served as Secretary of State for W, a position which he eagerly embraced and actually performed admirably. Aside from his personal preference for racial perferences for blacks in hiring policies, where do you get the idea that ideologically he is alligned with traditional Democrat positions? I'd be interested in seeing your evidence to that effect. And, the normal black/white split in terms of conservative/liberal is around 70% liberal, 30% conservative. Those other 20% just happened to be converted to a liberal position by then candidate Obama? I am amazed that you would try to posit that many blacks didn't vote strictly along racial lines. It is obvious that they did so.

There is no question that southern West Virginia has far more problems than we do in the northern part of the state. In fact, most of the problems we encounter are brought about by idiot Boss Hogg type politicians from the southern part of the state. But, I am quite familiar with southern West Virginia, and I do not believe racial prejudice is any more prevailent there than it is in Westchester County, NY ... a New York City suburb where I spent many years. It might not be as "in your face" there, but it is at least as deep seeded and far more evident in terms of peoples' living arrangements and social interactions. There are entire cities there with zero black residents, and entire communities with virtually no whites.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:28 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Considering the guy's username, I'm not going worry myself with being civil towards people like him.
Why, because he happens to be from the South. Now, that's really being broad and open minded, isn't it? I'm not from the South, but I am always impressed by the warmth and generosity of the people from that area and I have seen them make enormous strides in the area of racial relations there. In many ways I believe they have done a better job of it than we have in the north. Your use of a stereotype is just as inaccurate as somebody who would choose to stereotype a black in the same manner.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:22 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Interesting. So your point is that you have some sort of inside knowledge that says Colin Powell was "used" by Bush? Powell was a long time Bush family friend. He was made a General by Bush, Sr. and placed in charge of major military operations. He later served as Secretary of State for W, a position which he eagerly embraced and actually performed admirably. Aside from his personal preference for racial perferences for blacks in hiring policies, where do you get the idea that ideologically he is alligned with traditional Democrat positions? I'd be interested in seeing your evidence to that effect. And, the normal black/white split in terms of conservative/liberal is around 70% liberal, 30% conservative. Those other 20% just happened to be converted to a liberal position by then candidate Obama? I am amazed that you would try to posit that many blacks didn't vote strictly along racial lines. It is obvious that they did so.

There is no question that southern West Virginia has far more problems than we do in the northern part of the state. In fact, most of the problems we encounter are brought about by idiot Boss Hogg type politicians from the southern part of the state. But, I am quite familiar with southern West Virginia, and I do not believe racial prejudice is any more prevailent there than it is in Westchester County, NY ... a New York City suburb where I spent many years. It might not be as "in your face" there, but it is at least as deep seeded and far more evident in terms of peoples' living arrangements and social interactions. There are entire cities there with zero black residents, and entire communities with virtually no whites.
I don’t think all the problems in southern WV are due to politicians. Lack of education, drug addiction, etc are rampant. West Virginia is the ONLY state where teen births increased. Small towns have lost their tax base, infrastructure is failing. You have people that make an effort and work to change things and they get tired of trying.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:38 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,778 times
What bothers me the most about Southern WV is the infrastructure system. Rt.52 from Bluefield to Welch to Gilbert to Williamson is the slowest ride you'll ever take in your life! Projects like the King Coal Highway and Coalfields Expressway are vital to opening up this area, there should be adequate funding to continue these important projects. All we have is a bridge running straight into the mtn at Bluefield with no funding in site to take it further and a 1.2 mile stretch of roadbed/ interchange to nowhere in North Welch at the Federal Prison. A lot of progress has been made in Mingo County with that part of the King Coal Highway opening up in that area from Horsepen to Delbarton. It will be 40 years before these roads will be built in McDowell and Wyoming County. There is not a consistent unifying force for this area to drive change, too much division with a me first agenda with the County Commissions, Politicians, State and Federal government.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:17 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,879,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
What bothers me the most about Southern WV is the infrastructure system. Rt.52 from Bluefield to Welch to Gilbert to Williamson is the slowest ride you'll ever take in your life! Projects like the King Coal Highway and Coalfields Expressway are vital to opening up this area, there should be adequate funding to continue these important projects. All we have is a bridge running straight into the mtn at Bluefield with no funding in site to take it further and a 1.2 mile stretch of roadbed/ interchange to nowhere in North Welch at the Federal Prison. A lot of progress has been made in Mingo County with that part of the King Coal Highway opening up in that area from Horsepen to Delbarton. It will be 40 years before these roads will be built in McDowell and Wyoming County. There is not a consistent unifying force for this area to drive change, too much division with a me first agenda with the County Commissions, Politicians, State and Federal government.
No, traffic is much worse in Morgantown, and it isnt that bad in Morgantown compared to big cities. Rt. 52 might be bad for Charleston, where traffic flows well since the area is overfunded and was built when people actually lived there, but it isnt that bad. The area is in terminal decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia