Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 02:59 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times

Advertisements

"KY, it ain't just jelly" isn't popular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:46 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,247,252 times
harborlady, maybe Kentucky can adapt Virginia's motto to "KY is for Lovers".

Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 AM

306 posts, read 900,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Our people enjoyed a second home in Hardy County begining in 1925...we kept that property until 1986. The old neighboring people used many ancient words that I never hear anymore...fetch, ketched, hain't, gittin', I always thought those words were Elizabethian and English...Ulster-Scots and that really makes sense...they were the people, who fled the English and settled those mountain areas of early Hampshire County..
Robert E. Lee's people lived on Lost River...been some great ones...mais oui...
I took an Appalachian History class last summer at Concord. I was delighted to find that the language of my family from Boone county isn't just some ignorant hillbilly way of speaking (as the rest of the world would have us believe) but a combination of Old English and the language of the Scots-Irish that immigrated to Appalachia. I don't hear those words (h'it, cain't, fer) from the younger generations though...it appears to be a way of speaking that is dying. I have been taping my grandmother tell famiy stories...I want my grandchildren to be able to hear the speech of their ancestors one day.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:23 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,318,295 times
In a hundred years, you children/ grand-children not yet born will thank you for the gift you are giving them now...

If we know who we were in the past...we can direct a course towards whom we will become in the future...

My Uncle Harry's picture still hangs in the hallway at Concord...one of our favorites colleges.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:32 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
LOL bobilee, that ones taken already, even if spousal/relationship murder rate is oddly higher in va.

mlammons I wish my grandmother from parkersburg would have taken the time to write down her recipes. They went to waste right along with her when alzhiemers kicked in. My memories of how she cooked with love are all that's left.

My other granny is a shutterbug and has a million pictures of people none of us recognize. We've tried to get her to put names and dates on them, but she's rather lazy about it. It's only going to mean family history gets lost, but hard to argue with an 85 yr old about 'owing it to the family'. She'd rather be at bingo with the seniors.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:27 PM

208 posts, read 1,218,292 times
Im from Virginia, West Virginia is the south...The Upland south. My family is from Webster Springs, yall southern.

Honestly the eastern panhandle is a whole lot more southern in culture than Northern Virginia hands down. Everyone is mixing up more terms for what regions states belong in anymore, I have heard people in southern Missouri refer to the state as the south, and people in Saint Louis and above say they're the Midwest. Same thing in Virginia, more and more I am hearing Mid-Atlantic vs. upper south, mainly due to the diversity of Northern Virginia and the Hampton Roads area. These kinds of things happen in every state to some extent.

The United Census Bureau says.
\[/SIZE]

The Upland South/Upper South = Kentucky, Virginia,West Virginia,Tennessee, and North Carolina

WV is the south.

look at the West Virginia counties approving Virginia's secession from the U.S.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:46 PM

200 posts, read 807,172 times
We have had this discussion on the Kentucky forum. I really think West Virginia, and Virginia for that matter are on that weird line where they could be classified as either region. The area around Ashland and Hunnington is very Midwest, That area reminds me more of Southeastern Michigan than anywhere in Ohio! And the area up in the northern part of the state is very much like Pittsburgh and southwestern PA. I think its all relative as to where you are talking about.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:12 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,316,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
personally, i think that the whole "northern vs southern" thing is similiar to the "the "hilly-billy/redneck" thing" ........ long over and more legend than reality. we're americans, like everybody else.
Whoa! Whats the dfference between a hillbilly and a redneck

Old 03-21-2009, 07:30 PM

208 posts, read 1,218,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
We have had this discussion on the Kentucky forum. I really think West Virginia, and Virginia for that matter are on that weird line where they could be classified as either region. The area around Ashland and Hunnington is very Midwest, That area reminds me more of Southeastern Michigan than anywhere in Ohio! And the area up in the northern part of the state is very much like Pittsburgh and southwestern PA. I think its all relative as to where you are talking about.
Allot of eastern, eastern central,and southern WV are all on the same page really (southern IMHO). Yeah up by morgantown and over west a bit it gets strange.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:45 PM

870 posts, read 1,570,613 times
There's something similar on the General US Forum regarding this topic.

Again, I think alot of this has to do with where in WV one grew up. Being from north central WV, I don't feel like it's southern. Appalachian yes, southern no. There's a difference.

But to call north central West Virginia northern makes little sense too. I think it's own region. A mixture of both regions if you will. A nice mixture at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia