Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:35 PM

68 posts, read 124,564 times

Advertisements

Wonder why legislators and public transportation officials in West Virginia and Pennsylvania are not attempting to incorporate the Mon-Fayette Expressway into the Interstate Highway System? The road seems to have been built to interstate standards in West Virginia, and in Pennsylvania, the expressway may actually exceed interstate standards in some places. I think it would make sense to at least have the MFE designated as an auxillary route to Interstate 68 (e.g. Interstate 168).

When the second phase of the Uniontown-Brownsville section opens next year, Fayette County will have a four-lane highway running straight through it. If this highway was to receive an interstate designation, this would give Fayette County an interstate highway, which would improve prospects for economic development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:45 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,062,139 times
Fayette's attractiveness just jumped by having the Expressway opened to I68. Any future developments will only make it more attractive.

Uniontown is a gorgeous town, in my opinion, with Summit Mountain as a backdrop, and now it has virtually direct access to Cheat Lake to compliment its other significant outdoor venues.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,329,915 times
Interstate highways always start in "some place" and end in "some place". This road starts nowhere, goes nowhere and ends nowhere.

They also always connect at at least 1 end to another interstate.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 PM

389 posts, read 797,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Interstate highways always start in "some place" and end in "some place". This road starts nowhere, goes nowhere and ends nowhere.

Umm... okay. This road starts at Interstate 68 (i.e. an interstate) just east of Morgantown, the hub of North Central West Virginia and home of the state's flagship university, fwiw. The road ends at PA Route 51 in the South Hills (suburbs) of Pittsburgh, the largest city in Western Pennsylvania with a metropolitan area made up of 2.3 million people. If it's ever finished, the road will go on from there to Interstate 376 (i.e. an interstate). This road goes places. This isn't Corridor H we're talking about here. At the very least, the Mon-Fayette Expressway could be considered a spur of 68. I'd say if they're going to pursue this, they're going to at least wait until the Uniontown to Brownsville section is complete (with a new bridge over the Mon River) next year.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:54 PM

The expressway also has an interchange with I-70 near California. Once Uniontown-to-Brownsville is finished next year, it'll be a straight shot from I-68 to I-70.

Also, the road also connects to Route 119 in Uniontown, Route 40 in Uniontown and Brownsville, and Route 51 in Jefferson Hills.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post

Nip, you've been in Florida too long since it's obvious you don't know squat about what's going on around here. This road will not only connect two interstates, it will intersect with a third one as well as at least two other major arteries. It is long overdue, unlike some of the King Cong, or whatever they are called, highways in other parts of the state that basically really do start nowhere and go to somewhere else.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:17 PM

I live in Fayette County. The MFE was the only major road project in WV that I kept close tabs on since it makes Fayette County more attractive to economic development. Now, forgive me if I am wrong, but it seems that Corridor H and the Coalfields Expressway are roads that start nowhere, go nowhere, and end nowhere. Again, I don't keep up with those projects much, but last I heard, the Coalfields Expressway dead ends in the middle of nowhere (only local traffic can use the few miles that are open), and Corridor H will have no connection outside of West Virginia (Virginia has signaled that they have no intention to connect Corridor H to Interstates 81 or 64).

As a side note, I heard that there were plans to build an expressway on the northern side of Morgantown. It was supposed to be called the West Run Expressway, I believe. Wonder what's going on with that project?

Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 AM

938 posts, read 2,900,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsmith022968 View Post
As a side note, I heard that there were plans to build an expressway on the northern side of Morgantown. It was supposed to be called the West Run Expressway, I believe. Wonder what's going on with that project?
That's been needed for well over a decade. The politicians in Washington and local nutjobs in WV think building infrastructure is going to open the door to a communist revolution or something, so I don't see it happening any time soon.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsmith022968 View Post
I live in Fayette County. The MFE was the only major road project in WV that I kept close tabs on since it makes Fayette County more attractive to economic development. Now, forgive me if I am wrong, but it seems that Corridor H and the Coalfields Expressway are roads that start nowhere, go nowhere, and end nowhere. Again, I don't keep up with those projects much, but last I heard, the Coalfields Expressway dead ends in the middle of nowhere (only local traffic can use the few miles that are open), and Corridor H will have no connection outside of West Virginia (Virginia has signaled that they have no intention to connect Corridor H to Interstates 81 or 64).

You are essentially correct. The highway through Fayette County (WV) does serve a very important mission though from a national perspective it is not economic development in that county. It provides an important means of avoiding many unnecessary travel miles if you are traveling south on I79... namely, you can bypass Charleston and get straight to Beckley. The others you mentioned basically serve little usefull purpose.

The West Run Expressway was never funded by the state.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:03 AM

What is the premise of building Corridor H if Virginia has no plans to build a connection to I-81 or I-64? If the federal government plans to use Corridor H as an emergency evacuation route, completion of a connecting section in Virginia is imperative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia