Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:34 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times

Advertisements

So much of this is media spin before the election...helping us to see how bad things are..I've did very well in the past 8 years...even 12 years..and am adapting to a more moderate market with our products...things look good here...I'm excited about the possibilities...I can't do much about the de-valuation of the dollar but I can make a few wise modifications in my companies that will hedge out the problems inflation will bring..just trimming out a little fat and re-working the advertising...no layoffs...actually looking for a few 'right' people.

commodities speculators think things are darn good...time to go to bed...had to get over to DC for an important meeting and the boss says..."shut down that computer'....bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 03:11 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times
Glad you've got it covered. Once you know whats coming, you can deal. Not the same as getting hit by a rogue wave on a sunny day.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 AM

4 posts, read 10,240 times
As a typical tourist, I will be driving slower than the local residents. So be it! How is Rt. 33 between Weston and Elkins, Rt. 250 from Elkins to Beverly, and Rt. 20 in general Thanks for the info.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:57 AM

566 posts, read 1,578,443 times
My last trip across Rt. 33 to Elkins was good, as WV roads go, not sure about the current paving situation though.

Rt47 slips have dropped another three inches since our floods last week. I vote they paint the bad spots day glow orange. There's just no way to avoid the curb sized bumps.

I see new asphalt patching on driveway aprons, but nothing in hairpin turns riddled with deep potholes. The berm is smoother than the roadway.

Something that irks me....

When contractors finish paving for the day, leftover asphalt is either placed in a landfill or given to favored (or just lucky) property owners. Why couldn't our highway dept. use this leftover freebie asphalt to patch holes on secondary roads? Get some trucks, lights, and people, get out there when it's cool and fix the roads with free asphalt!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:19 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,439 times
Went across 33 from Weston to Elkins on Friday. The J-R (Jennings Randolph Highway) is in good shape, didn't see any construction to hold things up, you could do 65 (the limit) the whole way.

Rte 20 is two lane country road. Condition varies from county to county. I grew up on Rte 20, I love it, but be patient, there will be places where the safe speed is 35 or less.

Someone may have mentioned this earlier, but will someone tell the DOH that approaching Elkins on 33, only traffic for 219 South need exit... those going north on 219 (towards Parsons) just stay on the thruway and US-33 East will automagically turn into US-219 North.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:15 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
It's time to give the warning again....WVU football this evening and hundreds of cars in the ditches in the Morgantown Region.

I left work today at 3 pm...took 3.5 hrs to travel 10 miles...Interstate I-79 impassable for miles in both directions...secondary roads covered with everything but cinders...Black Ice, White Ice and Shear Ice...

Work Crews? marginal at best...saw two trucks and they were doing the impossible...one of them did have chains on the rear tires and was spreading salt and cinders.

I'll bet cinders are at a premium next week.

Everyone's got lazy...MoJo rides and drives the helecopter wherever he goes...

we haven't had any bad winters in the last few years and with the global cooling, we are set for a Nor'easter with gobs of snow this year...

Don't belive it? Look at that hook in the Jet Stream..when it dips into mid Florida, we will have snow until Easter and it will be a cold one too..

The Earth actually has to turn out of the Jet Stream path for Spring to get here...

About those roads?..don't look for any care...school can be canceled for a few days and besides...
Wv took a whipping in the Stock Market a while back...State does not have any reserve for emergencies right now...

Hope you have an extra can of beans in the footlocker and if crazy old neighbor Mildred decides to raid Kroger and clips off a power pole in her wake of frenzy...hope you have some gasoline for the generator.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:24 PM

404 posts, read 1,187,763 times
Thanks for info on the roads up your way. We are having family from Morgantown down for a Brunch tomorrow. Might have to cancel those plans if the roads are still bad. They are horrible here in Doddridge. Sirens going off here all day. Not a state road truck in sight.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:21 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
There were hundreds of wrecks in the Chas area yesterday.
I think road crews in WV do a great job but there are just some circumstances that can't be helped.

As to your original post on this thread - I HATE driving between MoTown to Clarksburg. Thanks heavens for that side ride they built between Bridgeport Hill and the Mall. At least that has relieved some of the traffic in that area. When/if construction in that area and Fairmont is ever done maybe that will help a lot.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:46 PM

59 posts, read 101,326 times
Morgantown wasn't that bad last night. I left work at about 10, roads were clear from Westover to Cheat Lake. Everyone was at the game, so the traffic was fine then at least.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:04 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I left work today at 3 pm...took 3.5 hrs to travel 10 miles...Interstate I-79 impassable for miles in both directions...secondary roads covered with everything but cinders...Black Ice, White Ice and Shear Ice...

Work Crews? marginal at best...saw two trucks and they were doing the impossible...one of them did have chains on the rear tires and was spreading salt and cinders.
I was going to go hunting in the evening, but then one of my friends came by and had a deer in the back of his truck that he didn't want, so I stayed home, watched the wind and snow, drank a few cold one's and worked up the freebie for the freezer.

Works for me. Glad I didn't have to drive west on 50 that afternoon.

Last edited by Threerun; 12-08-2008 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia