Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:32 PM

593 posts, read 1,919,776 times

Advertisements

i have been down here for almost 40 years and have never had a problem with sharks even though i have lived on the beach the entire time. i am scared of sharks, though, and always watch for them, just in case, as it isn't far fetched that they might get lost and end up too close to shore

there are a TOn of stingrays, though, and you should ALWAYS shuffle your feet when you walk in the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,167,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocamom View Post
ok, that just isn't true imo. you get a better pizza in any subway station than anywhere in south florida. we have some phenomenal restaurants here (cafe max anyone?) but the pizza is awful
Well you're certainly entitled to your own opinion just like the rest of us.
I can say that I and millions of other folks here in South Florida just love the pizza here locally and wouldn't trade one of them for ten of those pizzas those certain urban northerners with the accompanying attitude proclaim as being so superior to everyone elses pizza.
I'm not talking about you, mind ya - I'm talking about those real special people that think they're so much better and more educated than others - you know what I mean?

Old 12-15-2009, 04:32 PM

71 posts, read 214,116 times
Well, they say Boca Raton is like Long Island with Palm Trees, and having family in that area who I visit and being from Long Island myself, I must agree.

...You'll be able to find restaurants, and the Broward Center for the Performing Arts gets about every single Broadway national tour, so you'll get shows. But, as far as art galleries go and an assortment of culture: you won't really find that. Although, about 45 minutes south in Miami you will find loads of culture!

I would say to the plunge down south, every time I'm down there I love it.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 PM

132 posts, read 230,367 times
I haven't read every post and question but I'll just answer generally. I've lived in So Fla for 4 1/2 years after living in NYC for 16 years. I absolutely LOVE New York, but I'm really glad I moved down here. Yes there are tradeoffs. Forget about good pizza and bagels, it's just not happening and it has to do with the water down here. If you are single it is a bit hard to meet people. In NYC you could walk into a bar and walk out with 5 new friends. It's just not like that here. It is very much a couple-oriented or family-oriented place. In NY, most of my friends were single; here the majority are married, that is just the demographic.

As far as jobs are concerned, the pay is MUCH less. I took a job at 1/2 what I was making in NY, and my housing costs were not that much cheaper, although it was a bigger place. (Plus you have car expenses.) The market has dropped in recent years, however, and now you can get a nice place for a couple hundred dollars less per month than when I first came down here. As far as buying a home, now is the time. I bought at the bottom of the market.

Someone asked about sharks. I'm a surfer and I see sharks every now and again. You get used to it. Great whites are not really in this part of the ocean but there are a few smaller sharks. Just be aware.

At times I really miss NYC. To this day, I can't watch a Seinfeld episode or a Woody Allen movie because I start getting too nostalgic. But I still know it was the right move for me. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach