Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:07 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,862,656 times

Advertisements

I am not from NY though lived in NJ about 1 hour away but in the past couple years lived in Ca and my hometown MI and now Boca. Anyhow I think you can't really compare NY to FL. I know a few people who split their year between both. I know Ca is more like NY in the way it is fast paced and Fl seems so slow and laid back. I do think you will get more for your monry in FL then Ny being so expensive and of course no winter here which I am so thankful for. What do you do for a living or are you retired? That I think needs to be a major part of a choice in moving as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 03:08 PM

623 posts, read 1,308,591 times
Hi, no not retiring. In fact, I'm a begging for work.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:19 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,862,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvchat View Post
Hi, no not retiring. In fact, I'm a begging for work.
What type of job are you looking for and is there better opportunity in FL? I hope you find something soon.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,728 times
Hi read your post. Wanted to know if you made your move? I am moving to West Palm from NY this month. Wanted to know how you like it and what area did you move to?

Old 07-06-2009, 07:18 PM

86 posts, read 227,699 times
I work and live in New Jersey, have lived in NY, and am moving to Boca Raton in two weeks for a job. I dont know anyone down there but am excited for the new experience.

I have a few questions:
Other than the typical stereotype that Floridians are less intellectual, are the people different in any other way(socially?)
Are there sharks close to the shore? (terrified!)
Are there many people in their mid twenties who would be fun to aquaint myself with to build a network of fun people? It was never a problem meeting people in NY
Are people as health conscious/motivated in Florida?

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 PM
m5*

166 posts, read 661,739 times
1. Stereotype. There are ignorant people everywhere. I run into tons of idiots everyday in NYC. As far as socially, people will strike up a conversation with you at the grocery store and wave at you in your neighborhood. The people are nice.
2. Sharks are around but it's not a constant occurence by any means. Stick with a lifeguarded beach, they'll spot the shark and you can all get out. I lived in S FL for 23 years and never had a shark scare at the beach.
3. There's a lot of people in your age range. It's harder to meet people when you're not in school but you may meet a few good people at work and can move within that and make other friends of friends etc etc. Everytime I go home, my best friend of 18 years has a handful of new fun friends for me to meet. As long as you are social, making friends is no problem.
4. There are a lot of good looking young people and people in general because of the act that you're pretty minimally dressed throughout the year. As far as health conscious, I'd like to say yes you will find people with that in mind, and a good deal of them. It's a slower lifestyle so the motivation may be a bit lagging but again, it depends on who you surround yourself with. I find that having your head on straight leads you in the direction of likeminded folks.

I wish you the best. I will be down for interviews this week and have every part of my body crossed for good luck. I can't wait to get back!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:28 PM

M5

Thank you for the information, and good luck with the job interviews!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,460,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy View Post
I work and live in New Jersey, have lived in NY, and am moving to Boca Raton in two weeks for a job. I dont know anyone down there but am excited for the new experience.

I have a few questions:
Other than the typical stereotype that Floridians are less intellectual, are the people different in any other way(socially?)
Are there many people in their mid twenties who would be fun to aquaint myself with to build a network of fun people? It was never a problem meeting people in NY

Thanks!
You will be fine..dh and I are from brooklyn, moved to NJ lived there for 10 years, then moved to NC, now we are in Boca Raton and are really enjoying living here...people are very nice and friendly....good luck on your move

Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,460,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy View Post

I have a few questions:

Thanks!
I see you are in Freehold...I worked in freehold as a realtor, and lived in Manalapan, Millstone twp and then Jackson...

Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I see you are in Freehold...I worked in freehold as a realtor, and lived in Manalapan, Millstone twp and then Jackson...
Yes, I have been working/living here for nearly a year.
Are you now located in Southern Florida? How did you like the transition?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach