Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:27 AM

15 posts, read 71,894 times

Advertisements

Any advice on moving to West Boynton Beach? I want a new single family home. I Live in a Parkland townhouse now. West Boynton seems nice and the new homes are a good value in beautiful gated communities. My other option is a Minto Community in Sunrise near Sawgrass Mills. Boynton Beach or Sunrise that is the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:55 PM

439 posts, read 1,749,098 times
The traffic around Sawgrass Mills can be bothersome. I'd go for West Boynton. The area that you're looking at is quite nice. You won't be as close to everyday conveniences like you would be around Sawgrass, but you'll be closer to stuff than you are now.

Good luck with your search!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Skip those Minto condos around Sawgrass (Artesia is the name). The traffic isn't really all that bothersome around there, it's just deserted and going to be worth NOTHING in two years. Try Artesia then, but for now, go west (Boynton) young man! Just beware that west Boynton has in the past been frequented by professional burglars due to it's "niceness" and of course it could happen again. Not a few (that happens anywhere), I'm talking hundreds of homes being burglarized.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:43 PM

Default Wow

That is scary if that many homes are getting broken into. Parkland seems to be almost crime free and it is a great area to live. I am actually very convenient to things now being close to 441 and the Sawgrass. Just no single family homes in the area that I can afford that are brand new. Moving to Boynton will increase my work commute about 15 minutes. Is 25 minutes to 40 minutes really that bad. Have you heard anything about break ins in the Canyon communities?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:48 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
I have family out there. Last update, it's quiet now, but what I'm saying is that there is the potential. I call it the "Miramar effect", when you have a newly built, upscale area a few minutes from a very impoverished area with easy access in and out by road.

I actually have NOT heard of any of those widespread burglaries in the Canyons. The Lyons Rd communities (especially ungated ones) were attracting the bulk of the burglars in that spree with a significant amount east of the turnpike. That area around Canyon Lakes is a little rural but very quiet. Maybe it won't happen again. Keep in mind this was a while back. I would feel perfectly comfortable with my decision if I were to live in that part of BB. I didn't mean to scare you at all, but just wanted to alert you of something that happened in the past.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:34 PM

639 posts, read 1,142,954 times
Default Don't totally agree

Compelled,
I see your basic point but you have to remember that Miramar is next door to Miami Gardens which has a VERY high percentage rate, based on 100,000 population rate, of crime. East Boynton is busy and has a good amount of crime but I don't think it can be compared to Miami Gardens in number of crimes or in violent crime. Burglars unfortunately can hit in any area but the Canyon developments are gated and relatively safe. For the poster...my bigger concern would be where are your kids, if you have them, going to school if you move to the Canyon developments. I know they are building new schools but they are not ready and because of overcrowding a lot of rezoning has been done.....

Old 07-25-2008, 06:13 PM

I have no kids. Actually a single guy who wants a singly family home in a nice community with amenities. Gym, pool, etc...hearing about the crime in the area tossed me for a loop, but from what I can gather this is the area they are calling the new Boca and safer than East Boynton. My biggest concern is that Canyon is 32 almost all highway miles from where I work. Right now I am 12 miles from work, but all traffic lights. I have timed it a few times and the end result is that Canyon takes me about 10-15 minutes longer. Is that really that bad for South Florida? It is pretty much a 40 minute drive vs. my usual 25 minute drive. I live in Parkland now and really can't afford and don't like anything I have seen. By the way I am in a townhouse now.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:42 PM

Default Lyons Road

Anyone have any idea or heard when Lyons Road will go through from Boynton Beach Blvd. to Atlantic Blvd? That will make such a big difference for those commuters including myself that are considering Canyon Springs. Canyon Springs in about midway on Lyons between Boynton Beach Blvd and Atlantic. Lyons dead ends at the entrance to Canyon Springs. If taking the turnpike you can easily shave 5-10 minutes off the commute by getting of at Atlantic instead of Boynton Beach Blvd. The problem Lyons Road does not go all the way through yet.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:45 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I have family out there. Last update, it's quiet now, but what I'm saying is that there is the potential. I call it the "Miramar effect", when you have a newly built, upscale area a few minutes from a very impoverished area with easy access in and out by road.

I actually have NOT heard of any of those widespread burglaries in the Canyons. The Lyons Rd communities (especially ungated ones) were attracting the bulk of the burglars in that spree with a significant amount east of the turnpike. That area around Canyon Lakes is a little rural but very quiet. Maybe it won't happen again. Keep in mind this was a while back. I would feel perfectly comfortable with my decision if I were to live in that part of BB. I didn't mean to scare you at all, but just wanted to alert you of something that happened in the past.
compelled is all too familiar with the Miramar effect ! He hit the nail on the head with that one. How come you know so much about Miramar compelled ?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:50 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansf View Post
I have no kids. Actually a single guy who wants a singly family home in a nice community with amenities. Gym, pool, etc...hearing about the crime in the area tossed me for a loop, but from what I can gather this is the area they are calling the new Boca and safer than East Boynton. My biggest concern is that Canyon is 32 almost all highway miles from where I work. Right now I am 12 miles from work, but all traffic lights. I have timed it a few times and the end result is that Canyon takes me about 10-15 minutes longer. Is that really that bad for South Florida? It is pretty much a 40 minute drive vs. my usual 25 minute drive. I live in Parkland now and really can't afford and don't like anything I have seen. By the way I am in a townhouse now.
I would still stay away from Boynton Beach if I were you....like I have always said, would you be comfortable at night knowing that a couple miles east of you were gang bangers lusting to break into your nice homes on the West side ? Too close for comfort in my eyes. But again...it's totally up to you. I have a sister in law that lives in West Boynton and she lives in a gated community of nice SFH's with a clubhouse and pool. Extremely nice neighbors. They are happy there. Call me paranoid I guess, but I wouldn't touch Boynton Beach with a ten foot pole. But again, that's just me. My wife says I am way too paranoid, but given what I see day in and day out...I have a right to be. Most people have no clue what is taking place outside on their streets at night while they are all cuddled up in bed with visions of sugarplums dancing in their head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach