Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:31 PM

15 posts, read 57,570 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
My fiancé & I just put a deposit on a home in Palm Beach Gardens, we currently live in NY/NJ.. I LOVE Florida!! I Lived in Boca for 6 months about 2 years ago.. Also it was January to June.. plus I rented, so none of these issues were even on my mind..
So if anyone can help me on the following concerns I have, please help!! I'm popping Xenix every night to go to sleep because I have researched so much that I have myself in a tizzy.... Who Say's tizzy?? This is how nuts I've made myself!!!
So is this area safe?? Does it get hit often by hurricanes? If there is one, how much warning do you get?? If you need to evacuate, where do you go?? What type of insurance do I need?? Shopping Malls stores... how do they rank?? Restaurants??? I am from the diner capital!! I know the home was recently hit and remodeled with no fuss Hurricane glass and it truly is a dream home, & comes with a warranty guarentee... But the more I investigate, the more confused & paranoid I become!!!
We are coming down there next week to check it out & sign our lives away.... I guess with the economy and wanting to start a family.. Most of my worries are warranted, I think... If it were that bad, no one would move out there.. RIGHT???
I guess I want to get all my ducks in order before I watch them all float, or fly away!!!!
Thanks for you time !!!

Last edited by mariabog32; 05-04-2008 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 PM

895 posts, read 4,264,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariabog32 View Post
Hi guys,
My fiancé & I just put a deposit on a home in Palm Beach Gardens, we currently live in NY/NJ.. I LOVE Florida!! I Lived in Boca for 6 months about 2 years ago.. Also it was January to June.. plus I rented, so none of these issues were even on my mind..
So if anyone can help me on the following concerns I have, please help!! I'm popping Xenix every night to go to sleep because I have researched so much that I have myself in a tizzy.... Who Say's tizzy?? This is how nuts I've made myself!!!
So is this area safe?? Does it get hit often by hurricanes? If there is one, how much warning do you get?? If you need to evacuate, where do you go?? What type of insurance do I need?? Shopping Malls stores... how do they rank?? Restaurants??? I am from the diner capital!! I know the home was recently hit and remodeled with no fuss Hurricane glass and it truly is a dream home, & comes with a warranty guarentee... But the more I investigate, the more confused & paranoid I become!!!
We are coming down there next week to check it out & sign our lives away.... I guess with the economy and wanting to start a family.. Most of my worries are warranted, I think... If it were that bad, no one would move out there.. RIGHT???
I guess I want to get all my ducks in order before I watch them all float, or fly away!!!!
Thanks for you time !!!
You need to double that xanax dose, hon.

Where in Gardens are you guys buying? I lived in Gardens for a few years before moving to Juno and then Jupiter. My mom still lives there near the mall.

Gardens is relatively safe. Relatively meaning safe as anywhere.

Does it get hit by hurricanes? It has and it probably will. Last year and the year before were pretty quiet. You get time to prepare and you should also make a hurricane box before the season starts with essentials so you're not running to the store like a crazy person the day before a storm is coming. People buy generators, etc. and they come in handy when you're without electricity for a few days and it's REALLY hot. Hurricanes are just a fact of life and an inconvenience in this area. You adjust to them or you move away. If you need to evacuate, you go to a place in the state that the hurricane is not supposed to go to or you fly out. About three years ago, we went to Tampa because the hurricane was only supposed to hit the southeastern part of the state and we hung out there for four days while it stalled over the ocean, then it hit Palm Beach County and went right across the state. It hit Tampa (which it originally wasn't supposed to!), and we just packed our stuff and went home because Tampa was totally unprepared for the storm. The next "scare", we flew up north. Honestly, you can make it fun. One time we caravanned with two families and turned it into a vacation.

You need to get over the diners. You will NEVER find anything close to great diner food in Florida. That being said, there is good and great restaurants in Palm Beach County. It has great multi-cultural restaurants. Gardens has really grown over the past few years and it has tons of stuff on PGA Blvd. Downtown at the Gardens and Legacy Place are fun with good restaurants. The mall is close by. There is easy access to the beach.

Being in a "tizzy" is normal. Any kind of move, especially out of state, is STRESSFUL!! Good Luck.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 PM

I really appreciate it!!!
It's on Merlot. It has a 16KW generator and is a dream home, we'll at least from the pictures on the MLS it is... As far as preparing myself with a hurricane box.. I am a Gemini & I'm all about the thrill of the kill... But I guess I will have to change my habits on this on!!!
I will not be missing the diner's though, But the 24 hour factor works alot better than the mystery meat in a roll from 7-11 on a late night & in need of that comfort food!! I didn't really have an issue with the food in Florida, I actually found a descent Chinese restaurant in Boca, everyone told me it wasn't possible.. I do however need to stock up on the NY pizza!!! I guess it is all in the water!!! lol
I know it will take some adjusting to... plus the heat!!! I don't mind it.. jump in the pool... go walk on the beach... my fiancé on the otherhand.... I'll just give him one of those water Misters with the fan... I can see my electric bill now!! lol
I am looking to the adventure ahead of me and if I say that enough and keep popping xanex... I just might believe it myself!!!
Thank you for your time!! I'll keep you posted

Last edited by mariabog32; 05-04-2008 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-05-2008, 07:55 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,625,432 times
Quote:
Hi guys,
Thanks for you time !!!
Palm Beach Gardens is safe, upscale and has really changed the past couple of years.

There are plenty of restaurants, shopping and etc. The Gardens Mall was recently renovated and a new shopping complex off of PGA just opened within the past year or so and etc. Food quality varies but it's not NY/NJ quality, a lot of places from Manhattan are opening places down here. Ethnically speaking it's good, the selection isn't bad.

Hurricanes, well you won't avoid them in PBG. You get plenty of warning, it's very high tech and the media covers it 24/7. Time to leave, just have to to plan accordingly because the roads, gas stations and etc can be gridlocked. If there is a mass evacuation, the state will turn all lanes of the highways 1 direction only, so this will help but not everyone want's to leave.

Insurance meaning Home Owners is expensive, that's another can of worms. If your east of the inter coastal you may find getting insurance will be hard, depends.

Yes the economy is not doing too well here for the average folk, jobs are slim pickens. If your coming here planning to locate work afterwards, I would not suggest it.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 AM

895 posts, read 4,264,337 times
Quote:
I really appreciate it!!!
It's on Merlot. It has a 16KW generator and is a dream home, we'll at least from the pictures on the MLS it is...
I don't want to be a downer but...

I think Merlot is in Evergreen. The houses in there are really pretty but it is a master-planned community and has high home owner association fees. Also, check to make sure that you are far enough away from the railroad tracks so that you aren't terribly bothered by it. Location is good off of Donald Ross. You are close to a supermarket and Abacoa and a short distance to the mall and PGA Blvd. Make sure you ask about the fees involved because that's extra every month. And before you sign ANY papers, get quotes on homeowners insurance. This is very important. Some people are having trouble getting it and those that are getting it are paying a lot of money. You have to take all of this into account! This community (as well as most of Palm Beach County) has been hit hard by the RE market with re-sales. At one time, there was a large inventory of homes for sale. Make sure you're going to stay in the area for awhile before you buy because you might not be able to sell. My husband's old assistant rented in Evergreen and she loved living there. I hope it all works out for you.

This is one of the original selling ads for the community:

moderator edit: copyright issue
5FLgirls: you can edit this and place the link instead of the actual text

Last edited by mawipafl; 05-05-2008 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-05-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I don't want to be a downer but...

I think Merlot is in Evergreen. The houses in there are really pretty but it is a master-planned community and has high home owner association fees. Also, check to make sure that you are far enough away from the railroad tracks so that you aren't terribly bothered by it

I am SOOO happy I joined this site!!! These are all Little things the Realtor forgot to tell us!!! I have obtained an attorney down there through a friend. He has given me the number of another Realtor, which I guess for reasons like this they say NEVER do Dual agency!! I never even thought about community dues and will definitely check out the train situation.... nothing like living in paradise with horns & bells @ 6am... I want to get away from the city noise. (Although, it might remind me of being back here)lol
We'll I have already quit my job & the soon to be "ball & chain" is just relocating to a new office.. We do plan on staying, but I'm wondering how much we should put down on our mortgage now... I gotta call the doc for a refill!!! I need to check more into this!!! Homeowners Insurance is a must & what if I can't find a company to do so??? God!!! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!! If anything else comes to mind, please let me know!!!!! I will keep you posted on all this!!
I can't say Thank you Enough!!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 23,939 times
Go For It. I Was Born Here, Raised Three Children, Have Been Here All My Life. A Few Years Ago We Had Two Hurricans Hit Weeks Apart. Had No Serious Damage, But Was Inconvientced For A While. This Never Happened Ever Before. No Matter Where You Choose There Seems To Be Something Lurking. The Good Out Ways The Bad. You Will Love It Here.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,047,996 times
Did you seriously put a deposit on a house you have never seen?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 AM

246 posts, read 1,022,829 times
Do not buy a house until you have seen it and then make sure you put a contingent to have it inspected.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:20 AM

9 posts, read 54,593 times
THERE'S NO SHOPPING LIKE PARAMUS,n.j.( mall heaven!!!!!) but, THERE IS ALOT OF PLACES TO CHECK OUT...AND YES, there are NO diners(which really, reallly SUXKS)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach