Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:10 PM

956 posts, read 1,242,221 times

Advertisements

I hate to be a Pollyanna, but lay off the xanax and get ready to live in Paradise!

We moved here to West Palm 8 years ago from New Jersey. Are there drawbacks like the worry over hurricanes? Sure! But there are negatives wherever you go. Let me tell you that when it comes to shopping, eating, entertainment, you can't beat it. And all within a distance you can afford gas for.

At least with hurricanes, your first will be your worst and then you'll be up to speed. We get a lot of notice, plenty of time to prepare which is the key word. It's not fun ... the aftermath is the worst part. But believe me, once everything is back to normal you forget all about it.

The summers are hot and long. But every winter sitting on our patio overlooking our lake my husband and I look at each other and say "this is why we came here". It is heaven, nothing less. And seriously, the good months run October right into May. It is only just now starting to get hot.

And I just heard about a good, old fashioned, diner right here in West Palm. It was recently written up in a tourist mag so we haven't tried it yet. They have breakfast all day (and everything else, too, of course). Pretty sure it's called Howley's. But no matter what, you will not lack for wonderful places to dine whether casual or upscale. And then there are all the wonderful restaurants along the intracoastal. I could go on forever.

Palm Beach Gardens is wonderful and has a terrific mall! Also, I love the Wellington Mall almost as much.

As far as the house you've chosen so far, I agree with others that I would make sure to check out the area and the house before moving forward. Hope it's a refundable deposit. If you can, but a newer home built to the current code because you'll do much better insurance-wise. We get a ton of discounts on our home bring the cost to a very manageable amount.

Forget the xanax and lie under a palm. Much good luck to you!

Old 05-17-2008, 04:16 PM

62 posts, read 222,914 times
be wary of evergrene.yes it looks pretty,but wci built that community,then dumped it after the hurricanes because they had so many pending lawsuits.those things crumbled after frances!!1i dont remember any of them having a roof...i also worked for someone from wci that laughed when i mentioned the community,and stated how many corners they cut on that project and it was cheap and poorly built...the people had a right to sue wci.mirasol and ibis are also nice communities...but be wary of mold in there.and honestly, i like jupiter much better.ive lived all over broward and palm beach county.i just feel jupiter is less pretentious.gorgeous beaches, and a real cool community overall.pluss,its not as overcrowded and plastic as the gardens.i think the property taxes are lower too.there are pretty communities off of loxahatchee river rd.good luck!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:31 PM

923 posts, read 3,109,995 times
I live in PA but, owned and now rent in Florida for the winters. My advice is:
I would never BUY until I have lived in any area for at least 6 months to a year !!
Some of the complexes where there are HOA's can be a nightmare !!
Good Luck !

Old 03-31-2009, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 20,667 times
Palm Beach Gardens is awesome, but avoid Evergrene. Evergrene has a terrible reputation with realtors. Their HOA Fees are HORRIBLE. I visited Evergrene twice, and I don't think it is any better than nearby communities that have reasonable HOA fees. By the way, there are a LOT of homes for sale in Evergrene. I think people are trying to get out of that community.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 49,654 times
Another poster mentioned Howley's. Howley's is a great diner on Dixie Highway, just south of Southern Blvd. Not sure it competes with NJ/NY diners, but it is really quite good.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:23 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,513,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariabog32 View Post
Hi guys,
My fiancé & I just put a deposit on a home in Palm Beach Gardens, we currently live in NY/NJ.. I LOVE Florida!! I Lived in Boca for 6 months about 2 years ago.. Also it was January to June.. plus I rented, so none of these issues were even on my mind..
So if anyone can help me on the following concerns I have, please help!! I'm popping Xenix every night to go to sleep because I have researched so much that I have myself in a tizzy.... Who Say's tizzy?? This is how nuts I've made myself!!!
So is this area safe?? Does it get hit often by hurricanes? If there is one, how much warning do you get?? If you need to evacuate, where do you go?? What type of insurance do I need?? Shopping Malls stores... how do they rank?? Restaurants??? I am from the diner capital!! I know the home was recently hit and remodeled with no fuss Hurricane glass and it truly is a dream home, & comes with a warranty guarentee... But the more I investigate, the more confused & paranoid I become!!!
We are coming down there next week to check it out & sign our lives away.... I guess with the economy and wanting to start a family.. Most of my worries are warranted, I think... If it were that bad, no one would move out there.. RIGHT???
I guess I want to get all my ducks in order before I watch them all float, or fly away!!!!
Thanks for you time !!!
No offense to you hon, but this is the type of research one does BEFORE they put a deposit down. Your subconscious is obviously speaking to you thus the lack of sleep and worry is setting in.

Do not buy a home until you see it first, have it inspected, call an insurance company and get a quote, find out how much the HOA fees are. Do the research and find out how many homes are in REO status in the area. Depending on the age of home and the design and roof style, screened lanai etc.. will determine the difference of $$$$ 1,000's of insurance money.
There are SO MANY HOMES FOR SALE that one doesn't need to feel rushed or appear so anxious that they would give a deposit BEFORE seeing the property. A photograph can be altered or taken with a wide angle lens to give the appearance of more space, etc.. The home could not be anything close to what your imagination has now built it up to be.
I am sure your agent is doing cart wheels over you and your lack of research.

When you buy a home you need to go inside and get a feel for it, see how bright or how dark the rooms are during the day. Check out the neighboring homes, drive by various times to see traffic, kids, A rated schools etc..
See how well the a/c works, the plumbing and water pressure. See if there is traffic or traffic noise to deal with or any other noises or smells, bugs, termites or anything that could turn you off of the house. You say it has been renovated due to a hurricane hit, were permits taken? Is the work done properly? Why is it for sale? Does it have water damage? mold issues?

This home might look fine in a photo but once you walk in you may realize you don't like it. Look at other homes to get a feel for what you really want in a house, what is important to you and what you can settle for or not settle for.

Slow down, its great that you are excited moving to Florida and everything but you don't even know if you would like that area. To purchase a home right now is the equivalent of marrying it. Once you have signed you are stuck with it as homes are NOT selling very fast.
The prices are continuing to decline and there is no end in sight. You may end up over paying due to your over exuberance. The deal you strike up today may not even look like a deal in a few months.

I would highly suggest that you find a nice rental for a year first and then start your research on finding the right home by driving around different areas and exploring.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM

50 posts, read 196,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Did you seriously put a deposit on a house you have never seen?
apparently she didn't even ask what the HOA fees were either...

Old 04-03-2009, 09:26 PM

923 posts, read 3,109,995 times
I have lived, rented, owned in Florida for many years. And I would NEVER, NEVER buy in any complex or area until you rent there first !!!!!!! Go to www.vacationrentals.com or www.vrbo.com (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link) and check out a rental, then snoop around !!! TRUST ME !!!!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:37 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,589,881 times
Folks, this thread is a year old.......

closed.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach