Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 21,230 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm up for a position in West Palm Beach, Fl. I'll be moving from a quiet town in PA about 45min from downtown Philly. I live in suburbs and I'm just so far from EVERYTHING. What I'd really like to have is a neighborhood that has cafes and restaurants within walking distance and the beach close by. Nice movie theatres and bookstores close by would be great also. I'll be renting and can afford anything up to about 1500-2000 a month. I'm 31 no kids moving with 26yr old sis. We don't do clubs but we like upscale restaurants once in a while. We just want a great area that isn't far away from everything.

I did some research and I like the Las Olas Blvd area because there seems to be so much to do. With the job being in West Palm Beach I'm wondering if Fort Lauderdale would be too much of a commute? I'm wondering if Boca would be better since it's in the middle? I'm used to a long commute to work of about 45min. I think I rather get the lifestyle I want more than worry about commute. I'd really appreciate any words of advice. Of course I'll be visiting the areas before I move I'd just like a heads up about the best neighborhoods with my criteria from people with experience. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 07:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
If you like Las Olas, you would love downtown Delray Beach. It's even closer than Boca and would take about 30 minutes. Your price range would be no issue. There is no reason to live all the way down in Ft. Lauderdale as you could find what you are looking for right there.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 AM

94 posts, read 367,947 times
Downtown West Palm. There are some town homes and condos where you can walk to everything you describe including the intercoastal - don't listen to the nitwits who say it's not safe - it's a bunch of malarkey. Boca and Ft Lauderdale is a murderous commute. Google Clematis Street and Cityplace

Check my posts for more info..

Old 04-04-2008, 09:01 AM

Murderous? Dude, have you ever made that commute before? I have to drive all over Broward/Palm Beach County for my job, so I know a thing or two about what it's like to drive down here. Everyone exaggerates about the traffic SO MUCH down here. Seriously, I'm in sales so I have to get around sometimes, and the last time I got stuck in traffic was four weeks ago taking I-595 west bound, and I was out of it in 5 minutes. Unless you live or work in Miami, I'm sorry but nobody has any business complaining about the traffic, just about every other homosapien populated region is worse. It's a lot of driving, with a lot of ass-hole drivers, but it's far from murderous to take that commute from Boca/Delray. Traffic is not having more than one car on the road, which seems to be everyones definition. Traffic is moving 20 miles per hour less than the speed limit out of random, with no alternates, and getting stuck at a red light for 4-5 cycles. We just don't have that down here in many spots.

On the other hand. Dowtown WPB may have what she wants anyway. But I think it's more nightlife oriented. OP said she isn't into clubs thus the Delray suggeston which has more of the coffeeshop/upscale dining thing and walking distance to the beach. WPB isn't very close to a public beach, while Delray has an awesome one. Ft. Lauderdale however would be ridiculously far for no reason.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-04-2008 at 09:09 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Murderous? Dude, have you ever made that commute before? I have to drive all over Broward/Palm Beach County for my job, so I know a thing or two about what it's like to drive down here. Everyone exaggerates about the traffic SO MUCH down here. Unless you live or work in Miami, I'm sorry but nobody has any business complaining about the traffic, just about every other homosapien populated region is worse. It's a lot of driving, with a lot of ass-hole drivers, but it's far from murderous.
My commute is 12 minutes door to door. Lauderdale to WPB and vice versa is 1 hour+, 1.5 - 2 hours with the weekly traffic busting wreck. Boca is 2/3rd's the time of the Lauderdale commute. By the time the poor SOB gets home from work I'll have already finished working out. Plus my car will have 10K miles a year while the Lauderdale commuter will have 30K+

Reasonable people define that commute as murderous...

Old 04-04-2008, 09:11 AM

Oh I was thinking from Delray in my head lol (Sorry did not read your post throughly). Lauderdale WOULD be murderous. If there is a wreck it's not difficult to get off and go around it (in my own experience having to go from WESTON to WPB) but yes Ft. Lauderdale to WPB would be just only a little bit ridiculous lol.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:21 AM

259 posts, read 1,323,916 times
While this is the PB/Boca forum, I apologize for the half-hijack in advance, but compelled, given your daily life behind the wheel, what would you guesstimate commuting times for the following......

West Boca subdivisions to Las Olas in Ft.L?
Coral Springs " "
Weston " "

I expect to leave at 7am and return at 6pm.

Thanks.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:32 AM

West Boca to Las Olas should be in the 35-40 minute range. I would get on to the turnpike at Glades Rd and then take I-595 east bound the 95 connector (you don't actually have to get on 95), then get off at Broward Blvd, and then there is a side road I take to get to Las Olas. If there are any accidents on 595 I would take Sunrise Blvd down. The 595 EB traffic usually dies off just west of the turnpike and is smooth until I-95 unless there is an accident. Afternoons are similar.

Coral Springs would be similar. You would just get on the turnpike from Sample or Atlantic instead. Sometimes the former can be congested in the morning so I personally would take an alternate (like maybe Royal Palm Blvd) and then cut back over depending on where in C. Springs you are. Keep in mind they are having some construction on the turnpike to make it 8 lanes but it hasn't been causing me any issues at all. You can shave 10 minutes off from Boca. Afternoons are similar.

Weston to Ft. Lauderdale can be a drag. You would take 595 east bound all the way, and on a typical morning 595 can potentially be moving slow from Flamingo Rd to Davie Rd. Now that they widened Griffin Rd it has proved to me to be a pretty good alternate from Weston. I might take Griffin down to wherever the traffic stops (by listening to a traffic report) and get back on 595 via that route. Usually no cops either, and the lights are timed nice . You can also take Broward Blvd depending on how far north in Weston you are. At some points Broward Blvd is inconvenient. That would take about 30-35 minutes, although on some days I-595 isn't backed up and you might get there in 25. For some reason, there usually isn't traffic west bound on 595 except for on Fridays. On Fridays it will be slowed down for a pretty short distance, from SR7 to about University Dr. So about 25 minutes and 30 assuming the worst. However, accidents can happen and like I said you have alternates.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:08 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Gator View Post
Downtown West Palm. There are some town homes and condos where you can walk to everything you describe including the intercoastal - don't listen to the nitwits who say it's not safe - it's a bunch of malarkey. Boca and Ft Lauderdale is a murderous commute. Google Clematis Street and Cityplace

Check my posts for more info..

Actually, downtown West Palm Beach IS transient. There are nice old looking homes that a few blocks down from the ghetto. Most people wouldn't want to deal with that, that's why some very nice historic homes in downtown West Palm Beach are so much cheaper than others. It's all about location.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Actually, downtown West Palm Beach IS transient. There are nice old looking homes that a few blocks down from the ghetto. Most people wouldn't want to deal with that, that's why some very nice historic homes in downtown West Palm Beach are so much cheaper than others. It's all about location.
Exactly my point! It's a great location - unless your a nervous nellie, or geriatric, or have a family...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach