Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,146 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I moved to Florida from Rhode Island right out of high school. The longer I live here, the more I miss New England. Unfortunately this is where the job is, so my husband and I are sadly resigned to the idea that {barring a mysterious benefactor leaving us a winning lotto ticket} we are trapped here for the long run.

My husband works in Boca, so we need to live in this area. We're also firmly in the middle class, so we don't have the money to throw towards a McMansion piece of property.

All that said, I need nature like I'm used to from growing up in New England. Lots of trees, quiet, private, safe - as opposed to half-dead palms, crowded complexes and bugs being the extent of the wildlife. Can anyone point me to an area to start house or apartment-hunting that doesn't feel like the typical over-developed, stagnant, plastic Florida I've grown to loathe over the last 15 years? It's a shot in the dark, I know, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhatLady View Post
Hello everyone.

I moved to Florida from Rhode Island right out of high school. The longer I live here, the more I miss New England. Unfortunately this is where the job is, so my husband and I are sadly resigned to the idea that {barring a mysterious benefactor leaving us a winning lotto ticket} we are trapped here for the long run.

My husband works in Boca, so we need to live in this area. We're also firmly in the middle class, so we don't have the money to throw towards a McMansion piece of property.

All that said, I need nature like I'm used to from growing up in New England. Lots of trees, quiet, private, safe - as opposed to half-dead palms, crowded complexes and bugs being the extent of the wildlife. Can anyone point me to an area to start house or apartment-hunting that doesn't feel like the typical over-developed, stagnant, plastic Florida I've grown to loathe over the last 15 years? It's a shot in the dark, I know, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks!
LoL, you won't be happy until hubby can find a job in the Panhandle or further north!

Old 07-08-2013, 06:57 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Hello everyone.

Thanks!

The historic neighborhoods just outside of downtown Delray Beach may have the look and feel you're looking for. You will pay more per sq. ft. there, and likely get a smaller house, but the tradeoffs in having a more authentic neighborhood and neighbors is worth it.

It WILL feel like Florida - "old Florida"... more lush trees, tropical landscaping, smaller homes.

There may be similar in eastern Boca, but I'm not as familiar with Boca.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,709 times
Old Florida means an older community, and / or places where individualism is not dead. Depends on how far your husband wants to drive to work, how much land you want to care for, and even if you're willing to consider well water versus city.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Old Florida means an older community, and / or places where individualism is not dead. Depends on how far your husband wants to drive to work, how much land you want to care for, and even if you're willing to consider well water versus city.

I didn't think about this, but yes, the acreage communities, etc. are available for people who want a more country lifestyle/nature.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I didn't think about this, but yes, the acreage communities, etc. are available for people who want a more country lifestyle/nature.

Being from New England, I completely empathize with the OP.

Need to be in a spot where you can breathe without hitting your neighbors house on the exhale. :-)

Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Believe it or not, Palmetto Bay and eastern Kendall area in Miami-Dade County, centered around Old Cutler Road and Killian Parkway in particular. That is a brutal commute to Boca, though, and not cheap. Could look at the Palm Beach Farms neighborhood of Boca, but it's pretty pricey. Tri made some good suggestions, and Loxahatchee in particular is pretty affordable although more of a rural old Florida lifestyle than a quasi New England feel.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 AM

From a Coldwell Banker google hit

"The Acreage, Florida is located in Palm Beach. Nearby cities and towns include Lake Belvedere Estates, Loxahatchee Groves, Palm Beach Gardens, Royal Palm Beach and Wellington. The Acreage is a suburban community with a population of 41,505. The median household income in The Acreage is $80,971. 70% of residents are married and families with children reside in 44% of The Acreage households. Half the population of The Acreage commutes 35 minutes or more to work, with 65% of residents holding white collar jobs and 35% residents holding blue collar jobs.
The median age of homes in The Acreage, FL is 7 years, with 82% of those homes owned, 6% rented and 10% not occupied."

And my add: There are dirt roads, 1.5 acre lots, canals and well water, horses, other livestock, dogs and cats. Kids on bikes. More plant life then you will ever want will blow into your yard, and if you like it you can keep it. Most houses are variations of ranch style, some date back to the 80's like ours though its still CBS, some are new McMansions.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:47 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,734 times
Quote:
Hello everyone.

Thanks!
The only ticket to your desire is a one way trip up I-95....

Old 07-09-2013, 07:42 AM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Some folks here are confusing New England with "hillbilly, illegal immigrant dirt road paradise" that Loxahatchee/Acreage offers ! New England living doesn't usually offer 1.25 acre lots on dirt roads.

To the OP, you are not going to find NE living here. That being said, you are looking for neighborhoods that offer more character than West Boca/441 offers. Look into the Lake Ida area of Delray, the Old Floresta area in Boca is similar but priced higher per sq ft. Lake Ida is a mix of homes, less of the barrel tile McMansion/palm tree concept that has overtaken much of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach