Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 PM

591 posts, read 829,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Maybe, but contrary to belief a lot of people do not even go outside here. I have some neighbors who I never see outside, they have kids too they just sit in the house all weekend even during the winter. Nice weather and lifestyle doesn't automatically mean people will enjoy the entertainment whether it's free or you got to pay for it.

Weirdest place I ever lived where I saw so many people living a sedentary lifestyle in near perfect weather year round.
Most of the professionals in South Florida are business owners/managers and, consequently, workaholics. Usually, these folks have little time, if any, to enjoy the weather, lifestyle, and entertainment options of wherever they live, even if they happen to live in South Florida. The lives of these folks would be the same regardless of where they live; they would just rather hang their hats in beautiful, subtropical South Florida instead of in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Illinois, or Michigan.

If I was going to be a workaholic with no time to enjoy the outdoors, which I probably will be one day, I would much rather see palm trees and sunshine when looking out my office, home, or car window than the alternative, even if I didn't have that many regular opportunities to enjoy these things or the other merits of South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,562,066 times
Hmm. I moved to Florida specifically for the weather and the ability to be outdoors year round. Which I suppose is why I feel at home on 1.25 acres and am happy to experience nature in all its glory. To me places like gated communities and manicured everything are artificially pretty and don't hold a candle to the variety of mother nature that I see just opening my front door.

Staying indoors, you miss so much of real life.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,624,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Most of the professionals in South Florida are business owners/managers and, consequently, workaholics. Usually, these folks have little time, if any, to enjoy the weather, lifestyle, and entertainment options of wherever they live, even if they happen to live in South Florida. The lives of these folks would be the same regardless of where they live; they would just rather hang their hats in beautiful, subtropical South Florida instead of in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Illinois, or Michigan.

If I was going to be a workaholic with no time to enjoy the outdoors, which I probably will be one day, I would much rather see palm trees and sunshine when looking out my office, home, or car window than the alternative, even if I didn't have that many regular opportunities to enjoy these things or the other merits of South Florida.
Not my clients, they are what you claim and they live life quite well here, maybe work when they feel like it, some have an offices but are never in them. Me on the other hand, I work plenty and am a "professional" as well but I still have time to enjoy the weather and lifestyle as do the other six figure income people in my office, some are triathletes, I even cycle with a few around Welly World on the weekends. That just didn't happen when I moved here back in the 90's, I lived in several areas in the Northeast and did the same thing there and it changed during the seasons.

A few of my neighbors do not work, they are 30 to 40 somethings, I do not ask them why or how they make ends meet, not my business but it sure does raise an eyebrow, especially when they ask me what I do, I am like....should I ask them, then say nah why bother..... I know one of them inherited a lot of money and told me so without me even asking... guy is 35, married with 4 kids. Nice people though, throw awesome parties and I am always invited, can't complain!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,624,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Hmm. I moved to Florida specifically for the weather and the ability to be outdoors year round. Which I suppose is why I feel at home on 1.25 acres and am happy to experience nature in all its glory. To me places like gated communities and manicured everything are artificially pretty and don't hold a candle to the variety of mother nature that I see just opening my front door.

A lot of people here do not dig the beach, going outside unless it equals food, mall or movies. I have met Florida natives that say they hate the beach and sand too....aside from the mosquitoes out west and around me, I do not mind the weather and go out all year round.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.

By the way, where in FL do you live?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:50 PM

I'm in the acreage. And while its west its far from the desolate boonies some think, 3 miles to target and all the rest retail has to offer. Loxahatchee is a bit more out there drivewise.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I'm in the acreage. And while its west its far from the desolate boonies some think, 3 miles to target and all the rest retail has to offer. Loxahatchee is a bit more out there drivewise.
I'm envious of you because I love The Acreage. IMO, The Acreage and Jupiter Farms are the nicest areas of Palm Beach County.

By the way, when I used to live in East Boca, the nearest Target was over 6 miles away in Deerfield.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 PM

Since they built the 441/7 extension, getting out and about is a breeze from where I live. Once its through to northlake it will be easier to go that way too. This house is just conveniently located, as is all of the acreage now. Loxahatchee is more remote and harder to get in and out of, but most people there move there for the land and agriculture lifestyle. Couple of good Facebook groups for swip swap, lost and found pets and gardening have cropped up too, and its a great way, I am finding, to connect with people out here.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Since they built the 441/7 extension, getting out and about is a breeze from where I live. Once its through to northlake it will be easier to go that way too. This house is just conveniently located, as is all of the acreage now. Loxahatchee is more remote and harder to get in and out of, but most people there move there for the land and agriculture lifestyle. Couple of good Facebook groups for swip swap, lost and found pets and gardening have cropped up too, and its a great way, I am finding, to connect with people out here.
I'm very glad to hear that.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 PM

5,187 posts, read 7,003,074 times
You can just about fit the whole State of Rhode Island in Jacksonville, that always makes me laugh, how small the state is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach