Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 PM

60 posts, read 192,892 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am considering a long-term move to WPB or somewhere else in SoFlo in the near future (within next year). I am a 23 year old white male. Between my Masters degree and nursing home admin. license I am confident I can find a good paying job in the area.

Now to the semantics. As a state I love Florida, having always visited during winters in my youth years. I want you to put yourself in my shoes for a moment, being a 23 year old white male looking for the following in FL:

- Modern, developed area, at least somewhat safe
- Young professional populous (which hopefully include good looking girls)
- Good nightlife (doesn't have to be world-class)
- Good beaches
- Golf courses

My biggest withholding on South Florida is the "fakeness" of the women I constantly hear about. I am looking for an area with women who hold their own. Is WPB my best option or would FTL be better (Miami is out of question)? Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by KingSpring85; 01-31-2013 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 06:30 PM

39 posts, read 114,725 times
Don't move here until you have a job first. Healthcare is one of the economic stalwarts down here, but competition for jobs is fierce and employers generally like applicants to have at least 3-5 years of experience. Not to discourage you, but this place is littered with people who moved here with expectations of a better life and found out the hard way that FL isn't all sunshine if you know what I mean. Drive up and down Congress Ave, Military Tr, or Okeechobee and you'll see all the people panhandling on the street corners. This is why I'm telling you to have a job first before you move here.

A run-of-the-mill house will cost about about $175-$200k, but prices are going up fast. If you're looking to rent be prepared to spend about $1100 per month on average.

Hate to break it to you dude, but this isn't a young town. Yeah, there are young people living here, but they're all transplants who moved here to work the service jobs; they're not the ones who are buying real estate out in Wellington, Palm Beach Gardens, or Jupiter and working in the corporate world. I'm not saying they don't exist, but you won't find them in plenary supply if you buy a house and move to the burbs.

There is fabulous nightlife here - just head over to Clematis Street and/or City Place to find it. Atlantic Ave in Delray Beach is another great place you can go.

The bars and restaurants here are expensive. Expect to pay $12-$15 for a cocktail and at least $5 for a crappy, light beer. They're also obsessive about cover charges on weekends. If you're bar hopping on Clematis on a Saturday night expect to pay $10 for every bar/club you enter. It gets annoying fast.

If you're looking for good looking girls, just hang out at City Place. That's where you'll find them all.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 AM

39 posts, read 114,725 times
My apologies for only focusing on West Palm Beach. I don't get to Miami very much, but I can tell you that Fort Lauderdale is (in my opinion) a younger town. While there are plenty of young women here in WPB, you'll find even more of them in the Fort Lauderdale area. It's more expensive there and the crime is worse too in my opinion. You'll also have to put up with a lot more annoying tourists than we do here in WPB. The worse part about WPB is dealing with all the annoying New Yorkers and New Englanders in general. But then again, Northeasterners are everywhere in FL; if they all left at once the population would drop by 50%... but I'm getting off topic so I digress.

Los Olas is the party district in Fort Lauderdale. The nightlife there is very good.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
OP:

If you're wondering whether South Florida has young people, it most certainly does. Frankly, wherever you find your job (Broward County or Palm Beach) you will be able to find adequate nightlife, young people etc.

So focus on the job search in both and then if it's a dilemma of which you should pursue, then it will be a matter of bigger city (Ft. Lauderdale) vs. smaller city (West Palm Beach).

Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
The population of the USA is aging on a whole but it's no joke that you will see more seniors here, but not near as bad as other parts of Florida. Only difference here is the seniors and retired baby boomers are more active, so your going to see them out in public more often. The early bird types are in bed by 9PM.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:29 AM

60 posts, read 192,892 times
I appreciate all the replies I guess I will let the job decide where I end up between WPB and FTL. Thank you

Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 AM

490 posts, read 1,097,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galan View Post
Don't move here until you have a job first. Healthcare is one of the economic stalwarts down here, but competition for jobs is fierce and employers generally like applicants to have at least 3-5 years of experience. Not to discourage you, but this place is littered with people who moved here with expectations of a better life and found out the hard way that FL isn't all sunshine if you know what I mean. Drive up and down Congress Ave, Military Tr, or Okeechobee and you'll see all the people panhandling on the street corners. This is why I'm telling you to have a job first before you move here.

A run-of-the-mill house will cost about about $175-$200k, but prices are going up fast. If you're looking to rent be prepared to spend about $1100 per month on average.

Hate to break it to you dude, but this isn't a young town. Yeah, there are young people living here, but they're all transplants who moved here to work the service jobs; they're not the ones who are buying real estate out in Wellington, Palm Beach Gardens, or Jupiter and working in the corporate world. I'm not saying they don't exist, but you won't find them in plenary supply if you buy a house and move to the burbs.

There is fabulous nightlife here - just head over to Clematis Street and/or City Place to find it. Atlantic Ave in Delray Beach is another great place you can go.

The bars and restaurants here are expensive. Expect to pay $12-$15 for a cocktail and at least $5 for a crappy, light beer. They're also obsessive about cover charges on weekends. If you're bar hopping on Clematis on a Saturday night expect to pay $10 for every bar/club you enter. It gets annoying fast.

If you're looking for good looking girls, just hang out at City Place. That's where you'll find them all.
^ What this guy said ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach