Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 AM

9 posts, read 14,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I have access to the MLS, and it looks like for 3brs in Gardens/Jupiter you are more likely to find a condo or a townhouse for a 1500/3br budget.

There are a number of 3brs available in that price range, including a 3br condo right next to Carlin Park (beach). A condo in Abacoa Town Center, a condo at Fiore, and condos in San Matera.

Sometimes on Craigslist you'll also see a townhouse in Abacoa. Those get snapped up pretty fast. Also, PGA national will sometimes have 3brs in that price range.

Single family homes in that price range tend to be in the Cabana Colony neighborhood of Gardens. Frankly I am not familiar with whether that is a family friendly and safe area.

Hey thanks for the info! I have seen a few rentals in the Cabana Colony but I'm not familiar with that area. I wonder what kind of luck I'll have in Wellington?
Just curious, what is MLS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,520,932 times
MLS is multiple listing service, accessible to real estate agents.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,520,932 times
Homes for Rent in West Palm Beach - Rental Homes in Florida

Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM

9 posts, read 14,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
MLS is multiple listing service, accessible to real estate agents.
gotcha, thank you

Old 01-31-2013, 03:45 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galan View Post
You're making a huge mistake if you think $34k a year is going to allow you to have a normal life here. Sorry to be blunt about it, but that's not a sustainable income level here. You need double that income to have a normal, independent life anywhere in South Florida. Most "advertised" apartment rentals go for $900-$1000 per month at the very least. You may be able to find cheaper ones but they won't be located in good areas. Your best bet is to answer a roommate add on Craigslist, but even then you'll be paying $600-$800 per month. Your car insurance is going to skyrocket too.

I was wondering if $34000 was a good income.....

https://www.city-data.com/income/inco...h-Florida.html

Old 01-31-2013, 04:23 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,033,299 times
$34,000/year is not a lot of money, but I don't see why you couldn't live on it in West Palm as a single person.

$34,000/year is $2,833/month. You should only lose at most 15% of that to taxes and health insurance if you're smart. That leaves you about $2,400/month for the following:

Rent: $700. You can find apartments for that all day in The Villages. Don't listen to the scaredey-cats on here who claim you have to spend $1K or more to stay out of gangland. That just isn't true.

Electric/Water: $150. That's on the high end, even for July and August, but we want a little wiggle room.

Cable/Internet/Cell Phone: $150. And Cable isn't even a necessity. You can always cut that part out if your budget gets tight.

Car Insurance: $100. If you don't have a horrible driving record, a bunch of DUIs, or a red Lamborghini, this is doable even with full coverage.

Food/Gas: $400. Make the wholesale stores like BJs and Costco your friend and you can eat healthy and hearty for $200/month. Gas will be about the same assuming $50/tank, one tank a week.

Miscellaneous: $50. Toilet paper, toothpaste, paper towels, mouthwash, etc. Once again, shooting high with the dollar amount to give you room to spare.

Other Expenses: $125. This is a good average for those other BS expenses that may pop up from month to month. Oil change, new brakes, new tires, doctor/dentist/eye doctor copays, etc.

Gym Membership: $25. Gots to stay buff in a city where we don't wear much clothes. This is what I currenty pay at 24 Hour Fitness, some of the smaller clubs like YouFit are even less.

Total: $1,700.

That leaves you about $700 every month left over to do what you want: put toward retirement; take a road trip; go downtown; hit the spa; save for a rainy day; etc.

As you can see, you're going to have to live on a budget and account for every dollar to make it work, but it can be done. The glitz and glamour of South Florida you see on television won't be the life you'll be living.... but you'll be making a living.

Last edited by Pimpy; 01-31-2013 at 04:32 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 11,434 times
I made this mistake about 10 yrs ago and relocated from north Fl to Jupiter...it was a bad decision. So expensive...everything is expensive. I wouldn't do it again and if you decide to go west(inland) as much as possible. Prices go down a little.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
$34,000/year is not a lot of money, but I don't see why you couldn't live on it in West Palm as a single person.

$34,000/year is $2,833/month. You should only lose at most 15% of that to taxes and health insurance if you're smart. That leaves you about $2,400/month for the following:

Rent: $700. You can find apartments for that all day in The Villages. Don't listen to the scaredey-cats on here who claim you have to spend $1K or more to stay out of gangland. That just isn't true.

Electric/Water: $150. That's on the high end, even for July and August, but we want a little wiggle room.

Cable/Internet/Cell Phone: $150. And Cable isn't even a necessity. You can always cut that part out if your budget gets tight.

Car Insurance: $100. If you don't have a horrible driving record, a bunch of DUIs, or a red Lamborghini, this is doable even with full coverage.

Food/Gas: $400. Make the wholesale stores like BJs and Costco your friend and you can eat healthy and hearty for $200/month. Gas will be about the same assuming $50/tank, one tank a week.

Miscellaneous: $50. Toilet paper, toothpaste, paper towels, mouthwash, etc. Once again, shooting high with the dollar amount to give you room to spare.

Other Expenses: $125. This is a good average for those other BS expenses that may pop up from month to month. Oil change, new brakes, new tires, doctor/dentist/eye doctor copays, etc.

Gym Membership: $25. Gots to stay buff in a city where we don't wear much clothes. This is what I currenty pay at 24 Hour Fitness, some of the smaller clubs like YouFit are even less.

Total: $1,700.

That leaves you about $700 every month left over to do what you want: put toward retirement; take a road trip; go downtown; hit the spa; save for a rainy day; etc.

As you can see, you're going to have to live on a budget and account for every dollar to make it work, but it can be done. The glitz and glamour of South Florida you see on television won't be the life you'll be living.... but you'll be making a living.

you forget the chicks..

Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,033,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
you forget the chicks..
I prefer knocking down the rich ones who will pick up the check.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I prefer knocking down the rich ones who will pick up the check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach