Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 06:01 PM

17,340 posts, read 22,081,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPalmHereIcome View Post

You wouldn't happen to have any info concerning the amount of sales thus far to date do you?

Where do you find that info? Thanks!

Looks like JCC has sold 21 new homes and had 3 resales in 2014 so far.

So instead of 3 new homes a month like last year, they are moving 4 new homes a month for the current year.....Also note they have made the floor plans smaller and lowered the prices since the original grand opening. The 5000 sq ft McMansions have been scaled back and the newer homes are 2000-3000 sq ft single story retirement type homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 AM

141 posts, read 307,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Looks like JCC has sold 21 new homes and had 3 resales in 2014 so far.

So instead of 3 new homes a month like last year, they are moving 4 new homes a month for the current year.....Also note they have made the floor plans smaller and lowered the prices since the original grand opening. The 5000 sq ft McMansions have been scaled back and the newer homes are 2000-3000 sq ft single story retirement type homes.
We looked there and the homes we saw were gorgeous - WAY better than Rialto. It's a completely different animal. I would be shocked and feel like I was taken advantage of if I found out I was paying the same price if not MORE in Rialto for the shoddy construction compared to the quality that is available in JCC.

If we get to know the area, we might do JCC also. The only thing holding us back is the fact that it takes so long to build a house and we really do not have that luxury. We are renting a condo and we only reserved it for three months with an additional available if we need it.

I thought JCC was beautiful. Why do you dislike it so?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 17,546 times
We've been considering buying in JCC but the social membership thing bothers me. For tennis courts, pools, and a gym I'd rather just pay a higher HOA fee much like other subdivisions. The sales lady said we'd soon have a grand clubhouse. I'm a little wary of getting involved with club equity and rising fees in the future. It's been disastrous in a couple of CCs in the area. I know we would be selling in 8-10 years.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenex View Post
We've been considering buying in JCC but the social membership thing bothers me. For tennis courts, pools, and a gym I'd rather just pay a higher HOA fee much like other subdivisions. The sales lady said we'd soon have a grand clubhouse. I'm a little wary of getting involved with club equity and rising fees in the future. It's been disastrous in a couple of CCs in the area. I know we would be selling in 8-10 years.
Mirasol just got smacked with this.....new clubhouse will cost members 40K each!

The old clubhouse is too small, despite being beautiful and only like 12-15 years old......

Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPalmHereIcome View Post
We looked there and the homes we saw were gorgeous - WAY better than Rialto.

I thought JCC was beautiful. Why do you dislike it so?
I don't dislike it but rather dislike how it is/was pitched to buyers. I have noticed a few things at the 2 places you mentioned.....

1. Rialto is driven at families, big houses in a gated subdivision. I will say the actual core construction is better than the wood frame 2nd floor stuff being built out in JCC by Toll Brothers. Rialto is all CBS block up to the roof. Disclaimer- JCC will do solid block on the one story homes but still builds wood on 2nd floor. At this price point, wood is out of the question IMHO. Both communities are beside major highways and the price points range from 400K-1mm in both places, though Rialto thins out drastically at the top level. I have seen 10 year old homes built by Toll in Frenchmans Reserve gutted on the 2nd floor bathrooms due to the glass block windows leaking and destroying the supporting wood walls. They frequently use glass block as privacy walls on zero lot line homes (no clear windows on one side of the house). Several people have made money selling homes in Rialto (particularly early owners) but everyone in JCC has lost hundreds of thousands (some have lost 300-400-500-600K in just a few years, not counting foreclosures). (Zillow: 190 and 194 Elena Court, 33478). Ironically the owners of these houses both moved to Rialto!

2. JCC is decent but the community seems to lack something. It started right at the downturn so slow sales isn't necessarily the whole problem at JCC. Originally it seemed to be a Frenchmans Reserve type community (mixed retirees/young families/snowbirds) but it just never clicked. Today it has seemed to move towards retirees (smaller one story floor plans).

3. Club- giving the membership away (read: forced membership) seems to be the red flag that they were concerned with the club being able to sustain itself upon build out. Country clubs are a dying model, too many clubs, not enough golfers/club members. Truly desirable clubs have waiting lists, not forced membership.

I don't have the answers on JCC, I guess time will tell but Bayhill and Ironhorse were both high end golf club communities that eventually lost their golf club due to finances. Toll Brothers has billions to keep this place going but not sure the homeowners will once Toll sells/pulls out.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 PM

10 posts, read 17,546 times
I currently live in a Toll Bros home built in '07 and there have been construction issues. I'd still buy a Toll Bros home because I don't think the mainstream alternatives in the area are any better. We aren't in Oklahoma, folks, and good construction is no bargain here, if you can find it. For folks from the NE, it looks pretty good. I'm not a multimillionaire, so I have to pick from what is available.

Comparing Rialto to JCC is not really fair because Rialto will never have those beautiful golf course views. My frugal side can't make peace with the club membership. It won't get any cheaper as the years pass, that's for sure. If it works for you, great. But don't be naive about how easily your neighbors can spend Other Peoples Money.

CBS construction is CBS construction, no matter where you are in South Fl. Rialto cuts some cosmetic corners, such as using bifold doors on closets, and a knockdown wall finish. For those prices they shouldn't be so cheesy. But I think the shell of the house is just about the same on either side of I95. Toll Bros should know wood 2nd floors don't make sense here. Rialto shouldn't put so many side entry garages on zero lot line houses. Everyone ends up leaving their cars outside and it looks junky. Toll decorates their models nicely, but don't let it distract you from how easily you can turn around in the laundry room or how well the kitchen floor plan flows. Some things can be fixed, and others can't.

Good luck finding the home that makes the most sense for you and your family.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:33 AM

141 posts, read 307,265 times
This has been a great conversation! Thank you to everyone for answering this thread.

At this point we are not going to do either JCC or Rialto. Right now we are looking at PGA, Evergrene, and places in Jupiter I am going to see on Saturday.

We really can't comfortably afford a golf membership from any of the expensive ones. Right now we are exploring our options.

I went to Wellington the other day. The area near the mall was brand spanking new and really pretty. The communities are huge and GORGEOUS!

Wellington is too far for us, but if anyone is into horses or polo, it's the place to go. We definitely will be making a trip there to watch a game.

Haven't been to Tequesta yet, but I have a feeling it's too far for us. But I'm still going to at least take a drive out there.

Since my husband is a golfer so we are trying to find a house on the course or at least a golf course community. Slim pickins' when one can't afford the initiation fees. LOL

Old 05-16-2014, 07:30 AM

72 posts, read 227,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenex View Post
I currently live in a Toll Bros home built in '07 and there have been construction issues. I'd still buy a Toll Bros home because I don't think the mainstream alternatives in the area are any better. We aren't in Oklahoma, folks, and good construction is no bargain here, if you can find it. For folks from the NE, it looks pretty good. I'm not a multimillionaire, so I have to pick from what is available.

Comparing Rialto to JCC is not really fair because Rialto will never have those beautiful golf course views. My frugal side can't make peace with the club membership. It won't get any cheaper as the years pass, that's for sure. If it works for you, great. But don't be naive about how easily your neighbors can spend Other Peoples Money.

CBS construction is CBS construction, no matter where you are in South Fl. Rialto cuts some cosmetic corners, such as using bifold doors on closets, and a knockdown wall finish. For those prices they shouldn't be so cheesy. But I think the shell of the house is just about the same on either side of I95. Toll Bros should know wood 2nd floors don't make sense here. Rialto shouldn't put so many side entry garages on zero lot line houses. Everyone ends up leaving their cars outside and it looks junky. Toll decorates their models nicely, but don't let it distract you from how easily you can turn around in the laundry room or how well the kitchen floor plan flows. Some things can be fixed, and others can't.

Good luck finding the home that makes the most sense for you and your family.
I think this describes the two pretty accurately. Little things at Rialto drove us nuts. Just the fact that they don’t die the cement on the roof and leave it as gray drove my wife nuts. I think they are put together just as well as any other new home, but you could tell a difference in the little things. Not customizable at all either. There options book was 6 pages, where the one we went through at GL was close to 80. You pick one color cabinet for the house, and every kitchen/bathroom gets the same one. Not a big deal to some, but a deal breaker for others. Plus the huge lot fees and price increases drove us away. If I had looked in Rialto 3 years ago, I probably would have looked past the little things, as the prices were probably undervalued. I feel like they have gone in the other direction now and it is overvalued.
I have heard nothing but good things about Toll Brothers, but it did bother me about the second floor being all wood. The answer I got is that because they don’t build square block houses, they have to use wood to be able to shape and create beautiful homes. How true is that? Beats me. I am not a construction expert. Our GL home is CBS to the top, except for one small section in the front upstairs bedroom that is curved and shaped so they use some wood for the walls. Again, it drove me nuts, but I was told that is what they have to do to shape it. I have to agree, the homes in Rialto are quite square/block like.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 AM

66 posts, read 187,565 times
It's been almost a year since moving from Chicago. I can't say enough about our home and community. We have a middle school age son and we are so happy to see more and more families moving here. They just finished the Grand Club House, it's a beautiful bonus to living here. They really make a great effort to offer plenty of dinners & social gatherings so the neighbors can meet each other.

We were paying $2450/mo in assessments downtown Chicago for a condo high-rise so the $550/mo (4200 sq ft home) we pay in HOA that includes lawn care, security, tennis & golf course, beautiful views, etc is a bargain. The social & golf membership is well worth it for us and yes it is more money but that's expected when you live in a country club. The fees/dues are still much less than the other clubs in the area.

We love Jupiter so I say, if you're looking to move it can't hurt to stop by and see what JCC has to offer. I believe they have 85 new homes under construction and sales this year have been good. They do have smaller homes but they also offer the larger homes too, which I think are the more popular homes being built now, at least on our street.

Toll has been nothing but superior and have exceeded our expectations we couldn't be happier, also everyone that lives here are so nice and down to earth. I think that's because it's a growing development and everyone here is excited to build a community together

Old 05-20-2014, 08:05 AM

61 posts, read 160,127 times
I have to echo what WindyCity said. We, too, bought our new home at JCC about a year ago and absolutely love our community and our home. The construction is solid and all the materials used were of the highest quality. The number of options offered was astounding and let us make our home exactly as we wanted it. We were lucky to buy as the market was just beginning to rebound, and base prices have gone up several times since then. Despite that, sales are brisk, and the entire original section of our street is now sold out. Now that the new road is in, sales are underway in the new area as well. The bulk of the sales are in the Heritage Series homes and the Golf Villas (typically ranging from about $600K to $1.2M depending on lot and options chosen). It does not surprise me that the very large Signature homes are not showing huge sales numbers given that customers in that market have many other options and I would think it would be difficult for JCC to compete in that market. In addition to new sales, there have been two resales on our street this year (neither sold at a loss although they were not owned for long; in one case, the owners moved from a Golf Villa to a Heritage series home, and in the other case, the part-year owners decided on a vacation home on the water instead.)

For anyone needing a home immediately, there are typically only very few spec houses available for immediate occupancy. The few that were originally intended as spec recently have been purchased prior to significant construction being completed. So, it usually does take about 10 months for a home to be built (part of this time is due to the permitting process).

The cost of the social membership was not a consideration at all for us, given that my health club membership used to cost about the same amount. JCC has a beautiful, state of the art fitness center that is rarely crowded, and there are additional fitness classes offered at a nominal ($5) fee. We also love meeting our neighbors at dinners and social gatherings.

Again, for anyone wanting to see with their own eyes what's going on in the community, just take a ride on over and visit the models and talk to some of the folks who actually live here. Now that the new clubhouse is complete, life here just gets better and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach