Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,769,033 times

Advertisements

A concrete block building will usually withstand even the most severe hurricane. However, gable end roofs can peel off in anything stronger than a category 1 or 2 storm. Hip roofs, properly fastened, especially those without overhangs, are much stronger and usually withstand even severe storms. Of course you would also need good hurricane shutters and strong doors to keep wind out. If the wind gets in, it can destroy a home .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 AM

58 posts, read 248,288 times
Does anybody have an idea what home hurricane insurance runs on a one mil dollar home?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 PM

230 posts, read 388,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBabyMama View Post
Any fears of hurricane winds knocking down houses? Please forgive my ignorance!
I guess in my long-winded spiel I wasn't explicit enough in my description of what to expect from higher-strength storms. Cat 1 or 2 storms will likely result in no or mild damage to well-built homes (slight-to-moderate roofing material damage likely worst-case). Cat 3 storms might start affecting the actual roofing structure of some homes in areas directly hit (within a few miles of the eye/eyewall), but the majority will hold. Cat 4 and 5 will likely cause widespread structural damage to wood-frame houses, and likely partial-to-complete loss of roofing on CBS or brick homes, again in areas directly hit (within a few miles of the eye/eyewall). Stronger Cat 5s may even begin to damage many CBS and brick structures, but truthfully most of the extreme damage to buildings you see in the most devastating storms is from water...moving water is an extremely powerful force and areas prone to flooding or storm surge will see much greater structural damage. Fortunately as I mentioned before Florida's east coast is not really vulnerable to storm surge (beyond, say, the natural bowl between US 1 and A1A, or barrier islands where they exist). Note also I mentioned the type of damage associated with areas immediately adjacent to the eye/eyewall...depending on the size and strength of a storm being 20 or 30 miles from the eyewall can mean the difference between feeling the worst effects and dealing with not much more than a solid day of very violent thunderstorms. So, in a nutshell, for wind to severely damage or raze your home you would likely have to experience a statistically extreme storm, and be very close to its eye to boot. Yes, it can happen, but is very unlikely.

Insurance...not sure if insurance prices run linear with home value, but I was just chatting with my brother a few nights ago (he still lives in Jupiter) and he mentioned they are paying roughly $4,000/yr on a house that the Property Appraiser's website shows as appraising in the range of $.5M. Note I am too far removed from everyday life down there and the vagaries of the real estate market to know how closely PAPA's appraisals (not asssessment but actual appraiasl) matches true market value (moved away a little over 5 years ago). Also, keep in mind if you are looking at JCC that just puts you over the magic dividing line for lower insurance rates (aka west of the Turnpike...and his house isn't) for whatever that is worth.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 PM

355 posts, read 913,954 times
I have $850k home on canal within walking distance to beach.
Pay about $3500 a year for everything. My house is over 50 years old and has never had any hurricane damage.
The most important thing to look for is CBS construction and impact glass or good shutters. Anything less you will get screwed on insurance.

I'd highly recommend a generator too unless you plan on skipping town if a storm comes. Being without power for even a few hours is brutal.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,599,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
A concrete block building will usually withstand even the most severe hurricane. However, gable end roofs can peel off in anything stronger than a category 1 or 2 storm. Hip roofs, properly fastened, especially those without overhangs, are much stronger and usually withstand even severe storms. Of course you would also need good hurricane shutters and strong doors to keep wind out. If the wind gets in, it can destroy a home .
The blocks will still be there but kiss everything else goodbye if it's a Major one.

Hurricane Andrew CAT 5

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach