Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:58 PM

60 posts, read 431,063 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

I will be moving to WPB soon and am looking for some advice on where to live. I would like to eventually get a house.... nothing fancy, just a regular middle-class neighborhood that is safe... 3-4 bedroom, $250k max. I would be moving from Miami. I was recently driving around WPB on an "exploration" trip and noticed a nice area around Summit Blvd / Haverhill Rd / Jog Rd... around where the library and the WPB government offices are. How is that area? Is it safe? I tend to like older homes and am attracted to the downtown WPB area but I keep hearing that it is a bad area and it scares me a bit. I am single and have no kids, so "school quality" is not an issue right now. But even with that said, I tend to like neighborhoods that are friendly and family-oriented. I am social and like to know my neighbors. Any info or suggestions you guys could give me would be VERY much appreciated! Thanks! Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 10:13 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,252,598 times
What section are you moving from? I could try to compare it and tell you what to expect.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:39 PM

I live "down south"... in the Palmetto Bay area. I really would like to keep that same kind of feeling... middle-class neighborhood with normal houses with nice big yards... family-type atmosphere. On the flip side, I also like older neighborhoods with nice architecture... that is why I had some interest in the downtown WPB area. Are you familiar with the area near the WPB government offices? That seemed like a decent area. I appreciate your help!

Old 09-23-2007, 06:03 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,036,633 times
Did you look in Wellington?

Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,500,227 times
Jupiter is really nice and their beaches are wonderful!!!!!!
the homes are older and if you want to spend 250,000 you can get something. I think of all of the areas we have now seen since we moved here a week ago, it is my favorite.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:00 AM

Hi Lilybeans... I have heard that Wellington is nice and have added that as one of my places to look. SKB... thank you for the input! I will add Jupiter as a place to look. So far, my list consists of Wellington, Royal Palm Beach and now Jupiter. I would also appreciate some info on places within West Palm Beach... from what I am reading, the places west of the turnpike are very nice... but also a bit more expensive. I am also concerned about commute time if I move out west too far. I am also interested in the downtown WPB area as it has the old architecture that I like, but I am concerned about the crime... any thoughts on that? From what I have seen so far, I have seen a crazy trend... condos tend to cost the same or more than houses in WPB. What is up with that? LOL Thanks so much! Rich

Old 09-23-2007, 10:47 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
$250k MAY get you into a house in one of the historic neighborhoods South of Okeechobee, and East of I-95, which are not the dangerous "downtown" neighborhoods like Northwood, and North of Banyan. But it will probably be 2 bedroom. It's worth a look around.

Jupiter is certainly a very safe option, but there's no "historic" charming area, as it's much more new. Where will you be working/commuting to?

Downtown condos are going down in price, currently. Do a realtor.com search for 33401, and look for properties (condos, townhouses, and homes) SOUTH of Banyan Blvd.

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

Old 09-23-2007, 10:56 AM

Hi TriMT7... I would be working in the area of the Palm Beach Airport... so I guess you could say central WPB. I took a look at Jupiter on the map and it would be a no go. I am trying to live at WPB or below... my folks live in Miami and the further up the coast I go, the longer drive time it is for them. I wouldn't mind living west of the turnpike, but the commute time scares me a bit... how would that be traffic wise? I have been told Greenacres is nice also. Thanks... Rich

Old 09-23-2007, 12:41 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,252,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAboyTM View Post
Hi TriMT7... I would be working in the area of the Palm Beach Airport... so I guess you could say central WPB. I took a look at Jupiter on the map and it would be a no go. I am trying to live at WPB or below... my folks live in Miami and the further up the coast I go, the longer drive time it is for them. I wouldn't mind living west of the turnpike, but the commute time scares me a bit... how would that be traffic wise? I have been told Greenacres is nice also. Thanks... Rich
Greenacres is not nice. It is one of Palm Beach County's many "weird" central sections (along with Lake Worth, Palm Springs, Lantana, etc.). There are some new areas of Greenacres out west, but the main city is not a good place to live... lots of gangs, strange looking people, etc.

If you're Hispanic you might want to look into "El Cid", a historic Hispanic neighborhood in downtown WPB. Just a warning though: the houses prices run pretty high there, though I'm not sure about condos/apartments.

Generally west of the turn pike has better areas, there are many areas of WPB that are nice but also many you'd want to avoid. Wellington seems a bit too far out west for you, and even then it's mostly new buildings so it wouldn't have the old-time,historic look you're craving...

Are there any cities in the southern section of the county (Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Boca Raton, etc). you're considering? If so I can give you info on those, too, but considering the commute I'd assume not. Besides your job, is there a reason you're moving here?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:15 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy
If you're Hispanic you might want to look into "El Cid", a historic Hispanic neighborhood in downtown WPB. Just a warning though: the houses prices run pretty high there, though I'm not sure about condos/apartments.
Ummm, El Cid is not a "Hispanic area", despite it's name, lol. It's full of rich white people. It's name is historic, and the streets are named after SPANISH (as in SPAIN) cities.

The areas just West and around of El Cid, but still in the historic neighborhoods, such as Grandview Heights, Sunshine Park, Flamingo Park, etc. could be an option to look into. "SOSO" (South of Southern) was a trendy place to be for a while, but again, also expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBABoyTM
Palm Beach Airport is a straight shot along Southern Blvd, which takes you into Wellington, but the commute can be crappy or fast, depending on traffic. AND, if your folks are taking I-95 up, Wellington is actually further West from PBI and I-95 than Jupiter is North from PBI (But the turnpike will avoid that tacked on commute).

You CAN get condos in downtown West Palm Beach in your price range, though..... (but be wary of HOA fees!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach