Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,678 times

Advertisements

HI, my husband has been offered a job in Boca and we are thinking about making the move from NJ down there with our family. We have two girls one will need to go into prek next year. I want to move into an area thats family friendly and has good schools. I also want to rent a home instead of an apartment if possible and our max would be $2100. Any suggestions on where to look and some town or area names so we can begin our search for the new home..
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,603,557 times
Have you been here yet? Not sure where in Boca your husband will be working, but your probably looking at $2500+ for a single family home in a nice location. Also the market is really tight for rentals due to the poor home market, so competition for available rentals is tight. Also you will need 3 months of rent up from, 1st/Last/Security when you sign the lease. = $7,500

Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM

7 posts, read 20,300 times
Eva86, funny we are from Nj with 2 kids making the same move. I guess a lot of people from NJ are leaving.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:26 PM

623 posts, read 1,305,164 times
It's like a mass exodus from NY and NJ. Not only to Florida, but just getting out of the ratrace and away from the high COL. GL, FLORIDA is amazing.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,407,354 times
I agree SAK but if people think its bad here well then they havent seen where we moved from in NC...I will leave it at that...I have quite a few neighbors here from my part of NJ and its funny when u get to talking everyone seems to leave for the same reasons..I tell people the Grass isn't greener on the other side it is just Different

Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 PM

Soon much of what everyone is trying to escape will follow them here, I know a lot of people from NY/NJ who are moving to PA to avoid the pitfalls.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Soon much of what everyone is trying to escape will follow them here, I know a lot of people from NY/NJ who are moving to PA to avoid the pitfalls.
this is so true...the way I see it is no matter where you run too you are going its just Different Problems or Issues...they might not be the same as where u came from but there is just no perfect place or Utopia as I call it

Old 05-05-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
this is so true...the way I see it is no matter where you run too you are going its just Different Problems or Issues...they might not be the same as where u came from but there is just no perfect place or Utopia as I call it
A lot of people are escaping the taxes in Jersey, moving to the border along PA, Allentown and Easton are popular. I have some family in NJ some are young enough to stay put others like my aunt and uncle are nearing retirement, they are planning on either staying in their house which is paid for but the taxes are insane or moving to PA to a friendly COL locale.

I also know some people who were from NJ and left here because they said it was getting "nuts", they moved to Cary, NC.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Yes my property taxes in NJ when we left were 12k a year....My taxes in NC were 2000 a Year...We don't own here but our rent is high....We looked in PA too as my family is in NY and South NJ but we really hate the cold...lol

Old 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,839 times
My husband and I are in our mid fifties and we will be moving from England to Boca Raton with our son, later this year. My husband is being transferred with his job. We have taken holidays in Florida and fallen in love with the place but realise having holidays and living somewhere permanently will be completely different, but we can't wait. We will be renting for the first six months then hope to buy a place. I have looked on lots of realtors sites and some give the property tax, monthly insurance and HOA fees. Is the property tax similar to our council tax? In the UK we have insurance to cover the cost of the building and the contents and we just insure with the company of our choice, is that similar to the monthly insurance quoted on the realtor sites? We do not pay HOA fees, I understand they vary widely and cover various things. What do they cover?
I would appreciate any information as things will be so different to what we are used to.
I've been looking at many houses for sale, are there any areas we should keep clear of?
Thank you for any help given
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach