Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:15 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,143,318 times

Advertisements

I've been to the WPB station ONCE and these ***MOD CUT*** guys tried to rob us. I was helping a French girl by taking her to the station and we were there no more than a minute when these ***MOD CUT*** males started opening her baggage and going through it. The train came before they found anything valuable.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 05-26-2011 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: unneeded info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 10:39 AM

1,584 posts, read 983,305 times
Default Safety questions on non-car sightseeing in WPB and PB

All, thanks for the feedback. It was really helpful.

It turned out the level of danger I had read about in PB and WPB was grossly exaggerated, at least during the time of day I visited and where I went. The Tri-Rail stop in West Palm Beach was well populated during the 9 AM weekday general time frame and seemed fine. There was a #1 bus leaving from right here anyway, which went right by the Norton Museum from the station. Not sure if I'd necessarily want to wander a long way off the immediate area by the station the bus drove through (or be here late at night), but it looked safely walk-able that time of day, at least.

I also did the walking between the Norton Museum and the Palm Beach attractions with no problems and saw all I had planned, though this was probably helped some by the fact that the Society for the Four Arts only had its sculpture garden open that day (was a little too late in the year for any gallery viewing).

Also managed to get back downtown via bus and catch the #1 south to Boca Raton to see its small art museum later on, which was open that evening. It was a short walk to catch a loop bus going to the Boca Tri-Rail station from there.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:48 AM

179 posts, read 566,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Was originally considering a day trip up to West Palm Beach and Palm Beach from Miami without using a car or taxis. I dislike renting cars or using taxis (will normally refuse this), and can't ride a bike. Initial research suggested the following to be manageable:

6:23 or 6:53 AM Airport Flyer Bus to Airport – change to commuter rail 7:00 or 7:40 AM departure – go to West Palm Beach station

Take #1 bus to

10:00 AM – Norton Museum of Art
walk to

12:00 PM – Society of the Four Arts
walk to

1:00 PM – Bethesda-by-the-Sea Church
walk to

2:00 PM – Flagler Museum
walk to

4:00 PM – The Breakers
#41 bus from S. County Rd. to WPB train station (3:15, 4:15, 5:15 PM)

On the half hour from 4:30 PM onward, take commuter rail back to Miami.

Note that the amount of walking from the Norton Museum to the Breakers totals ca. 1.5 to 2 miles, which is no problem for me from a physical standpoint.

However, further research suggests that this is likely an unwise itinerary to undertake for safety reasons. Have seen reports of people being robbed at the WPB commuter rail station and understand that the area there and surrounding is awful, and waiting for a bus there can be very unsafe. Have seen concerns about taking public transportation through the general area of WPB between the train station and the Norton Museum, and back to the train station from Palm Beach. Also have seen concerns about the safety of the area around the Norton Museum and of possible spillover into pockets of Palm Beach across the bridges here. All reports suggest downtown WPB and northward are not good either, though I don't expect to be here.

I've done a fair bit of travel and have taken public transport or walked through notably urban areas on main streets during daylight hours in other cities with no ill effects. I also dress down when I travel -- nothing fancy or expensive (jeans, t-shirt, no wrist watch or jewelry). What I'm seeing about the WPB area seems different, and I'm not keen to leave myself open for robbery or assault.

My feeling at this point is to scrap this whole idea.

Feedback is requested to help make a decision.

Can not understand why you would feel that downtown WPB is such a crime riddled area. I not only feel safe here, but I try to encourage people to feel the same. You can get out and enjoy yourself!! In today's world you can make yourself a target in any of your more metropolized areas.
I would assume that even Mayberry has even changed since the Andy Taylor era!!You always have to be vigilant, but you don't have to be paranoid. You will never relax, and have a good time like that.
A far a dress code: You dress accordingly, no need for bunches of jewelry for a stroll around town, but I don't see why you shouldn't know what time it is??
I say to wear your watch, don't want to be late for anything

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach