Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 06:11 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,033,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
We STILL haven't had our first freeze yet. Weird.
And despite the snow this morning, we still haven't gone below freezing. Good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 07:52 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,420,714 times
No freeze yet, looks like no freeze for the month of November (I hope its the same way for December).

Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,200,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
No freeze yet, looks like no freeze for the month of November (I hope its the same way for December).
What's your latest first freeze ever? I would guess not too deep into December. Ours is something like December 8th I believe. But I'd guess the only place to not see a freeze by New Year's would be along the gulf coast, Florida and coastal California. I just checked the Central Park data and only two lows in the 30's this month and 3 in October, talk about mild.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:24 PM

26,498 posts, read 46,951,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
What's your latest first freeze ever? I would guess not too deep into December. Ours is something like December 8th I believe. But I'd guess the only place to not see a freeze by New Year's would be along the gulf coast, Florida and coastal California. I just checked the Central Park data and only two lows in the 30's this month and 3 in October, talk about mild.
That is a classic case of the heat island combined with a very mild weather pattern. I am watching those warm SSTs in the Gulf of Maine. This will likely cause the next coastal storm to be rain again. After that, the GFS indicates the cold should intensify east of the Rockies causing precip to fall as snow just about everywhere. I will believe in the cold solution more once we get a decent snowpack going east of the Rockies Until then, I take the GFS as mostly fantasy after the day 5-7 time period

Old 11-28-2009, 08:28 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,200,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is a classic case of the heat island combined with a very mild weather pattern. I am watching those warm SSTs in the Gulf of Maine. This will likely cause the next coastal storm to be rain again. After that, the GFS indicates the cold should intensify east of the Rockies causing precip to fall as snow just about everywhere. I will believe in the cold solution more once we get a decent snowpack going east of the Rockies Until then, I take the GFS as mostly fantasy after the day 5-7 time period
That is true about the snowpack east of the Rockies. To the best of my knowledge there is no snowpack in the Dakota's or northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. That is usually a given by now, at least for Minnesota and Wisconsin. Come to think of it, does anywhere east of the Rockies have snow on the ground right now?

Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
That is true about the snowpack east of the Rockies. To the best of my knowledge there is no snowpack in the Dakota's or northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. That is usually a given by now, at least for Minnesota and Wisconsin. Come to think of it, does anywhere east of the Rockies have snow on the ground right now?
The snowpack is pretty much nonexistant east of the Rockies. It is going to have to start snowing in many areas over the next couple of weeks for the cold air to have any teeth. If the snowpack does not materialize the arctic airmasses will modify very quickly. I know this because I lived many years in the Plains. However, the teleconnections would indicate that it will stay cold east of the Rockies for much of December. The NAO and AO indicies are forecasted to stay in negative territory. The PNA is forecasted to be slightly positive. This "should" correlate to more cold outbreaks east of the Rockies. From studying the models, it would appear that this upcoming winter will be one that could be very changeable. It seems like we have a very active -PNA pattern with mild air across much of the US (Nov) or the non-active +PNA which would favor more cold. This general trend could flip back and forth a few times this winter. I am banking on a continuation of the weak to moderate ENSO event as well, although I am not sure how much of an impact it will have for the overall jet stream pattern. Typically, a split flow is common during El Nino winters with the subtropical jet becoming more active and the polar jet being displaced further north than average. When the two jet streams phase, we could see an increased likelihood of cyclogenesis along the East Coast.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,420,714 times
Quote:
I can't find the date but I read that the average first freeze is 11/8 (for Newark, NJ about 5 miles west of Manhattan) so I imagine its probably a few days after that for NYC. There's no sub-32F temps in the 7-day forecast but they're in the 15-day forecast (which isn't too reliable). I'd be happy if Winter stayed like this.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:08 PM

9,802 posts, read 16,278,731 times
Here in Minnesota, the neighbor was plowing a field tonite and combines are still getting stuck in the low spots.

Most years, after Armistice/Veteran's Day ( Nov11) it is "iffy" due to frost in the ground.

December 1 is the first day fish houses are allowed on lakes.
I doubt there will be any on the lakes come Tuesday.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Here in Minnesota, the neighbor was plowing a field tonite and combines are still getting stuck in the low spots.

Most years, after Armistice/Veteran's Day ( Nov11) it is "iffy" due to frost in the ground.

December 1 is the first day fish houses are allowed on lakes.
I doubt there will be any on the lakes come Tuesday.
Ya, it is mild now. However, I see the cold gaining some strength over the next week or so. By early December (before the 10th) I am expecting one possible arctic outbreak. We will see...

Old 12-02-2009, 12:08 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,828,174 times
We just had our first frost of the season here in Vancouver last night.....it is almost a month later than average (November 5th is our average for the first frost). It seems that many areas are having unusually mild weather....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather