Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,962 times

Advertisements

This is something I am curious about.. when does your area typically see its first and last freeze of the season? What is the average growing days for your area? Also, how many freezes do you see on average per year?

Here are mine, for Portland, TX.

-Average first freeze is around December 25th.
-Average last freeze is around January 30th.
-Typical growing season length is 329 days.
-We normally see 2-4 freezes a year, IF we even have a freeze! Our average overnight low in the coldest part of January is 50°F.

I know WaveRunner did a similar thread to this using weather maps, but I am looking for something with more pinpoint accuracy! Those weather maps were a bit too vague, although quite interesting!

Ian

Last edited by txsizzler; 10-03-2009 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 12:16 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
New York City

First Frost: October 27th
Last Frost: April 13th

I can't find the data for the First Freeze, Last Freeze, and Growing Season, where'd you find out for Portland?

Old 10-04-2009, 06:00 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
This is something I am curious about.. when does your area typically see its first and last freeze of the season? What is the average growing days for your area? Also, how many freezes do you see on average per year?

-We normally see 2-4 freezes a year, IF we even have a freeze! Our average overnight low in the coldest part of January is 50°F.

I know WaveRunner did a similar thread to this using weather maps, but I am looking for something with more pinpoint accuracy! Those weather maps were a bit too vague, although quite interesting!

Ian
I find this topic very interesting as well… as you mentioned. The only way to get pin-point frost/freeze data is using NWS Now Data. You can find it on your local NWS page. The semi-problem with this…is that only certain areas is listed. In the more rural states it can be tough to get data in many spots. I know that sites like the Weather Channel and AccuWeather have information like this…but they are notoriously not very accurate. NOAA is the best bet.

Here is the only NOAA map I have ever seen of the number of frost free days nationwide (I don’t know if you saw this one or not). This might give you some idea of the answer to your question of growing season in USA compared to your area. I did a fairly extensive study here at work using this map…and it was accurate about 95% of the time. It might be hard to see the numbers , but the shading can show your how the lines move south to north. I wish I had something better (lol).

Otherwise, the only thing I know of that is more specific is NOAA Now Data. It’s quite time consuming, but if you use bigger stations you might be able to find what you’re looking for.

As far as my location right now (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)...the growing season is 365 days long. There is no frost (lol).

Old 10-04-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
New York City

First Frost: October 27th
Last Frost: April 13th

I can't find the data for the First Freeze, Last Freeze, and Growing Season, where'd you find out for Portland?
Like WaveHunter mentioned, the best data can be found through the NWS website under the NOW data. Portland, sadly, is not listed in this, so I have had to use other websites, as well as our local chamber of commerece, and the little airport that is a NWS observation post that is about 2 miles NE of where I live here in town.

I love this kind of statistical information, and look forward to seeing what other locales are like!

Ian

Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times
Oklahoma City:

First Freeze: November 4th
Record First Freeze: October 7th
Last Freeze: March 30th
Record Last Freeze: May 3rd
Average Growing Season: 217 days

This is all from Noaa. The only thing that seems to be changing is we are having frost a lot more periodically in April it seems.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Oklahoma City:

First Freeze: November 4th
Record First Freeze: October 7th
Last Freeze: March 30th
Record Last Freeze: May 3rd
Average Growing Season: 217 days

This is all from Noaa. The only thing that seems to be changing is we are having frost a lot more periodically in April it seems.
Thats a good idea.. putting the Record earliest and latest freezes on there as well! Here is Portland, TX. Records:

-Record earliest Freeze: November 13th (1916)
-Record latest Freeze: March 27th (1913)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler
Originally Posted by txsizzler

Ian

Old 10-04-2009, 08:10 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Grand Forks ND

First freeze Sept 20
Last freeze may 12

Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Good topic, but I'm having problems finding info for my exact city. Mine would be fairly comparable to Dan's except just a bit later freeze.

I did find that Oct. 1st is the avg. first freeze and the record 1st freeze was Sept 3rd, 1974. The data is for Sioux Falls, which is nearby.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:21 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Seattle - first freeze Nov 11, last freeze Mar 24. Growing season 231 days

Last edited by Botev1912; 10-05-2009 at 01:39 AM..

Old 10-05-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Seattle - first freeze Nov 11, last freeze Mar 24. Growing season 231 days
Wow.. Seattle has a long growing season!!! Considering how far north it is, its pretty impressive, even considering the coastal locale of it. Compare it with coastal Maine locations, and Seattle is much MUCH longer!

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather