Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:40 PM

358 posts, read 412,888 times

Advertisements

How would the two fare if you compare their coldest states ? Alaska vs Manitoba ? Minnesota vs Saskatchewan ? Which gets more colder during the winter months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 01:42 PM

402 posts, read 191,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel12 View Post
How would the two fare if you compare their coldest states ? Alaska vs Manitoba ? Minnesota vs Saskatchewan ?
Are you forgetting about the territories? Yukon, NWT, Nunavut. I don't believe the U.S. has a climate quite like Alert or Resolute.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:44 PM

358 posts, read 412,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGweather View Post
Are you forgetting about the territories? Yukon, NWT, Nunavut. I don't believe the U.S. has a climate quite like Alert or Resolute.
What I meant was if you compare the coldest places in each country . Ofcourse the places you mention include them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utqiagvik,_Alaska

Quite similar to Alert

Old 01-15-2019, 02:25 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel12 View Post
What I meant was if you compare the coldest places in each country . Ofcourse the places you mention include them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utqiagvik,_Alaska

Quite similar to Alert
Alert's average maximum in January (−28.6°C) is equal to Utqiagvik's average minimum.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:58 AM
tij

453 posts, read 336,895 times
Excluding Alaska (and even including it), the average American lives in a much milder climate compared to the average Canadian. The Southern tier of the US is obviously warmer than all of Canada (perhaps parts of the upper south have colder winters than lower BC, but they rebound much more quickly and are much hotter overall)...

That being said, people in Minneapolis, Milwuakee, Detroit, Chicago, and Upstate NY have similar climate averages to Toronto and Montréal. The northern Midwest and the interior (not the coastal!) Northeast overall have similar weather to southern Canada.

Victoria and Vancouver in fact have milder winters than these cities, or even the east coast ones! So there is a great deal of overlap.. yet I think the Prairie Provinces are generally much colder than what most American people endure... But even Calgary has warmer January averages than Minneapolis due to chinooks, and Edmonton is only a touch colder- although with much harsher records, and much longer winters overall! Only the MB and SK cities are probably completely outside of the range of American cities in terms of climate, and are probably truly "severe," or Siberian climatically.... eastern Canada looks similar to European Russia or the Upper Midwest in terms of cold intensity....

Summerwise though, Canada is cooler than most of the lower 48, except the west Coast (and on California, as you go inland, it becomes hotter than Canada, so really only in PacNW, the California Coast, and the northern parts of Maine and the Midwest have cooler summers than Toronto and Montréal).
I would still guess that the Canadian territories are colder than Alaska due to less maritime influence than in the latter.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tij View Post
Excluding Alaska (and even including it), the average American lives in a much milder climate compared to the average Canadian. The Southern tier of the US is obviously warmer than all of Canada (perhaps parts of the upper south have colder winters than lower BC, but they rebound much more quickly and are much hotter overall)...

That being said, people in Minneapolis, Milwuakee, Detroit, Chicago, and Upstate NY have similar climate averages to Toronto and Montréal. The northern Midwest and the interior (not the coastal!) Northeast overall have similar weather to southern Canada.

Victoria and Vancouver in fact have milder winters than these cities, or even the east coast ones! So there is a great deal of overlap.. yet I think the Prairie Provinces are generally much colder than what most American people endure... But even Calgary has warmer January averages than Minneapolis due to chinooks, and Edmonton is only a touch colder- although with much harsher records, and much longer winters overall! Only the MB and SK cities are probably completely outside of the range of American cities in terms of climate, and are probably truly "severe," or Siberian climatically.... eastern Canada looks similar to European Russia or the Upper Midwest in terms of cold intensity....

Summerwise though, Canada is cooler than most of the lower 48, except the west Coast (and on California, as you go inland, it becomes hotter than Canada, so really only in PacNW, the California Coast, and the northern parts of Maine and the Midwest have cooler summers than Toronto and Montréal).
I would still guess that the Canadian territories are colder than Alaska due to less maritime influence than in the latter.
I largely agree with that but hasten to add that the Wikipedia stats for Edmonton are taken from the UHI downtown site whilst every other city on the prairies has their stats measured at the airport. If you compare apples with apples by looking at the Edmonton airport stats then it becomes apparent that Edmonton winters are closer to Saskatchewan winters than they are to Calgary winters.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:34 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
so really only in PacNW, the California Coast, and the northern parts of Maine and the Midwest have cooler summers than Toronto and Montréal).
The interior BC, WA and OR has very hot summers with average high temperatures around 30-32C in July and August.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:52 AM
tij

453 posts, read 336,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I largely agree with that but hasten to add that the Wikipedia stats for Edmonton are taken from the UHI downtown site whilst every other city on the prairies has their stats measured at the airport. If you compare apples with apples by looking at the Edmonton airport stats then it becomes apparent that Edmonton winters are closer to Saskatchewan winters than they are to Calgary winters.
Ah, I see... How do you think Edmonton's winters would compare to northern Minnesota? Even though places like Int'l Falls are significantly further south than Edmonton (Int'l Falls is south of Paris!!), they average harsher averages- -9/-24 vs -6/-15 (at the heat island, so probably a bit colder outside).. even Fargo has -8/-18 and Duluth has -7/-17, although the MN locations have milder records than Alberta (barely in Int'l Fall's case...)

The American continent gets colder as you go east, so

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sept-%C3%8Eles,_Quebec is borderline subarctic even though it lies well south of Edmonton and at a lower elevation... I almost feel as if the Boundary Waters area would have more of a 'subarctic vibe' than say, the prairie of southern MB.... like frost in the summer! Northeastern MN, Northern Ontario, and Northern Québec are scary for their latitude in my opinion.... Alberta isn't all that bad, considering its latitude and elevation?

How much warmer would Edmonton be at sea level? Similar to Moscow?

Old 01-16-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Ah, I see... How do you think Edmonton's winters would compare to northern Minnesota? Even though places like Int'l Falls are significantly further south than Edmonton (Int'l Falls is south of Paris!!), they average harsher averages- -9/-24 vs -6/-15 (at the heat island, so probably a bit colder outside).. even Fargo has -8/-18 and Duluth has -7/-17, although the MN locations have milder records than Alberta (barely in Int'l Fall's case...)

The American continent gets colder as you go east, so

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sept-%C3%8Eles,_Quebec is borderline subarctic even though it lies well south of Edmonton and at a lower elevation... I almost feel as if the Boundary Waters area would have more of a 'subarctic vibe' than say, the prairie of southern MB.... like frost in the summer! Northeastern MN, Northern Ontario, and Northern Québec are scary for their latitude in my opinion.... Alberta isn't all that bad, considering its latitude and elevation?

How much warmer would Edmonton be at sea level? Similar to Moscow?
Edmonton region is about -6/-18°C in January so similar to Fargo and Duluth I guess. Similar also to Moose Jaw in southern Saskatchewan and places like Atlin, northern British Columbia (latitude 59° north). It's certainly much milder in Edmonton than points at a similar latitude to the east. For example, Norway House, Manitoba, averages -16/-27°C in January. So yes, I agree fully with your assessments.

I don't think moving Edmonton to sea level would improve the climate much in winter; it would probably make a bigger difference in summer.

North America mean winter temperatures:

Source: https://sites.ualberta.ca/~ahamann/data/climatena.html

Old 01-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
I'd argue the summit of Mt Ranier is the coldest place in the lower 48, true EF climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather